Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 18:15

Plan: Classic
Stats: 158/146/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress:
Default Am I out of ketosis when I have my menstrual cycle?

Hi all, this is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyways because it is driving me nuts. I've noticed that keto sticks are no longer picking up any ketones through my urine, so I purchased a nova max meter. I know that when it's that TOM the urine strips are basically useless, and will give either a negative or trace reading. I am currently on my TOM, and didn't think about this when I did my first blood ketone test. I did it first thing this morning in a fasted state with a reading of .3 mmol. I was shocked that it was so low and did some research, which turns out ketones are lower in the mornings. I did a blood ketone test again in the evening after a significant amount of fat intake later expecting to see at least 1 mmol, but instead saw a .2! So my question is, am I even able to get to ketosis while I am on my TOM, or are hormones just throwing off my readings? I'm sticking with it, but I am just curious as to what exactly happens to my body during this time. Anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 22:57

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey Klt123, it is your hormones. Whenever I test my urine ketones, a day or so before I start up until a day or so after my test strips are always negative, not even a trace of ketones. I stopped wasting the time and money, and stopped testing during this time frame. When I am completely done with my TOM, my tests are back to finding ketones.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 06:39

Plan: Classic
Stats: 158/146/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Jakz1269! I really wish I had remembered my TOM when I did my blood readings. It had just received it, and the excitement took over! I can't wait to do my test once my hormones are back to normal.