Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 19:01

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/182/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Advice on elliptical purchase

Hi, I really want to purchase an elliptical to use in addition to my treadmill. I'm thinking, 30 min on each back to back, or one in the morning and one at night. But I'd like some advice on what to buy. I had my heart set on running into the discount store and getting one for about $250 but then I read many reviews that criticized the cheaper ones for being unstable and not having a long enough stride for the legs or stretch for the arms.

I'm 5'6 so I'm not really tall but I guess I would need a comfortable stretch to make it worthwhile. The reviews suggested an 18" stride and that would be closer to $1,000. Actually, they said to not spend less than a grand.

Any thoughts on this? Do any of you have the less expensive models and are happy with them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

In my experience exercise equipment is in the you get what you pay for category.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKarbLisa
Hi, I really want to purchase an elliptical to use in addition to my treadmill. I'm thinking, 30 min on each back to back, or one in the morning and one at night. But I'd like some advice on what to buy. I had my heart set on running into the discount store and getting one for about $250 but then I read many reviews that criticized the cheaper ones for being unstable and not having a long enough stride for the legs or stretch for the arms.

I'm 5'6 so I'm not really tall but I guess I would need a comfortable stretch to make it worthwhile. The reviews suggested an 18" stride and that would be closer to $1,000. Actually, they said to not spend less than a grand.

Any thoughts on this? Do any of you have the less expensive models and are happy with them?

I have Precor, home model, very good but it was around $2,400. When we shopped for elleptical, I tried Scwinn elliptical, and it was not bad, quite and sturdy. I still think Precor ellptical is the best but they do cost more. I suggest go to retail store and try different models, and then you can order it on-line or get on sale. But don'tbuy anything that costs $250 or in this price range, waste of money.
http://www.elliptical-trainer-super...ptical-_-566056
I also suggest not to buy with arm handles, its counter productive, and your arms will get tired faster than your legs. If you won't use them, they will flapping in your face, not fun either.
JMO
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 06:40

BF:

Hi, Dina,

When you say arm handles - are you talking about the movable "rowers" or the ones that just sit there for you to hold on to? I thought the rower handles were necessary for it to be a true elliptical experience?

I used to use a bike that had the movable arms and you're right, my arms would get tired and I had to just put them on my legs and the handles would be flying past my head like they were going to knock me out!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 08:50

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thrift shops, Play it Again, Sam?

How about Craig's List, eBay?

My BF got a good deal on a used BowFlex on Craig's list. I buy my equipment at the Habitat Thrift Shop in town. Some towns have a Play It Again, Sam store that sells used sports equipment.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 13:52
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Just wanted to point out that Amazons Gold Box deal of the day is an elliptical that normally lists at 799 for 499 with free shipping. It has 4.5 stars and all positive reviews. It seems like a good choice for someone in the market for one, especially their first. The only downside is that they will only have it for this price today and it is almost certainly going to go up by at least $100 by tomorrow (assuming they don't sell out) and it makes it more of an impulsive decision. Of course you can return it within 30 days with Amazon and it comes with a warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-430-E...0311964-4158447

For key features it lists:

BioGlide motion technology allows for a natural-feeling stride
BioFit comfort footpads and handlebars
Grip heart rate on handlebars
18-inch stride length
Eight computer-controlled resistance levels
Eight workout programs: manual, six profile programs, and calorie goal
Quick Start function
Eddy current brake resistance
Dimensions: 62 inches long by 27 inches wide by 64 inches tall
Three feedback programs: recovery mode, results mode, BMI
Transport wheels for easy movement
Water bottle holder
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 14:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I have an Ironman 500e and loooove it!! It was about $700. Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 19:37

BF:

Wow, that Schwinn one is a great deal! I can't get it today but I'm going to watch it until payday Friday, lol! Maybe it won't go up too much. Free shipping is saving me about $80.

There is a place called Fitnessquest.com where you can buy equipment and do the flex pay - pay a small amount down and then they break the balance into equal payments. It's not financing, but you have to use your credit card. I was going to go with one from there but the only one that had the 18 in. stride was $1000. It's always better if I can just pay it at once and pay less.

thanks for all of the great input. I'll get something next weekend from somewhere and update the thread....
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 20:32
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just thought I would lend my input. I have a Weslo elliptical that cost me around $300 with the arm levers. It has 10 coached programs on it and heart rate monitor on the display screen. It is okay for me and I have had it for over a year and it is used by myself and my 2 daughters.

