Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 08:15

Plan: LCHF ketogenic
Stats: 289/128/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Please explain Alternate Daily Fasting

Could someone please explain to me just what Alternate Daily Fasting is? I've heard Dr. Fung refer to it and also seen it mentioned in some posts, and it sounds like something I'd like to try, but I don't understand how it works. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could explain it to me. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 08:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Eat one day, Don't eat next day.

Check the first post here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

In my opinion the term alternate day fasting is a bit confusing. Ultimately it is that every other day you consume 500 calories or less and on the otherdays there are no calorie restrictions. Though if you read most of the info on the subject they encourage high fat, adequate protien and green leafy veggies as your main food groups. Added to the restricted days it is a very LC plan.

The fasting periods have a huge effect on insulin in a positive way.

In the same way intermittent fasting or going a long span every day without food and only eating during a shortened window has similar effects. I use an 18/6 program. I consume my food from 1400 (2pm) until 2000 (8pm). THus from 2000 until 1400 my body must use its stores for all energy. The similar would be true for alt day fasting
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 04:01

BF:
Default Thank you Tim

Thank you Tim, I appreciate the info. I've only been doing the 12 hr. thing, from dinner at 6:00 to breakfast at 6:00 but I really want to expand that. I think that I could definitely do the ADF as well as what you do. Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 04:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Karen, you had asked about Dr Fung, the ADF Tim mentioned is Dr Varady and Mosely who allow 500 calories on the fast days. Dr Fung does not allow that many calories. And because milk/cream stimulates insulin that is limited to 1-2 TEAspoons if you must. The 36 hour fast and list of what is allowed is at the web archive. https://web.archive.org/web/2015012...-Guidelines.pdf.
All the different fasting plans can work, and Dr Varady has good studies on her protocol, but I personally think having 500 cal on the fast day is harder...eat and then want more food. Find what works for you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-17-16 at 04:50.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 06:10

BF:
Default Thank you-good link

Thanks for that link Janet, it was good to see the schedule broken down like that-made it really clear. And the bone broth recipe is good to have. I saved the doc. to my computer.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen125
Thank you Tim, I appreciate the info. I've only been doing the 12 hr. thing, from dinner at 6:00 to breakfast at 6:00 but I really want to expand that. I think that I could definitely do the ADF as well as what you do. Thanks again.

for clairity I am an IF orr intermittent fast person. I fast 16 to 18 hours a day.
It is funny as years ago there were no names or studies for it. But now there are. When I reach Ketosis My appetite goes away. So I actually have to remind myself to eat with logs or stick notes. For me It just comes with the lc life it not something I have to work at.