Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/175/130
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile Glucophage

Hi, I have been on Glucophage for about two years now. It is the only med I have not had any trouble with. I take 1000mg. in the morning with my breakfast, and 1000mg. at my evening meal. The only problem I had with it, and it seems to be pretty good now, is loose stools. I am also currently on insulin but am starting low carb eating to get off insulin. It put 15 pounds on me in two months, and makes me feel bloated and miserable. So I am looking forward to getting off. Anyone out there suceed in getting off insulin with low carb eating? Hope it works. Thanks. Elaine25
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 04:32

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I can't answer to the point of coming off insulin, but I was able to stop taking Glucotrol in addition to my Glucophage by low carbing. As to the loose stool problem, get your doc to prescribe 2000mg of Glucophage XR (extended release). You only take it once a day and it doesn't have *near* the effect on the bowels the non-extended release version has. Plus I like only taking my meds once a day--then forget it! I was on the non-XR version and now that I'm on the XR there is simply no comparision. If I gotta take meds, this is the way to do it. My BP med is once a day also.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/175/130
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile glucophage

Hi Kjturner,

Thank you so much for responding to me. I appreciate the information on Glucophage XR. I will definitely talk to my doctor about it. Also, thank you for the remarks on the fact you were able to get off some meds with the low carb eating. I am hoping to do just that. I am also looking into changing from the Fat Flush plan to the Adkins plan. Thanks again.

God bless,
Elaine25