Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 07:29

Plan: -----------------
Stats: 151.5/148.0/132 Female 161cm
BF:Do I dare find out
Progress: 18%
Default spaghetti squash ??

can someone pls explain how this can be used or cooked in place of spaghetti ?? I hear alot about it. Is it availble in OZ ?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 12:43
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Sorry noone has replied to this thread.
Spaghetti squash isn't exactly like spaghetti, but it does have the same look and somewhat the same texture as pasta aldente.
I find the easiest way to cook it is to slice it in half length wise, scoop out the seeds and cook open side down in the microwave in a pan of about 1/4 inch of water. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until finger print on the top leaves a little transparent circle.

When it's done, scoop out the insides with a fork and serve either plain with butter, or as you would pasta.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 13:03
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

^
What she said. It's wonderful!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 13:11

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Scoop it out with a fork and you get spaghetti strands. I love it because it can be used for many different dishes. Savory as in spaghetti with marinara sauce, or sour cream, cinnamon and sweetener and cut up like rice to make a mock rice pudding.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-09, 19:29

Thank you everyone !! I've been missing my spaghetti & meatballs. I'll give it a go.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 02:37

Plan: LC re-start
Stats: 139/139/120 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Heya Samina,

I was just looking up Spaghetti Squash online the other day as I saw it in a LC recipe recently and thought perhaps it went under a different name in OZ. I don't ever remember seeing it at the markets but am going to have a good look next time I go as they should be in season (I think they are a winter vege like pumpkin??).

Let me know how you go and if you find any over in your neck of the woods

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 03:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I poke a fewholes in mine and microwave till done. It is ymmy with any sort of sauce that you would put on pasta:-)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 03:59
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been keeping an eye out here for the last few years, but alas, I haven't seen any. I'll give you a coo-ee if I ever find any.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 05:19

Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I'm in Mount Barker Adelaide and a few weeks ago found some for the first time in our fruit and veg store. I went back in the other day to get more only to be told it is now out of season and wont be around till April/May next year. They called it vegetable spaghetti.

I scraped out the seeds, then just cooked it for 10 minutes in my pressure cooker and then scooped it out like spaghetti.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaiden9
I'm in Mount Barker Adelaide and a few weeks ago found some for the first time in our fruit and veg store. I went back in the other day to get more only to be told it is now out of season and wont be around till April/May next year. They called it vegetable spaghetti.

I scraped out the seeds, then just cooked it for 10 minutes in my pressure cooker and then scooped it out like spaghetti.

Thanks for that, at least now I know it goes by a different name here. Harris Farm is quite a large fruit and vege shop, perhaps they might sell it.......
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 07:37

Thanks Rosebud & Lil Ozzi,

There you go Ozzi - it's also know as vegetable spaghetti. Harris Farm is down the road, I'll let you all know if they have it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 08:37

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Vegetable spaghetti is a wonderful substitute for pasta if all you are really craving is the sauce. It has a very light flavor and it is a very good vehicle for that homemade alfredo or marinara, as long as you aren't expecting the same taste as wheat pasta.

Some of you are having trouble finding it...it is widely available here in so California at nearly any grocery store, year round. However if that's not the case where you live, consider growing your own. They are cucurbita pepo, same species as pumpkins, and you grow them exactly the same way. Seed catalogs all have vegetable spaghetti seeds, and a few have semi-bush forms (takes up less space than regular vines). They can store for months just like pumpkins.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1113/221
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 19:18

BF:

Ahhhh.... thanks girlbug. I will be creating a vege patch soon so I will definately look into growing spaghetti squash. They sound great!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 20:29

Default I found it ! At Harris Farm

Hello fellow aussie friends.., I rang up Harris Farm and they told me they do sell them, however the season for it has finished, but they rang around some stores to find it for me and turns out I'm in luck !!! I've asked the manager to set 4 aside for me to pick up tonight....yayyy ! $3.99 kg.

they also go by the name of Marrow.....

Do you ladies have Harris Farm there ?? Good luck, I really hope you have luck finding it. I'm going to make "spaghetti " and meatballs tonight....I'll let you know how it tastes.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 22:34

BF:

I am SOOOO jealous! I don't have Harris Farms over my side of the country. Are they a chain of Fruit&Veg markets?

Marrow.... this sounds more familiar. Will be on the hunt to find any left over from the season.

Good work Detective Samina! :P