Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Asparagus with Garlic

I made this tonight because if I ate another piece of beef, I would have cried, lol. I am sure a many of you have tried something like this in the quest for low carb recipes, but I'll call it Sauteed Asparagus with Garlic

Amounts vary according to how much you would like to make, but it fairly fool proof so exact measurement are not at all of importance You will need:
Asparagus
Minced Garlic
Butter (I also used a little Olive Oil towards the end)
Salt
Pepper

I saw that 3.5oz of fresh Asparagus were 2 carbs, so since I had only had 5 carbs up until then, I decided to make a 1/2 pound and make it a meal instead of a side. But you may use as little or as much as you like of course Anyway, chopped up the asparagus into a 2" pieces, heat butter (as much as you like) and 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic (from a jar, about 1.5 carbs) in a pan on medium heat, once the garlic started to brown I tossed in the asparagus. I added pepper and a little salt and sauteed until the asparagus were tender but not squishy. This was just a trial but I am in love with this now. I am having it again tomorrow and it hardly takes any prep time and only about 15 minutes to cook!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 00:18

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I did almost the exact same recipe but with string beans a week ago and it was fantastic!

GArlic really does make anything taste better doesn't it?

I blanched the string beans first in some boiling water for 5 minutes before sauteeing them with the butter and garlic and olive oil. Also topped with some asiago cheese!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 14:51
Registered Member

BF:

Oooh, I have Asiago cheese! Great idea!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/219/185 Male 6 foot 2
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default your cougar

when did you sell your yellow cougar?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 22:13
Registered Member

BF:

How did you know I had a yellow Cougar? Anyway, it was back in September.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 16:03

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I do the same thing and it's great. Sometimes I spice it up by sprinkling in Parmesan cheese at the end. One tip I like: Leave the asparagus in spears but cut them in half vertically. It's a little tricky at first-- kinda like asparagus surgery! But you'll get the hang of it and cut them perfectly in no time. That way the inside of the asparagus soaks up the juices and you don't get the chewy, stringy pieces.