Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Living LC 4 Life
I Did It - And So Can You!
Posted by leslieam
Posted Sat, Dec-10-05
Female 5 feet 9 inches
Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%
Default I Did It - And So Can You!

I never imagined myself writing a Success Story on this site! It seems like only yesterday that I Googled “Low Carb Diet” and stumbled upon this site. Actually, it was May 29, 2005 – less than 7 months ago.

First, let me tell you my story. Like most people reading this story, I had a weight problem. My problems started in junior high school, after I had started my TOM. I can remember it vividly – in one year I went from a junior’s size 0 jeans to a junior’s size 7 jeans (US sized). IN ONE YEAR! And it went up from there. Looking back, I know my parents were worried about me. My mother and father had always struggled with their weight – my dad continues to win the battle while my mother continues to fight the battle. My mother and father didn’t want me to have to worry about my weight for the rest of my life, but as I went through high school it became apparent that I’d have to, or live the rest of my life overweight.

After graduating high school, I started college and working at the shopping mall part time. At the shopping mall I had access to all kinds of fast food, and further I spiraled into an eating pattern destined to lead me to become more and more overweight.

I was around 20 years old, still in college and working at the mall. I had purchased a lovely dress with a jacket that was to be worn over the dress. I can remember purchasing that dress – a size 18. But I felt GOOD in it. I was checking out a woman that looked to be in her lower 30’s. I will NEVER forget what happened:

Customer: “That is such a cute dress!”
Me: “Thank you!”
Customer: “When are you due?”
Me: “Pardon?”
Customer: “Your baby – when it is due?”

Speechless, I squeaked out the words “I am not pregnant”. The look on her face was pure anguish and she quickly (I do mean quickly) walked away. That was THE day that something was going to change.

Before my 21st birthday I had lost about 30 lbs on a low fat/starvation diet. I took every herbal diet pill known to man.

Less than a year after my 21st birthday, I met my now-husband. I had lost down to 160 lbs by this point and was feeling very good about myself. When he and I started dating, we ate out a lot and all of the sudden here came those pounds. So I started the starvation again – the low fat diet.

The next year, he asked me to marry him. What an exciting time. But now, I felt I had to lose weight to get into my wedding dress. So I starved myself more, eating saltine crackers and drinking water for days at a time. I took herbal diet pills, I took laxatives. And I starved myself down to 122 lbs. Before our wedding, I had actually gained about 10 pounds back because the 122 lbs was just too low for me.

So our wedding day comes and goes, and I continue to manage my weight at around 135-140 for two years.

Then, my first miracle. Pregnancy. I had a wonderful pregnancy. I had never felt better. And I ate. And ate. And ate. And before I knew it, I had gained 48 lbs. My first born came into our lives, and I started down the path of low-fat/starvation. But not to the degree that I previously had. By the time my first born was two, I had gained a LOT of weight back. Looking back at pictures of his second birthday, I don’t remember how I got so big. I’d say I was at least 185-190. Desperate, I didn’t know what to do. So I joined Weight Watchers (low fat/points program). On WW, I lost from 187 to 143. I looked great. But I was starving. So after I stopped going to WW, I slowly gained back up to 160.

So fast forward to when my first born is 4 years old. Again, desperate to get the weight under control, I found a ‘quack doctor’ that prescribed me phentermine. And I lost from 160-140 in a matter of 1 1/2 months. But the pills got too expensive, so I quit. And I slowly gained back up to 160.

Then, my second miracle. Pregnancy number two. I had another wonderful pregnancy. And I ate. And ate. And ate. And before I knew it, I was weighing over 220 lbs before delivery. After my second son was born, I found myself weighing 190 lbs and feeling completely out of control.

Just when I thought there was no hope, one weekend a new door was opened for me. My mother and father came to visit. They got out of their car and when I looked at my mother, she had obviously lost a LOT of weight. Alarmed (she is an ovarian cancer survivor) I immediately start asking questions – “What is wrong?” “Are you sick?” Dad, what is wrong with her?” “Tell me the truth, mom!” And with a smile on her face she said “I’ve been doing Atkins and I’ve lost 35 lbs.” “Mom,” I said, “That is not good for you. You can’t eat eggs and bacon and live like that the rest of your life”. And my mother responded “It’s not like that – you need to read the book”. So she arranged to bring me the book the next time I would see them (it was going to be that next weekend). So I get the book and I read it from cover to cover. And I started Induction on 5/25/05.

Looking for more information, I Googled ‘Low Carb Diet’ and found this site. And I am SO thankful that I did.

So now look at me – almost 7 months later and I’ve lost down below my goal weight. I feel better than I have felt in years. And I’m not starving.

So what tips would I give somebody new starting this WOL?

- This is not a diet. If you are planning to eat this way and get to your goal weight, only to return to your old eating habits, you will gain your weight back.
- If you are doing an organized low-carb plan (i.e. Atkins, South Beach) do yourself a favor and read the book. Many people on this site will reference the book and it will help you in the long-run to either buy the book or borrow it from your local library.
- If you are doing Atkins, you need to do a clean induction. That means no cheats, no caffeine, etc. You may feel worse than you’ve ever felt for a week or so. But hang in there because the best is yet to come.
- Don’t cheat. I can count on one hand the number of ‘planned cheats’ I’ve had since starting this WOE. And it’s allowed me to have consistent weight loss.
- Start a journal on this site. My journal has been my saving grace. That is the honest truth. There is something about the accountability of having to post what I’ve eaten in my journal for all to see.
- Visit this site often. I have met so many wonderful people here that I feel truly blessed. You will have a support system here like you won’t believe. But you have to build that support system in order to have it. So come often and post questions, feedback, etc.
- Experiment with your cooking. This site has so many wonderful recipes. You’ll be surprised on what you can find here to replace old favorites. One of my favorite things is the Mock Danish. YUMMY!
- This is not a no-carb way of eating - It’s a low-carb. So don’t think that you can never have a vegetable or never have fruit. You can!
- If you dedicate yourself to this WOL, you will have people tell you how bad this WOE is for you. And some of these people may be your close family and/or friends. Just prepare yourself for it. Arm yourself with information from this site so you can clearly address their concerns. This WOL goes against the mainstream, so just be prepared.

There are so many other things I could add, but I don’t want to take up 10 pages in my success story.

I can’t say enough how much this website has helped me in obtaining my goals. And I want to thank my friends here for inspiring me every single day to stay on plan. Words can never express how thankful I am for all of you.

Wishing all who read this the best on their weight loss journeys.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
After

by WyoDiva on Sat, Dec-10-05, 22:59

Thank you for posting your story, Leslie - you've given me renewed motivation in my own journey. I hope to be posting something similar someday...

71 comments [read all comments]

Article tools