Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 07:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Exclamation Sticks Sticks Those D*** Sticks!!!

Last night I went to bed checked the stick Neg reading. Middle of the night Cheched the stick Purple. Got up this morning checked the stick really light Pink. When I look at myself my body is getting slimmer everyday. According to the sticks and scale not really making progress. I know the stick can be anyshade and you are burning. I just hate praying every time I pee on that sucker. Im using them alot cause Im trying to see what puts me in and out and always the bottle b4 this one was DARK Purple and I really needed to drink more water. I hope that in the morning I get up and drop like 4 lbs all at once I need some incouragement from that scale.

<3 Kristal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 07:35

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Although I have never personally used them, I wouldn't rely too heavily on them. I know MANY people who continue to lose weight at a steady pace and have never even registered color on those sticks (which is why I don't use them!). If you feel yourself getting slimmer, use that as motivation. The amount of water you drink can greatly affect the results you get with the sticks. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 07:48

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

It was always my understanding that you only need to use the sticks once a day in first morning urine. I used them at first, but haven't used them lately. To save $$ if you are going to use them use a tiny scissors and cut each strip in 1/2. HTH
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 08:25

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I've never used the sticks, so maybe I should not post anything here... but just use your $$$ to buy fresh green veggies instead.

Remember you may be dropping inches, but not el bees. And even though the scale may not be moving, you posted "When I look at myself my body is getting slimmer everyday."

Remember you're more than a # on a scale, and more than a color on a stick. Its really all about being healthier.

Have fun on this journey, and stop stressing about the sticks.
Good luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 08:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You don't want purple sticks. That basically means you're not drinking enough water to effectively flush those ketones. Ketones are a little hard on the kidneys; that's why people with kidney damage are told to avoid ketosis. You have nothing to worry about! I'd put the scale away for a while and ditch the sticks if it's causing you to be that frustrated.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Pitch the sticks, they are pretty much worthless and just cause extra stress.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: trying atkins, done Berns
Stats: 200/200/155 Female 73
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ok, i know this question is redundant, and i apologize, but since i drink 4-5L a day, i guess thats why, im not showing any colour change as well?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279/260/200 Female 5foot 6inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

The first time I was doing atkins I never showed any color on the sticks and lost over 50 pounds.They just seem to me like a way to set you up for failure.Another way to be discouraged,and heaven knows I don't need any help in that area.This time around there are no sticks and fixing to be no scale.It's to hard on my mental health as well.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 10:31

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Since I started drinking the required amount of water, my sticks turn barely pink. If I don't get the water down the sticks get darker purple. It's frustrating because I wasn't sure I was in Ketsosis since I don't have "that" breath. I am losing weight so as soon as the bottle is used up, it's gone!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 15:18

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Oh thank goodness - I thought I might be the only one completely ignoring the whole, pee-on-the-stick thing. Never saw the benefit personally, but certainly not knocking those who do.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 19:58

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I have NEVER turned a stick even baby pink, even during induction, which I also attribute to my high H2O intake. I can tell when I'm in ketosis by the funny taste in my mouth.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 14:17
Registered Member

Stats: 240/210/190 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have been hitting dark purple everytime I check!

Unless ofcourse I drink alot of low carb beer!

I also try to drink lots of water, but sometimes that doesn't happen (I do drink 2L's per day though)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Postpartum and Lowcarb!
Stats: 222/000/120 Female 5 foot 4
BF:
Progress: 218%

Stinky urine and breath are classic tell tale signs of ketosis, along with a DECREASE in hunger.

If those aren't happening then you probably are not in it.

Ditch the sticks... not always accurate and a waste of money. Plus they can cause alot of stress!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 08:47

Stats: 160/147/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

The stix only show purple when there is an overflow of ketones from you blood. Being in ketosis means that your body will not turn excess ketones into fat and simply excretes extra ketones in your breath and urine. Just becasue you don't show positive on the stix doesn't mean your not in ketosis. It may mean that your body is using all the ketones it is making and there is no excess. If you work out a lot then your body may be using all the ketones being produced.

On the other hand...it is better to test in the morning..because at test strip will also turn purple when your body is buring up a fatty meal. The strips have now way to differentiate between fat you've eaten..and ketones your liver has produced from your body fat.

I hope this helps and wasn't confusing. I've done sooo much research on ketosis.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 09:08
Registered Member

Stats: 160/155/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I am always in Kentois.. although my weight loss is very slow started meat and egg diet been on it for 8 days... still ketosis although very slow moving. So as long as your losing doesnt really matter whether your in ketosis or not. Good luck! Kim