Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-11-17, 02:58

Plan: None of yet
Stats: 330/242/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Needing to make some changes, help

Hello Low-carber forum,

I am 25 years of age 6ft tall and weighing in at 157kg. To be honest, all my life I have been on the larger side of life if you know what I'm saying but all the major weight I am holding now came on when I moved out of the Family home. I ended up getting an accountant office job that consisted of me sitting down all day and then sitting down at home, you see where this is going. So, it's time to make some changes to my life in general.

Training:
I have been doing some research online watching Youtube videos of this guy "Elliot Hulse" he seems to know his stuff and is very straight headed which I like. My only problem is where to start to lose the weight haha, Should I go for strength training and lift heavy weight? or should I go body building and life light weights? Once I have this sorted I can start on a gym plan.

Food:
Now, this is my biggest downfall, I love a good munch. To be honest, I won't be able to just up and change my whole diet in a night and even if I did I can guarantee a few weeks later I wouldn't be doing it anymore. I need something that I could take away from my diet bit by bit or maybe exchange a couple of meals to get started off and then in time this should get better. What do you guys think would be the best first step to adjusting my diet?

if there is any other information that you guys need please comment below and I will get back to you ASAP. Really looking forward to speaking with you guys.

My goal weight is 95kgs so that's a huge 62kg loss I am looking to achieve.

Thanks
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...z_SQNtsvTkSDVXQ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-17, 21:23

Plan: None of yet
Stats: 330/242/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Also has anyone ever tested Whey diet powder like this here http://www.for-sale.co.uk/whey-protein-diet does it work? does it have any benefits or is it all just a load of sh** lolol
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-17, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.4/184.4/145 Female 5 4 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, Ben LC
I'm fairly new on the forum but I know what to not to eat to loose weight. Why don't you enter what you ate today and I will try to help. The protein powder will give you energy. What does your doctor say about protein. Any medical problems like kidney disease were too much protein could be a problem.
Loretta
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 02:54

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Morning Benlc, and welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place...so first off, you can not expect to change everything over night...I like to say, you didn't get fat overnight, you wont get thin that way either. It takes time. I suggest that you find a plan that works for you, I see you have not chosen one yet...you will find lots of help here on this forum, just take a look around, read some of the stuff about the various plans and decide on which one will fit for you. Then, and this is the important part, take it one day at a time. Aim for small victories, and be positive in your outlook.
All the best to you, good luck on this journey. ttyl
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 04:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Ben

You have found a large forum that supports various LC plans, so as other mentioned, read up in the various sub-forums to help you decide what plan will fit your goals and lifestyle. Newbie Advice to the right for to start >>>. And maybe the Triple Digit Club for specific advice when weight loss is a longer journey. This website https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb is great for explaining how a low carb diet works and offers three levels of carb restriction. Like many of us here, it avoids the use of processed foods or diet powders. Just Eat Real Food...wouldn't you rather have a rasher of bacon than a chemical powder?

It might also help you decide on a plan if read success stories from other young men, Grav is a recent success with a well-written story here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476150
and all these men under 40 on DietDoctor. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/success-stories. Ken https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved. and Thud http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470285. have great advice.

My suggestions for best first step...Clean out the house of all tempting junk and high carb food. Remove the obvious...biscuits, crisps, candy, beer, anything processed with sugar. Then you could work on the less obvious but still high carb bread, oatmeal, root vegetables, etc. (this slowly easing into it would not have worked for me, but you asked)
You don't need to exercise until your body has the extra energy that comes from being a fat-burner and you want to exercise. Like Ken, just start walking when you come home from work, and your body will let you know when you have the energy to lift weights and other good health habits.
All the best,
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 05:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You are right, food is probably your biggest downfall. It's likely that what you eat creates a condition that informs your brain that you need to eat more of the items that cause the condition. This creates a "loop" in computer programing terms. Programers call this "a bad thing". Perhaps in accounting it could like trying to divided 1 by 3 - the solution stretches to infinity, so, pragmatically, there is no solution other than use different numbers in the equation.

These numbers are food.

My suggestion to you:

a) Put exercise on hold for 6 months - If anything just walk a little if your body is able

b) Read this book, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Get_Fat and choose the way of eating described in the last few pages (Dr. Westman clinic type diet I think)

c) re-evaluate your situation after 6 months, make adjustments or report your findings here and get more feedback.

You will do well.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 14:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

FWIW:

You are a 25-year old male....lift weights for strength. Yes, start slow, get some advice from trainer...but lift.

Benefits are:
- Muscles burn energy...more muscles, more daily burn
- Exercising burns calories
- As the weight comes off, wouldn't it be nice if it revealed the muscles you had built throughout your journey?
- Weight training (busting ass in the gym) is very satisfying (at least I find it so). Use that release of strenuous lifting to balance your efforts on the food front.

Again, not a scientific opinion...just one guy to another:-)