Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 07:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Hello

I want to say hello to everyone. I have been on the Atkins diet for 1 year now and have lost 70 lbs so far. However, for the past 6 months I have not lost any weight and I feel a bit depressed. I started at 310 lbs and I am 235 at this time. My goal weight is 155. I have a lot of health issues including diabetes, high blood pressure, goiter, arthritis, etc. I excercise very little because I don't have energy and I guess I am depressed.

I hope that maybe someone has a suggestion as to what to do to continue losing weight. I have read over and over again the suggestions at the Atkins website. I can not eliminate the medications (which I was taking anyway when I lost all the weight). I try to keep within the 20 gr of carbs (induction) most of the time because I feel so much better when I do. I don't have cravings and can do this diet very well.

Any way, hello, nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

SadLady
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 07:21
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

#3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 10:43
Waving Not Drowning

Plan: Atkins/protein power
Stats: 195/165/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 86%

Welcome...but don't be SAD.
Your weight loss so far is AMAZING. You've come so far...you must notice some health benefits, too.
Have you tried eliminating things to help you with your stall?
I eat very little cheese, cream, no LC chocolate or alcohol.
Can you do any exercise at all...some very light free weights and a little walking.
I find exercise boosts my metabolism and gives me energy to continue this WOE.
Maybe your boby is just taking a break right now...keep doing what you're doing "cause you've done so well already.
Good luck!
Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 11:00
Registered Member

Stats: 265/215/190 Female 5'8"
BF:t/o/omuch
Progress: 67%

Hi Sadlady, Congratulations on your 70 lbs lost!!. And I applaud you for hanging in there for 6 months while not losing. . .that shows me a strong level of committment.
I would like to know what you are eating in an average day. I think that may help us figure out where you could make changes to enhance your weightloss. It may be you are eating too few calories, and your body has decided to hang onto its excess pounds. Or you may need to go back on induction to "shake things up" again.Also, have you heard of the "fat fast"? It may help. (I think the medications are a moot point since you have showed a substancial loss already. . .) Are you able to walk for 10 minutes at a time? I have read studies that show even 10 minutes of walking are beneficial in weight loss. Start with 5 minutes if you have to, and work your way up from there. Also, there is an insulin resistence diet I have seen here on the forum. Since you are diabetic, it may help you to look into that. Please don't give up! You are a wonderful inspiration, and give me hope that I can lose my weight in a years time. Thank you, Carlene
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 13:37
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Welcome and good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:21
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%

DON'T GIVE UP!! You have done so well, better than me I have been off and on and now i am on for good! At least you have not given up and that deserves a pat on the back. I understand no energy and some of your medical problems the meds will not have nothing to do with stalled weight. I have high blood pressure and am on thyroid meds and I still lose. The weather is going to be very nice this time of year no matter where you are even if you just walk out in your yard and take it a bit farther every couple of days that will help. And it won't tire you out. You can also ask your doctor to give you a light water pill that helps two ways, it helps brings down blood pressure and if you are retaining fluid it helps and it might just be what you need to boost your weight loss. Good luck! And if you ever need anyone to chat with I am always on here at least once a day.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 22:02

BF:

Thank you very much for all your answers. I have no intentions of giving up because I don't want to be 310 lbs again in my life. It just that my son graduates in August, and I wanted to be around 200 lbs by then and I don't think I am going to make it. Any way, so far, I have lost 70 lbs, which is something I never thought I could do again in my life. I will turn 60 next January.

My daily food habits are like this:

Breakfast: Cream with coffee (more cream than coffee and this could be a problem)

Lunch: Atkins dinner bread with cheese (like a sandwich) and a salad with olive oil and vinegar.

Dinner: About the same, sometimes steak with salad.

About 6 cups of tea a day.

That's just about what I eat daily. I have done the fat fast and did not lose a single pound.

Thanks for your help.

SadLady
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 22:47
Registered Member

Stats: 265/215/190 Female 5'8"
BF:t/o/omuch
Progress: 67%

Sadlady, It looks to me like you are not eating enough. It may take a change, kind of a shock to get your body back to losing. I would recommend that you go to Fitday.com and input your daily foods for a few days. I am guessing you are at or below 1000 calories, and your body has decided to go into starvation mode. I will be able to tell more from your Fitday info. Thanks, Carlene.
P.S. I believe you can lose 35 pounds before August. . .we'll all put our heads together for you!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:15

BF:

Thanks, I am willing to try anything. I am going to fitday.com and input what I eat. Let's see what it says. Thanks again.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:32
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:

WOW - CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!

You've done so well so far!! You've definately come to the right place, it's fun here, very safe and comfortable - with people who really UNDERSTAND! Make sure you come here often, look at the gallery a lot - the people on there are just SO inspiring - and in no time you'll be back into the swing of it - losing again!
Good luck and keep smiling!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:03
I'm Back!

Talking

I agree with "I mean it". It is a good chance you have gone into starvation mode, been there done that and it is not fun. It is easy to get out of if done right. Like they said it is a shock to get the system going again. And I have also been high on the scale my heaviest was 314 my last weigh in on the 11th when I started joined after starting Atkins again (for the last time because I WILL succeed this time) was 271. I have found alot of encouragement and friends here and EVERYONE understands 100%. You keep your chin up and your smile shining!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 13:05

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
Please read this about BMR. You need to eat a lot more.
Any questions let me know.
Jag
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:36

BF:

Well, I have started a meat only diet, bacon for breakfast and pork chops for lunch and maybe chicken or steak for dinner with coffee and cream (can't leave the coffee out) and let's see if I can lose some weight again. I will do it today and maybe tomorrow. A third day if I can. Let you all know if I have any results.

Thanks for being there.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:43
I'm Back!

Just be carefull Sadlady, you still do need fiber and the nutrients in the veggies, they are not your enemy as I am sure jagbender will agree. Did you give any more consideration to "i mean its" suggestion of trying the "fat fast"? With just meat I would think you would get bored and faded feeling and set yourself up for falling off program. If you do decide to keep with the meat only, I still support you and wish you luck, just make sure you weigh the options.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 07:49

BF:

About 4 months ago I did the "fat fast" just like the Atkins book says and did not lose a single pound. I have read about the "meat fast" and I thought I would give it a try. Just 2 or 3 days to see if I can start losing again. I will not do this for a long period of time, believe me. I will let you all know if I can do it. Tomorrow I have Laser surgery for my diabetes retinopathy, so I think I will not be to hungry and it will help with the fast.