Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 13:41

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%

im so glad that others think its pos that pcos has some kinda affect on sleep. but the past two months iv monitored the hours i sleep and it used to be anything from 10-12hours a day, then i started takin metformin and now its about 8-9 hours, but wen its that TOM i def sleep longer again i def think that theres something linked. anyone else able to montior them selves see if they are same?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 278.4/241.6/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Pcos does have an effect on sleep patterns, but much like other symptoms of PCOS everyone is different. I myself go through times of intense insomnnia, and then where I can't get enough sleep, although those times are far and few.
The problem is exactly that the amount of research being done isn't enough. Yes there is tons of info today, unlike when I was dx in 1999, (although I was told at 16, in 1991 I had cystic ovaries) unfortunetly a lot of the info is confusing and hard to decifer for ones specific set of symptoms.
I am just so greatful that we are here to encourage and point each other in the right directions. What works for one may not work for the other, but how great that we can all talk and help each other out.
I do practice relaxation techniques and give myself rest whenever I feel I need to, which probably contributes a very small amount to not sleeping well at night.... What a vicous cycle!!!!!!
Just my 2 cents
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 03:50

my aunt lives in washington

i jsut wish something could be done about it all cause i dont work at the moment but wen i was at school it was hard enough to get up for that after not bein able to sleep til 4am and i dont see my self bein able to hold down a job, how does everyone els manage?
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 09:40

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. It goes through a terrible cycle in which I get NO sleep to waking each hour. Yes, I had this problem for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
does anyone with pcos have a prob with there sleep as well? either sleepin more or less then normal or wakin up all the time in the night
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins starting Saturday
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I've been an insomniac since I was a baby...with no relief in sight. Only thing is now, with getting older (32) and having gained so much weight, I find myself WIPED OUT all the time. Practically no energy. But I still cannot sleep. Been through meds and docs when I was younger and was deemed a chronic insomniac. I also have restless legs syndrome, but don't treat that with meds. Just try to fake it till I make it through the night. Exercise does help some....

I am a classic night owl and when I can sleep, find it easier to do so during the day. Too bad I have to be working at that time. LOL I need to find a job where I can work during the night.

So is mine PCOS related? Doubt it. PCOS probably just makes it worse.

SE.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 09:59

exactly the same for me, wen they sun is shinin in my room im out like a light but at night wen its dark it dont seem to help but aws soon as it hits 4am and the sun starts to cum up i can start to shut off. doc has never refered me to any one or anything just once gave sum sleepin pils that didnt wrk at all if anything kept me up even more
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 11:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh, I'm the same way with meds. They either make me high or make me bounce off the walls. Sleeping pills, sleeping herbs, you name it. LOL

No wonder we are so tired....

I was referred to a sleep clinic in 1996, but bailed, as there was a 2 yr waiting list. Daft me. I could have had some answers 7 yrs ago.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

HI I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS SLEEPING SINCE I WAS LIKE 12!! I always put it down to stress...and def notice if i have sugars it really messes me up....but i was wondering...how many of you...are stressed out??? Like do you think a lot before u sleep?? My mind is ALWAYS RACING about ANY problem i have before i sleep....so it takes me like 2 hours to sleep and i get restless sleeping w waking up and tossing and turning
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 22:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Stressin' over here....

I remember in Grade 6 being taken to a doc after nights on end of night terrors, sleep walking, or not sleeping at all. The Doc at the time (from what I can remember - as she saved the fancy lingo for my mum) basically summed it up to one side of my brain not shutting down for the night. Now, this sounds so silly, but I believe it has merit. All I can say is shame on the Doc for allowing a child carry on without sleep and/or the above problems.

My brain never shuts down. Ever. EVER. It's an awful thing to live with, actually. And stress does not help, as I am alway stressed (with sky high cortisol levels to boot). And I can't sleep right off. It too takes me about 2 hrs or so. And I wake up about every 20-50 minutes. I have an aunt with the same issue, so can it be genetic too?

So, I don't really know what the deal is. Everyone has a theory. I just know that in my 32 years, I've never slept well.

<enter BIG YAWN here> lol
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 09:41

yes definately. i came to that conclusion about a year ago cause i was always layin there wide awake and people asked me what do i do all night and i replied with just thinkin about day to day stuff and i would say im definately stressed and i can never shut my mind off to actualy get to sleep. even when i was 8 or so my parents sed try thinkin of nothin but black and then ya mind starts thinkin of an object thats black and sum thing related to that object and then u back to thinkin again. iv notice when my periods are due i tend to be awake longer then normal so im def putin it down to hormones and PCOS
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default meditation

thats interesting u say that....the thing abut thinking of black...that is a form of meditation...trying to think of one thing or nothing at all....and most people find it so hard...bc the thing that happens is all these thoughts come to ur head...like a ton...that is a way you release them or something..u r supposed to keep trying to clear ur mind and i heard it takes a long time to be able to meditate bc most people can not get through that first stage where all the thoughts come to head...which means u have too much in ur head...look up meditation...its very interesting
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-05, 11:54

just been readin up on this and aparently the hormone melatonin colud be a key part to pcos AND sleep

http://www.iwdl.net/Melatonin.htm check out that link