Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%
Default 18 mo stall ended w L-carnitine

Just wanted to report what worked for one person (me). I've been stalled for 18 months. I'm not on any meds. I take a multi+anti-oxidants so I figured I was covered. I tried all of the following for about 1 month each:
- increased exercise. No impact. (kept this one going, not just 1 mo.)
- cut out all artificial sweeteners and all processed foods including store mayo. No impact.
- cut out coffee and tea, drank only water. No impact.
- cut out all dairy. No impact.
- went back to induction: GAINED 2 lbs.
- lowered carbs below induction. Got down to 5/day for about 2 weeks, now holding steady at 10-15. No impact.
- fat fast (2 days). No impact.
- cyclic refeeds. No impact.
- Raised fat. No impact
- Lowered calories. No impact.
- Raised calories. No impact.
- cyclic high cal/low cal (all low carb). Slight loss, which came back.
- added coconut oil. No impact.
- thyroid tested: no problem.

Decided to read the damn book again, and lo and behold, practically the first thing Dr. A says is "add l-carnitine". Well Duh! So I started taking 500 mg with each meal, have lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I am officially declaring this stall over, and I'm going to hit my head against the wall some more. (Which is good exercise as well.)

Thanks for listening (reading) my long vent at myself!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 22:08

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Aww!! Congrats on breaking your stall!! Do you HAVE to take it 3 times a day? I bought some today, but I'm poor and I was hoping to only have to take one a day (to save money). DO you know if it'll work okay with just one a day?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 22:29

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Matty! first of all, can i commend you on sticking with this...18 month stall? talk about loyal and doing this right!! boy, i bet you are glad now that you stuck it out!! funny you should metion the lcarnitine. i have some old ones in the cupboard and thought i would pop one the other day....noticed a lot of energy that day?? but never made the connection and have not take on since. what i would like to know is what brand do you take? and is it the acety-l-carntine or just l-carnitine? when you have time and so happy for you!! also, i remember CoQ10 giving me a boost too. but don't have any left. i accidently threw a brand new bottle away...don't ask!! $30!! Grrrr!

well, good luck to you and hope it's all down hill from here for you.......... K
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Matty
This tread was just what I was looking for. After a 8 month stall and trying almost everything (just like you did) I went back to induction for more than a month. today I hit the scales for the first time after induction and ....I have gained almost 2 kg (I finally thought I lost some weight)
So tomorrow I am gonna buy some l carnitine. I hope it will work !
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 13:27
Registered Member

Good luck to all - I hope this thread does help, and I'll be glad to share whatever info I've got. I get all my vitamins from Target because it's the cheapest around here. I get the 500mg l-carnitine made by "heart healthy" at about $7/30 pills. I take 3/day, I tried more but it didn't seem to make a difference. Every now and then I drop down to 2/day because I forget, and that doesn't seem to matther much either, but my weight bounces a little anyway, I've never tracked it that closely to the pills.

I have read in several places that you have to cycle on and off, say 2 weeks/2 weeks or 1 month/1 month. That seems to tally with my weight loss: I lost 3.5 lbs the first week, put 1 back, lost it again the week after (was off the pills that week), and this week I've lost another 4.
L-acetyl-carnitine is not stronger, but it's a different uptake path, so some people that this one works but the regular version doesn't.

I only take co-Q10 when I'm feeling rich, because that's expensive and I've never found myself complaining about the problems it's supposed to help. And I hear you about throwing away a brand new bottle - somewhere, in some garbage dump off Long Island is my cell phone.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:50
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

$7/30 ?

I got some the other day after reading your success and they were $20/30 (I'm in the UK) - I know there's a crappy exchange rate just now, but still!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 19:53

BF:

Meant to add, if they work though, they'll be worth it
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 18:03
Registered Member

DoogieB - I'm with you. Once those things started working, I wouldn't have cared what they cost! How are they working for you?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 18:31
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have been stalled for a few weeks, started taking the L-carnitine last week, and am down a pound today. Have only been taking 1 a day, and will continue that for another week or two and see how I do. Will keep you posted.

I paid $20 for 30 at GNC, will check at Walmart and Target to compare prices.

Liz
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 06:22

BF:

I just ordered some more off the net at approx $45/120 so at least it's a bit cheaper for me in the UK

I *think* they're working..... saw a new number on the scale yesterday that was at least 1/2 pound less than I've seen before, but had a bounce back up a pound this morning, although am still slightly less than when I started taking them...... so I'll see for sure in a week or two, they certainly appear to be doing something!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 15:30

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi,

How long did it take till the L-carnitine started to work?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 06:45
Registered Member

Mine started working the very first day, but then leveled off after about ten days, so I stopped, and started again. Lost 3.5 lbs the 1st and 4th weeks, nothing the 2nd, 3rd.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:26
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have been taking it for many months and I really think it has helped with my weight loss. I had not read you should cycle on and off of it, though...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:31
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

Hi Gang,
Just was reading this post and went into vitamin site and ordered some and will give it a whirl. I order all the time from Puritan Pride. They have a buy one get 2 free special on until May. I believe it was $21.95 for 30 tablets and you get 2 bottles free. I have ordered from them for a long time. Their website is: www.puritanspride.com

I am willing to give it a try and see if it helps. I have been stalled for about 2 months now, which I know is not a long time, but I know I have more to lose. Have a good day everyone.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:55

BF:

Damn, the online place mis-shipped me acetyl l-carnitine rather than l-carnitine - hopefully I'll get the proper one tomorrow in the mail because I'm almost run out