Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 21:47

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%
Default Why the Campaign to Stop America's Obesity Crisis Keeps Failing (Taubes)

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Best short and easy to understand distillation of his books so far. I hope this gets wider press at the same time as the HBO documentary.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 06:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Was really hoping Taubes would have received some time in the HBO documentary. I'll skip it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 06:23

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Love this quote:

"Ethical arguments against meat-eating are always valid; health arguments against it can no longer be defended."

Not that I am sure ethical arguments against meat eating are always valid. They are sometimes valid, and sometimes the way we get meat is unethical.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 06:29

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

It looks like that's the cover story on Newsweek. Tina Brown must be a low carber! The comments on the Daily Beast are fairly negative, however.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 09:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I think it's incumbent upon members of this forum to rebut the negative comments with facts. For example:
Quote:
I believe you are leaving out the evidence of heart disease caused by diet. 1. I grew up during this era - no way did people eat more meat/person when I was a kid or in college than they do now. There weren't all these chains with supersized burgers and steak houses. etc. 2. Animal products may give you a good weight loss program but you cardiovascular system will suffer terribly.

We all "know" that #2 is false, but can we cite any studies that attempted to show this link but failed or were tainted by confounding factors?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 09:36
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I was reading wiki over the weekend and saw in more than one place that saturated fat caused reduction in brain function and things like that. It was such a puzzler I felt my brain function reducing just by reading wiki. Defending such things could be several full time jobs.

PJ
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 09:41

Then just rebut a single fallacious comment that no one else has addressed. How are we going to gain acceptance if we don't counter the myths ourselves? Clearly, people aren't trusting the low-carb experts. They need to hear from those of us who have experienced success with LC, and not just our stories, but good, research-based arguments.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 10:11

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I think it's incumbent upon members of this forum to rebut the negative comments with facts. For example:

We all "know" that #2 is false, but can we cite any studies that attempted to show this link but failed or were tainted by confounding factors?

Yes, the Stefansson all-meat trial. Granted, it's only two subjects. But then the hypothesis says everybody would suffer from eating lots of meat. "Everybody" includes those two men. Then there's the list of low carb studies on Andreas Eenfeldt's website, DietDoctor:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-lo...ing-the-science

Low carb diets admittedly contain more meat than low fat diets. Low carb diets are better for all things measured, therefore the hypothesis that eating lots of meat is bad for us is refuted.

I think Taubes was being sarcastic here. As in, he was saying that's what we all believe. He does that a lot.

-edit- Scratch that last bit. I read "Taubes wrote this". It's just a comment to the article, not in the article itself.

Last edited by M Levac : Mon, May-07-12 at 10:36.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 10:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Then just rebut a single fallacious comment that no one else has addressed. How are we going to gain acceptance if we don't counter the myths ourselves? Clearly, people aren't trusting the low-carb experts. They need to hear from those of us who have experienced success with LC, and not just our stories, but good, research-based arguments.

I think I already did that on Parker-Pope's "The Fat Trap" comments.
If people aren't trusting the low-carb experts, my comments on a blog are not going to change their mind. Whereas I have a few converts at the Y and among my friends...some just have to see the results long-term to "get it".
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 14:52

The point of responding to ignorant or misguided comments is not convince the original posters, but to persuade others reading the comment thread that the OPs don't "get it."

I'm glad that Martin's doing a yeoman's job of rebutting the most ignorant of the comments.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 14:58

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I can't help it. I'm like the guy in the cartoon that says "I can't. This is important. Someone is wrong on the internet." I've been trying to be more polite and instead of telling people outright "you're wrong", I try to find something I agree with, say so, but then say "maybe it's something else too" and offer an alternative. It seems to work. For my part, it's not so much to point out the OP is wrong, but that there is an alternative way of looking at it.

And thanks for the compliment! I'm the Yeoman!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 18:48

Obligatory.

#14   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 07:13
Registered Member

Stats: 285/164/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Bravo Martin for all your comments on this article!!!!