I agree that without the arm levers it is counter-productive. Besides.....it does not make your arms tired or sore....but it increases your cardio and calorie burn by using the arm levers simultaneously. It has toned this old booty a lot and I just love it and so do my joints. I have a treadmill too and do use it on the days I don't use elliptical to keep the muscles surprised.

HN
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 16:12

BF:

Thanks to you too, HerbNurse! I'm glad to hear so many positives about it, I can't wait to get one. I just hope I don't end up hanging my clothes on it, lol!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 23:41

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I have a nautilus (i dont know which model) We bought it about 3 years ago for at least $2500. It is great to use- it's a good design. Due to lack of space, it has been outside the house, through rain, and sun and everything, and it still works perfectly. When we researched different machines the nautilus came out on top. I'd highly recommend it, if you can maybe find a used one to fit your budget (like i said, they seem to be built like tanks).
Also, i think ellipticals are supposed to have arm levers- every one i've seen at gyms have them-- my arms don't get tired when using it; moving your arms is one of the points of the exercise cuz it burns calories.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 05:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I think mine is a Profit...I'm not sure, but it was about $360, I got it at a salvage place for about 1/2 that . It has the arm things. I get a great cardio work-out with it. It's very good to do HIIT with, because of the arm things. I wear a heart rate monitor and keep a check on it.

I use it about 5 days a week. I'm up to level 5 resistance which keeps my heart rate around 130 average during steady state sessions. I can increase up to resistance 10, but I don't expect I'll ever need that much. My favorite cardio equipment is my elliptical.

I also have a treadmill, which I only use for hill repeats at this time, and a rebounder which I use a lot, and a ski machine which gets very little use. I had a recumbent bike but loaned it to my Mom.

A word about the rebounder. I can always talk myself into using it. It's fun, and is usually the first thing I get on in the mornings during morning cardio. But is much harder to get my heart rate up and maintained with it.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 12:55

BF:

Okay, I got my elliptical - and everybody has nothing but great things to say about this type of machine, BUT....were you all really sore after using it the first few times???

I hadn't been a heavy exercise person, actually, I do it in spurts - I'll get into a good routine and keep it for about two weeks, then quit for two weeks, and repeat, lol. But I do walk a lot. So I got on my treadmill for 15-20 min as a warmup and then the elliptical for 20 min at level 1. The first day was fine but by Day 2 I couldn't walk. Day 3 my whole body was sore!

Now at the same time, I came down with the flu so I think part of my body ache is from that but its hard to tell. However, the front of my thighs and the back are the worst so that HAS to be from the workout.

Did I do something wrong or do I just need to get used to it?

Oh, I got the New Balance 9.0 because I wanted a really sturdy one cuz I know my DH will climb on it. I got a payment plan, $150 down and then $200 for 4 months, so it doesn't feel so painful, lol.

I really thought it would extend my legs further though with the 18" stride. It almost feels like I'm riding a bike standing up....
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 16:59

Plan: Atkins/Meat&Egg
Stats: 250/246/165 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I use the elliptical, and it will definately hurt the first week, but I found if I did it every other day,as opposed to every day, it gives me a better workout and I am more bound to stick with it.I also find that near the end of my workout, the bottoms of my feet start to hurt. I go 20mins using level 4 and than use my bike for the last 10 minutes. I get my pulse upto 140 usually, so I am sure its doing a great job. Also try to use some high energy music. I downloaded all my fav dance tracks, and it helps keep me going at a good pace.Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 10:44

Plan: prot/low carb-ketosis
Stats: 12/08/04 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 50%

I bought my elliptical about 7 years ago from Sears. It was not the most expensive but I tell you I use it almost every day for those 7 years. I bought a treadmill but went back to my elliptical. The only thing wrong with it now is that the control panel needs a new battery. I still use it with a heart rate moniter that I wear and a watch. So go buy one and you will love it as much as I have. I would love to have a new one because they have such new things on it but I'm afraid because I think the more you have on the machine, the more things that could break down.