Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-20-01, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 236/210/155
BF:
Progress:
Default Pectin question........

Would anyone know what the nutrtional numbers are for the "BerNARdin No Sugar Needed Pectin"? I have been searching online for a couple of hours with no luck.I have quite a few recipes that are low in carbs but I need the info on the pectin.I've emailed BerNARdin but because of the holiday I won't hear back for awhile.
Thanks for any help!
Carol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-20-01, 15:20

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Sorry

I wish I could help...but I haven't a clue.
Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-20-01, 18:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Carol,

I've done a search as well, and no nutritional info was found. However, the product is made in Canada, and from what I read, it can be found easily in large supermarkets. Most likely the information would be on the package itself.

Hope this helps,

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 00:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Carol,

The "no sugar needed" powdered pectin is a special type, low methoxyl, which requires little or no sugar to form a gel. (regular pectin must have sugar and acid present in order to "set") -- it does require calcium, so you'll likely see that somewhere in the ingredients list.

Pectin is pure carbohydrate. It does have some soluble fiber in it. It's likely that the box of powder also contains a small amount of dextrose, and/or maltodextrin, plus a sorbate of some kind (a preservative to prevent spoilage, since there'll be little or no sugar in the finished product).

Corrine Netzer lists the regular pectin as being 100% carbohydrate, of which some is sugar, no fat or protein, and about 10% fiber. I would imagine that the no sugar pectin, which will have some sugar in it, by the way, will also be 100% carbohydrate, and perhaps a slightly higher percentage of soluble fiber.

The usual package weight is 49 gm, so that would be 49 gm carbs, of which 5 to 10 gm would be fiber. Sounds high, until you consider this amount is divided amongst 4 or 5 jars of jam...

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks.....

I checked at the store yesterday & still no nutrition on the packaging.All it says is :Ingredients: Dextrose, pectin, locust bean and xanthan gum. So the carbs are in the dextrose.
I do have a recipe to make my own pectin & it calls for Granny Smith peelings.Might try it when I make my husband a pie.
Thanks again!
Carol
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-22-01, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

I heard back from BerNARdin on the "no sugar needed pectin".Now I can make low carb freezer jam!YAY!!
Carol

Here is what they had to say:

Thank you for contacting us regarding nutritional information for our No
Sugar Needed Pectin. Nutritional information is as follows:

Serving Size one-quarter teaspoon (1 gram dry mix)
Servings Per Container about 49
Calories 5
Total Fat 0g
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrates 1g
Sugars 1g
Protein 0g

All of the above are 0% Daily Value*

*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Thank you,
Consumer Affairs
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-22-01, 17:00
Forum Founder

BF:
Cool kewl

So, my guess wasn't so far off ... except that I did think there would be some fiber. Probably is when you consider the whole box, but is too little to count in a 1/4 tsp serving.

*sigh* I wish I had a bigger freezer.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-23-01, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I made a batch of low carb sugar free freezer strawberry jam today & it is wonderful! 1.4 carbs per Tbsp!! Going to try blueberry next!
I'm following PPLP so I can have the occasional slice of light bread.....PB & Jam , here I come!!

Carol
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-23-01, 20:38
Forum Founder

BF:
Default sugar-free jams

hi Carol,

I have the BerNARdin cookbook, and there is a section for "light" sugar-free jams and preserves. I also have "Put a Lid on It", by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard (Canadian) ... volume 2 is out as well. there is a section for sugar-free jams using the special no-sugar added pectin, and Splenda. However, I like to use SugarTwin (cyclamate) ... less than half the carbs of Splenda, and less maltodextrin to upset my gut. They average 3 carbs per Tbsp, but I imagine using a lower carb sweetener makes a difference.

I love strawberries, fresh and whole, but I find strawberry jam is BORING. I love raspberry jam and MARMALADE. Anybody out there have a lowcarb marmalade recipe??

The "Put a Lid on It" book has a 3-fruit marmalade spread, that uses canned unsweetened pineapple. It works out to just under 3 carbs per Tbsp, when made with Splenda. I'm thinking to substitute a part of the pineapple with steamed grated carrots, and SugarTwin and stevia as the sweetener. Don't know if it would work, but I'm willing to experiment.

I can't do the "bread" thing, even lowcarb.... so I will continue to make my version of Revolution Rolls, and enjoy them as buns for burgers, and brekkie with a bit o' soft cream cheese and sugar-free jam.

Doreen