Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 19:29

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Feeling Good. And why.

Right now, I'm at six weeks with No Gluten.

I was certainly Low Gluten, before. I had the occasional low carb wrap; maybe a bite of my husband's dessert; rarely, one of the croissants from the Best Bakery In Town. But very little, really.

And I never had a clue that gluten might be bad for me. I avoided grains because of the carbs; not because of any bad reactions I had.

But then I wore my snug jeans to work one day. Had my coffee with HWC; fine. Then, lunch... on a low carb wrap.

And my stomach got so bloated I had to unbutton my pants and lower the zipper! I wound up fastening the pants with a rubber band through the buttonhole so they would stay on! Thank goodness I wore a long sweater that day!

So, since then, I've been Gluten Free.

My thumbs have stopped shooting me arthritic pains. I lost a pound, maybe.

And I feel so good.

So if you have mood issues... it might be worth a try.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 06:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a hard time resisting preaching this like an evangelist. I've always struggled with depression. Like you, when I started LCing, I didn't pay attention to gluten... although by definition, it was greatly reduced. A year or two ago, I started to take it more seriously after I started getting the mystery-arthritis symptoms. About three times last year, I had major "episodes" of depression, crying, rage at the DH, and paranoid suspicion of and anger at my friends. I knew it was irrational even as it was going on, so thank gawd I kept it to myself and just vented in a private journal. After the fact, I realized I ate gluten. People might think this is psychosomatic, but I disagree. One time, it happened from eating burgers where I missed wheat flour as one of the ingredients when I read the package. (I had thrown the box out, and checked the next time I was at the grocery store.) I loved the burgers and ate all 8 of them in about 5 days.

I was on a celiac forum and found a shocking thread in which one of the members' therapists was soliciting personal stories of celiac disease/gluten intolerance and mood/psychiatric disorders. Shockingly, a lot of people were diagnosed with these disorders - bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia - long before being diagnosed with celiac disease, and their symptoms improved or disappeared once they went gluten-free.

It is absolutely worth a shot. I was a big proponent of that gluten-free January thing because once people go gluten-free, they often have health problems go away that they never knew they had in the first place. I agree with the recent blog post (I forget which guy, but there's a link in the Media forum) who believes that celiac disease is only the tip of the iceberg; the people who are the most gluten sick.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 13:44

Plan: carnivore w/ IF
Stats: 214/000/127 Female 5 feet
BF:plenty
Progress: 246%

I am so close to being gluten free and I think I need to take the plunge bc I have long suspected that I have issues with gluten. One in 20 type I diabetics (which I am) have celiacs and I have some issues that could be explained by malabsorption. I was tested for it once about 10 yrs ago, but I was eating low carb at the time and was probably getting very little gluten. The test turned out negative, but I don't trust it. Sigh...

So right now the only food I've been eating that isn't gluten free is buffalo chicken strips, but I LOVE them! And it's about the only food I can get out easily that I feel good about. I think I should go for it. It's not like giving up my buffalo chicken will be life-altering.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 13:52

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm going to start watching what I'm eating too. I noticed I used one of those packaged seasoning things and a while after I ate it I felt like death warmed over. My arthrits was killing me. Sure enough on the label it said it had gluten