Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 20:42

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ...Im back :-)

....Yap.....Yap.........
...time do pass by .

During the time I was out of here (food concerning) I did well...and I did VERY bad.
Have this problem that , I don't know how "to hold/keep" this LC habit for...A LONG LONG period of TIME.

Don't know what is it with me?
...those feeling of deprivations ?
...feeling sometimes different from other around me ?...so why me?
...Am I just "soft" on giving up to those feeling of mine ?
..with the knowledge that those food are bad to my Blood Sugar !!!
BUT,
Knowing is not always enough...to activate this knowledge is the hardest part.
So,
If I want to stay away from Insulin...I must.must.must keep on controling my food the only way I know for now (hopefull in the future they will know more about diabetes)

So.....here I am again.

............LOL......NICE !!!!
I see a speller check here ! (love it)
Can I get a grammar check too ?.....LOL...Please,Please....
(a smart one needs(must) to develop it...maybe will see my post here..he he he)

Last edited by picaboo : Sat, Feb-10-07 at 15:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 15:42

BF:

... I SO afraid thou, I will fall back again (as always)....having those nice BS show me (yesterday and today) that -this is- the -only- way for me to eat.
But,
Here I am in the end always doing "stupid" things.

........... Think I need a psychology!!!!!.........................lol..lol...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 00:47

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Low carb as a way of life is difficult for most
people(that includes me).If you don't want
insulin or meds,you seem to know that you
need to do LC(which appears to have worked
for you in the past).Your choice!
Good luck
Eddie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 01:12

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

we stray from our uphill path because it is hard but... there is a flash flood coming and if we don't want to drown we cannot take the easy (downhill) path...the good news is that here others are walking with you and can give you a hand over the rough patches...
Welcome back

spell check??? where??? I can't find it!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 08:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

It definetely is a hard path to follow and to keep that motivation daily can be a challenge. I have played around with my menus for years figuring out the kinds of things I can eat without having them raise my blood sugar. For me, the key is to have variety so that I don't get to the point where I'm bored with what I'm eating. Slowly, over the years, this WOE is just becoming habit for me. NO, I'm still not perfect and do have the occassional slip, but I know without a doubt that I have to get right back on it and not allow myself that foray into carbdom!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 21:19

BF:

...........I want to thank all of you on your's kind words.
I don't know how to say that...it helps to hear other too.

..................................Thanks :-)))

I must admit something else here too.......
* I'm still not out of the closet yet!
My family (not my close, close one) and friends of mine, they don't know...that I am a Diabetic.
I find that I cannot admit that yet.
Cannot break this image they do have of me of a strong, healthy, athletic woman......especially, when they all tell me about theirs health issues.

I cannot even tell myself (happen that often)that...I AM A DIABETIC.
I've been traveling so many times not taking my Blood test and ignoring my BS on those trips.
Maybe....that is the reason I'm having such a hard time...?...I think I know everything , I'm smart , I'm doing ok and how can I have it ?...it will go away...?....but of course it'll not...just something unexplainable (not rational) with me....
Didn't I say, I need a psychology..............lol..lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 21:32

BF:

.........This evening we went to original home kitchen Mexican restaurant and gee how difficult it was to choose something.
Everything is in Spanish and of course they don't have nothing of - no - flour/ corn flour.
So I choose "manudo" a soup made from the inside (think stomach) of the cow...I love it:-)
It came with 3 small warm flour tortilla. So I told myself... do not touch those one!..........

.....I ate all of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(2h later...and I do not dare to test my BS)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 21:48

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Picabo - why be concerned about folks knowing your diabetic. I actually am pre-diabetic (which I consider a faux diagnosis which really means I am diabetic, not just insurance eligible yet!). I also ate at a Mexican Restaurant today, saw a salad whose only real carbs were a little corn relish. Asked for whatever dressing was no carb. Ate the whole thing.

Part of the success in low carb is finding all of the great alternatives to what you used to eat. A treat at a restaurant might be a side order of shrimp, an extra guacamole.

Check out the gym workouts some of us do. You cannot imagine the fun and self image improvements to be the strongest, cuttest, most toned person around, even if you carry more weight than you want.

You gotta' look at making this life style the best, not a continued regime of deprivation. While those of us who succeed at low carbing do miss some of the things we used to enjoy (crave, die for, love, pig out on) we work at finding replacements which give equal pleasure.

Good luck to you on all of this
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 14:27

BF:

RobLL. thanks so much for your kind words.
As I said before,
Its been a long time I have been dealing with my diabetes and called it : before or after diabetes or any other name, it does not change my diabetes.
I am not on med yet...but soon it looks like I will be, by the way Im doing "stupid things" with my food.

