Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 18:56

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs down OMG... Carb Hangover!

Ugh... Ever get puking drunk and wonder the next day what you were thinking? That's the way I feel !!!! We had a family get together on Sunday and I figured I'd just work my butt off the next week and be fine. A few extra carbs isn't that big of a deal, right?? OMG! Was I wrong! I've felt like I have an actual alcohol hangover for 2 days now. This evening I'm finally starting to feel a little more normal. It's pretty funny how these foods are supposed to be (healthy) and yet can make a body feel this way. And my WOE is unhealthy? At least I feel good every morning and don't spend my entire day laying on the couch feeling like I've got the flu. Anyhow who thinks the Atkin's diet is unhealthy needs to get off carbs for 2 weeks, then throw themselves back into their old way of eating and find out how great they feel. It's a huge eye opener!!! Too bad it took me two days of feeling like crud to figure out this WOE really is good for me....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 07:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I recently went on kind of a 3-day bender (end of the quarter at school...) and didn't get physically ill until night #3. I drank diet cokes & vodka (as usual) but this time, I let my guard down and ran around the party with a friend feeding people key lime pie...and eventually, I chowed down on it too.

I can't help but wonder if all those carbs are what kept me in a 24-hour-hangover!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:09

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Being a person of excess, I've had quite a few drinking benders and horrid hangovers. I thought nothing could compare to the day after a pint of JD and Jell-O shooters... well, I was wrong. I partook in an indulgence last Saturday and was so ill mere hours after the event that I am so thoroughly convinced that I am allergic to excess carbs that I will never indulge in illegals again. I was beyond ill - stomach pains so bad I was wishing to puke - you know the feeling? Bad stuff, good learning experience.

Feel better soon, dear!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:24

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My doctor told me to have a cheat meal 4 times a month (about once a week) but I feel so horrible after eating carbs that it just isn't worth it. I'm giving them up. I feel like an over-inflated baloon when I eat alot of carbs. If someone would just pop me, I'd feel better.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:26

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Ugh that carb overload is such a bad feeling. Before Atkins, I used to have an alka seltzer every morning before breakfast. I was always sick in my stomach. That is why I put the comment about allergy in my signature line. It helps to remind me that for whatever reason, I just don't handle carbs in my system very well.

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:30

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

My worst carb hangover came from eating Baskin Robbins Ice Cream-- of course, it had to be two scoops! I had the shakes for two days after that! Yech!

M
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:52

Plan: Atkins my way
Stats: 198/180/165 Female 62
BF:44/43/42/40/39/38
Progress: 55%

Just this past weekend I had a carb hangover. I decided to do a refeed because I am re-inducting. I had pasta and some short bread girlscout cookies. OMG I felt like a blimp. I wanted to stick my finger down my throat. The funny thing is I know this feeling is horrible but I know that in a couple of months I will crave again and want some carb-laden stuff. Now I do know though it will be in moderation. I mean a small portion. I still feel residue from sunday!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 00:17

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%

LOL!!! I'm glad to know I'm not alone I'm definitely sticking to this WOE. This is the healthiest I've felt in ages, so I have no clue why I felt the need to go back to all that unhealthy stuff. I have "sweet treats" that are carb friendly, breads, pastas, anything at all really. Sooo, really there is no reason at all why I need to go back to carbs. And if I ever do go back my body will make sure I pay for days! At least someone is looking out for my best interest! Hopefully I won't fall off the wagon again, cuz I don't know any sugary treat that is worth that kinda personal torture!!!!!

~ Cori ~
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 05:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Maybe that's it!! We're all allergic to Carbs!!!! LOL
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 07:35

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

This happened to me too. I really was surprised. After about 8 months of being pure atkins I lost my motivation a bit when girl scout cookies came out. I ate some different kinds of girl scouts and then just went off in a binge direction of various things I hadn't had in 8 months. I literally was sick for 3 days. I mean I was SICK. I was nauseated, vomiting, diarrhea etc. Thought I was going to die. I thought I had a virus to be honest with you. It did not occur to me it was what I ate. After a few days of this I actually did another day of eating all the bad stuff I shouldn't eat and the same thing happened. I was violently ill. I think being pure for 8 months did something to my body. To me it is a blessing. I am happy for it. Now I know I will get sick if I eat that stuff. It has helped me stay away from it now even more. Interestingly enough they call this the "dumping syndrome" in gastric bypass patients. One of the side effects of gastric bypass is that whenever you try to eat something very sweet and high carb you become very sick. I think it's interesting many of us who have done atkins a long time experience this same type of syndrome.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 07:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Ok I just reread my post and realized I wrote that I ate some different kind of girl scouts...HAHAHAHAHA....I meant to say girl scout cookies!! Forgive me it's 4 am here and I'm up with the baby...well no wonder I was so sick having eaten all those poor girl scouts.....lol...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 07:41

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

LOL....I hoped you'd catch that. I thought maybe you had another (worse) problem entirely! hehe