Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 14:29

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default Advice Required Re: Gym

when goin to the gym to try and lose weight, im aware u have to be careful not to turn fat in to muscle but how do you do that? is there something u need to know to prevent this? any info would be great
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 16:29

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Not possible

You can't turn fat into muscle.

You lose / burn fat and grow muscle through working out. How much muscle you get is a function of how hard you work, with lots of variables. How much fat you lose is a function of how hard you work out, plus how much (or not) you eat, and which plan.

Somewhere between the two is the body you want. You might want to talk to one of the professionals at the gym to help you design a program that will start you in the right direction.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 16:40

ok

yeh i ment that the work u put in to lose weight how u avoid buildin muscles at the same time?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 18:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Don't worry about building too much muscle-- just weight train as hard as you can, and then 2-3 times a week do some cardio for 20 mins. or so. Weight train first, cardio after. It is extremely hard for women to build a lot of muscle. However-- weight training will help you lose weight, and reshape your body. Don't be afraid of weight training-- it is where you will find the body you're wanting.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 19:13

realy? but wat if weights make me had big muscles? im also realy worried about the skin not goin back to normal my doc said as im 20 the skin is stil elasticated so wont be a prob, but on tv the other day i saw a 22 yr old girl have to hav a op to cut away the ecess as it didnt go bk to normal, wat if that happens to me?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 22:36

BF:

First let me say that
Quote:
CS_ Carver gave you good advice: You might want to talk to one of the professionals at the gym to help you design a program that will start you in the right direction.
If you haven't been doing any exercise lately, you will need to ease into it. Since you've recently been to the doctor, I assume he gave you the o.k. to work-out. And don't worry about your skin-- just drink plenty of water, lavish on the lotion, eat well, exercise and enjoy getting healthy and happy with yourself. I think your skin will tighten up quite well. There are threads where it's talked about if you'd like to read what others have had to say on the subject. What you seemed to be worried about is becoming too muscular-- I work hard for muscles, you can take a look at my gallery pictures and see that females just don't bulk up like males. The professional bodybuilders lead a whole nother lifestyle, that you won't be living. So don't let that be a worry for you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 23:00

so drinkin lots of water wil make my skin shrink with the weight loss? cause i hav about ten stone to lose so as u can tel the skin wil ba prob with such a large loss
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 07:28

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 158/136/140 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
I work hard for muscles, you can take a look at my gallery pictures and see that females just don't bulk up like males. The professional bodybuilders lead a whole nother lifestyle, that you won't be living. So don't let that be a worry for you.

I checked your gallery and was inspired. I am aiming for approximately the level of muscle you have. You have the ideal look, imo. Just enough muscle, yet still very feminine looking. That's what I would like to achieve. Approximately how long have you been building muscle...or shall I say, how long did it take you to achieve that look? I am sure a lot of time, commitment and dedication went into it. I currently go the gym three to four days a week and try to make the most of my workouts. I would especially like to develop my arms. I am told I have very nice arms, but I would like to give them a little more definition. Also, my calves are slightly defined...hereditary I guess. I would like to firm an define them a little more too. Any tips you could give me? Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 07:33

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default With all due respect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
realy? but wat if weights make me had big muscles? ....wat if that happens to me?

what are your choices? Staying at your current weight and level of fitness? Most of us have made a decision to change our current situation. In all change, there are simply some variables that are not under full control.

As noted, it is VERY hard for women to get BIG muscles. The semi-pro lady weightlifters / competitive body builders with the ripped muscles you may have seen in magazines or on TV spend HOURS in the gym (and a very few, but certainly not even "many" or "all") may use additional pharmaceutical support to get those bodies.

I come from a family of "easy gainers"--that is, working out with any degree of regularity can develop pretty respectable muscles in this gene pool. However, I'm in no danger of catching up with my brother's build.

So sometimes I sit here and say, "Gee, if I lose weight and work out I may wind up looking like THAT (insert your own version of whatever "THAT" is) and if I do, no-one will want to date me. Hmm... look at my dance card--I'm doing so great right now? (actually, I'm doing fine enough, thank you, but the point can still be made.) I made a decision that the way I was living was not the way I wanted to live for the rest of my life. In making that decision, I also decided to accept the challenges that may arise along the new path. To date, nothing has come up in my new way of eating and appearance that I couldn't find a way to handle.

I hope you can find your own way into this WOL. It is surely not boring.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 08:00

BF:

xnikx, here are some threads where loose skin is addressed. Water is so vital to all the "going-ons" inside and outside your body. The goal, IMO, is to keep your skin as healthy as possible so it can take care of repairing itself. So water will help carry off the fat, and toxins, and keeping your skin moisturized. Lotions help with moisturizing too. 'Dry brushing' with a bodybrush helps to stimulate circulation and brushing away dead skin cells. Taking fish oils, vitamin E....and I'm sure there are others, are reported to help as well. http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?searchid=613492 Don't obsess about it, just do what you need to do to lose your extra weight, and take care of your skin along the way. As young as you are, just be patient with your skin-- it won't just snap back, it takes a little while for it to tighten up. I think you'll be fine.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 08:07

BF:

H2OGoddess: Thank-you for your compliments . I am 49 years old, I started weight training at about 31 years old-- I was very dedicated to it for about 4 years, then I remarried and moved, throwing everything into a tail spin. I continued to train for a couple of years off and on, but eventually stopped completely. I started back last summer at 48. I did have the advantage of "memory muscle" so my muscles came back rather quickly. I'm glad you are already weight training, how long have you been doing it? Arms are the easiest bodyparts to get to looking good. With all weight training, you need to be lifting heavy enough to cause your muscles to do more than they are use. Use good form and go slow, squeeze at the contraction of each rep. and be sure to feel the negitive (coming out of the contraction). I'll check to see if you have a gym log. If you do I'll see what you are already doing and make any suggestions I think might be helpful. Do you have a routine that you like? As far as legs go-- walking lunges are famous for reshaping and defining legs. I do 3 sets of 30 each leg, no extra weight. I just started doing them. My legs are my worst part. I still have way too much fat on them for them to look good. You can take a look at my gym log and possible get ideas. I don't know if I said anything helpful, but don't mind giving my opinion on any other questions you might have.

Last edited by galatia : Wed, Mar-30-05 at 08:16.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 08:09

BF:

cs_carver: Excellent post!! And fun to read!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 10:01

galatia want to be my personal trainer lol

carver i duno wat WOL means?

i just realy dont want to have that stretchy skin as a result cause i dont no if i could go thru surgery to hav it removed
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 10:02

galatia

the link said no matchs found?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 11:03

BF:

This is not the thread I was looking for, I'll keep looking for it. In the mean time you can read this one, if it works: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&highlight=skin They are mainly saying-- it takes time for your skin to shrink back down. But like cs-carver says, what are your options. Would you NOT lose weight if you thought you'd have some loose skin? And how will you know if you don't lose the weight whether you will or not. So, you just have to have faith it'll all work out fine stay focused on that. Do all you can do, and I'm sure you'll end up being very pleased with your achievements.

WOL = Way of Life