Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Miracle Diet - Weight Loss and Clear Skin
Posted by annegirl80
Posted Mon, May-07-07
Female 68 inches
Plan: Aktins
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Miracle Diet - Weight Loss and Clear Skin

All my life, I have struggled with my weight. All through high school, I pretty much starved myself only to stay a size 12 and about 165 lbs. If I ate pizza the night before, I was pretty sure I could wake up the next day and have gained at least 2lbs. How could this be? How come some people could eat anything they want and never gain an ounce? My first few years in college, I gave up dieting and ate everything I wanted and NOT in moderation. I lived on pizza, beer, ice cream, bagels and cream cheese, and nachos. It was heaven, but by the time I was 21, I weighed almost 200lbs. When I saw myself in pictures, I didn’t even recognize myself. When I moved back home from Kent, I lost about 30lbs since I wasn’t eating as much junk food and limited myself to one meal a day, but the scale was still depressing as it was almost impossible for me to get below 170lbs. I have heard all the diet advice: cut your calories, eat 6 small meals a day, drink lots of water, exercise at least 3 days a week, eliminate fats and sugars. When I moved in with my roommate, Kim, I started exercising at least 6 days a week and only eating about 1100 calories a day. But, I was tired all the time, hungry, and still weighed 165 and could not get below a size 10.

The other physical problem that I have suffered from since puberty is acne. While most kids outgrow this annoying skin disorder, at age 26, I was still BREAKing out. Its frustrating because I really hate wearing make-up and it used to take me over an hour to get ready because I had to cake it on to hide the BREAK-outs. I was always embarrassed to go swimming and had to limit my wardrobe because I couldn’t wear anything with a low back and sometimes not even a v-neck! My aunt had always told me I would outgrow it because it runs in our family but I wanted it gone – NOW. I tried benzoyl peroxide treatments that dried out my skin to a flaky mess and bleached my clothes. I tried tanning which made me crispy looking and still broke out. I tried antibiotics that only made me BREAKout worse. Finally I just gave up.

Ty had told me that he had gone on Atkins diet before and had lost a ton of weight. I was thinking about the wedding and really wanted to be as slim as I could be. Around the holidays, I had weighed in at 169lbs and was wearing a size 10 to 12 (depending on how bloated I was). I had gone on Atkins briefly, but I got really sick from some bad food and gave up. Then last month, with only two months till the wedding, I was determined to really try it again, this time adding more veggies to the plan. After only three weeks, I have lost 15lbs and am wearing a size 8.Also, this diet has almost completely cleared up my acne! I no longer have to wear tons of make-up. I can wear low backs on my clothes and even go strapless.

Of course, this means that I do not eat bread, pasta, sugar, rice, or potatoes. (All the things I love!) But, I have been eating a ton more vegetables and healthy meats. My hair has grown longer, my fingernails don’t BREAK, and I am not hungry! Even if I do get hungry, I can eat. I don’t have to deprive myself of food because I am watching my calories. Its been hard because I have carb cravings, like I could eat a whole pizza, but I satisfy myself with carrots and spinach dip or cheese. I am not even allergic to eggs anymore and sometimes crave scrambled with cheese and a sausage patty. (Yes, I actually like sausage now).

The best part: I don’t exercise! For those of you who absolutely abhor exercise, this is the diet for you. My friend Lori would say that is horrible and I need to do it, which I, of course, do not dispute. I do walk and play outside with Jenny, but I am not spending hours and hours of weight training and cardio and getting frustrated because I am not losing weight or inches. It was more than frustrating and I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. Its absolutely miraculous to eat lots of good food, not exercise, and watch the lbs melt off.

Now, many people wonder if it is possible to stay on this diet. I have my doubts because there are bad carbs in everything! How could I possibly never eat anoter french fry or piece of pizza? Well, I have a choice, don't I? I know how my body reacts to foods with a high glycemic content. I puff up like a balloon and BREAK out. I think the rewards of eating better and looking great are much higher than the short gratification of eating junk. I will allow myself to eat something I like once in a great while, but for the most part, this diet is here to stay!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by saratea on Mon, May-07-07, 19:36

awesome job...any before or after pics?

14 comments [read all comments]

Article tools