I came back here deciding that this will be the place that will absorb all my complains and frustration and hopefully other will join me with theirs and together ...we will walk the walk with our diabetes :-)))

By taking those frustrations and complaines and by been brutal honest with ourself
...maybe this will be the way to save me /us the need for a psychology....lol...lol...lol
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 14:47

BF:

.............after eating those tortillas.........
My morning BS where high - 164.
...went to the gym did some good workout...kept my lunch LC and hopefully I'll be able to drop this high number.
If not.
...it looks like I really will need to go check my Dr.
But,
I have all the hope I can lower it down.
(knowing "hope" is not the issue here when I am killing those pancreas cells more and more)

Gee............cannot say I love to deal with that.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboo
.........This evening we went to original home kitchen Mexican restaurant and gee how difficult it was to choose something.
Everything is in Spanish and of course they don't have nothing of - no - flour/ corn flour.
So I choose "manudo" a soup made from the inside (think stomach) of the cow...I love it:-)
It came with 3 small warm flour tortilla. So I told myself... do not touch those one!..........

.....I ate all of them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(2h later...and I do not dare to test my BS)

Welcome back Picaboo!
I understand you, but this is a bit of advice: next time ask your server to hold off tortillas and chips, as well as when you fo for mexican food. I always do this in any place: japanese, italian, mexican, etc. I ask them to take away bread basket in italian places, skip rice or noodles in orienatal (if I eat soup I ask for bean sproutes, works very well instead of noodles), etc. This was it is easy to avoid temptations and you save this food from being tossed.
Another way, is to ask for corn tortillas, if you must have it to feel authentic flavor, they have less carbs than flour one. I usually have few chips (they are fried and don't bother my BGs too much), and if I have it with alcohol- no problem whatsoever. I also order black beans only (small portion) and share it with DH, no rice and no tortialls either. Fahitas or steak/fish with salsa verde, anything grilled, there are many choices, just don't eat rice and everything wrapped in tortillas and made with masa like enchiladas.We all humans and it is hard not to sample when it is in front of you, so don't beat yourself over it. I would check my Bgs in purpose after a slip like this, seeing a higher number is by far the best remedy to avoid big cheat next time. I actually always check my Bgs after eating out, this way I know which food affects me the most, and how far I can go with my cheats.
In general, I try to cook and eat at home most of the time, and eat out only on special ocations: vacations, travelling, celebrations, etc. I cook pretty much everything myself, even ethnic foods, and the only food I go out for is sashimi and other japanese delicacy (like monk fish lvier).
You can always find acceptable food in pretty much any cousine, just be carefull and avoid all starches and sweets.
Best regards,
Dina
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 15:01
Registered Member

Quote:
.............after eating those tortillas.........
My morning BS where high - 164.
...went to the gym did some good workout...kept my lunch LC and hopefully I'll be able to drop this high number.
If not.
...it looks like I really will need to go check my Dr.
But,
I have all the hope I can lower it down.
(knowing "hope" is not the issue here when I am killing those pancreas cells more and more)

Gee............cannot say I love to deal with that.

I am sure your Bgs will setlle, one cheat should not ruin it for you. But IMO, the biggest mistake most of us make is that 85 around the clock is easily achievable just by sticking to 30 g cabrsa day, both of which is hard for many different reasons. Diabetes is also progressive, no wants to deal with this desease, but many live long life and doing not bad just by following a good diet, exericse and if needed, using meds or insulin. It is the idea that we must have "normal" Bgs is what making us stressed, but still 80-120 range after meals is completely acceptable even for non-diabetics.
Also, if your FBG is high - eating early Bf and working out will bring it down sooner.
I doubt that pancreatic cells in T2 burn out complletely but we also become more IR as we grow older, and especially menopausal and post-meno women.
But I also hope that more meds will be on market before this happens, and there are also good insulins on market now, so don't despare. Life is too short to stress over something "that may or may not happen".
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 15:47

BF:

Dina,
So great so see ya!!! :-)))))))

Can I adopt you !:-))))Need you in my pocket!!!...he he he

You sound so rational and so right....I think, I need to be this way when I'm dealing with my diabetes.
It was so (((helpful))) for me to read what you wrote.

And I do so much agree with you..........." Life is beautiful" but is it not nice to complain, so healthy too...lol lol lol
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 09:08

BF:

I did so well during the day yesterday then we all went to a bar and gee, I could not find Dina in my pocket....lol...lol..lol...
So...my BS this morning SO SO SO bad - 186
...hope with day goes by...I will see lower numbers.

...going to talk to my Dr. today....................

Last edited by picaboo : Tue, Feb-13-07 at 09:14.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 11:34
Registered Member

Quote:
I did so well during the day yesterday then we all went to a bar and gee, I could not find Dina in my pocket....lol...lol..lol...

if you keep me in your pocket, I won't help you, LOL. You need me sitting on your shoulder, so I can shout into your earSeriously, you either need to control yourself, or start using meds or insulin. Since you went to a bar, my guess - mixed drinks, all contain simple syrop, a big NO-NO . next time when you order a drink, go for dry martini, bloody merry, glass of wine, wine, and even dark beer, any spirit straight or on the rocks - but not mixed drinks. I know some control their FBG with a night cap, but for me it works the oppsite, and I pay next day by even higher BGs. I think it is rebound from alcohol caused hypo. Another advice: eat some protein and fat before you drink.
Hope you dr can find a solution for you.
Good luck.
D.