Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 11:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs down Publisher trashing Atkins to promote their LC books

Tuesday July 9, 9:08 am Eastern Time
Press Release

SOURCE: Bay Books

Warning: Carbohydrates May be Hazardous to Your Health, According to Bay Books Author

Cookbook Offers Healthy Eating Solution

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 9, 2002--Americans have been mislead when it comes to a healthy diet. By recommending a high-carbohydrate diet of grains, pasta, rice, and bread, the government and the medical establishment may have contributed to the obesity epidemic in this country, according to Sunday's NY Times Magazine article (July 7, 2002) by Gary Taubes.

In New York for the Fancy Food Show, noted low-carbohydrate cooking expert, Linda Gassenheimer, said: "The article is a hot topic here because of its impact on the American diet. There is a safe compromise between the Atkins extreme and the food pyramid -- a balanced approach that works." Linda Gassenheimer is author of the best-selling cookbook, Low-Carb Meals in Minutes (Bay Soma Publishing; $18.95; 192 pp; ISBN:1-57959-512-X).

According to Taubes, Dr. Robert Atkins, author of the best-selling diet book, may have been right all along when he said diets high in carbohydrates contribute to obesity and even heart disease while steak, butter and eggs may be harmless. When Americans followed the government's food pyramid and ate more carbs and less fats in the early 1980s, millions began to bulk up. Today, more than 25 percent of Americans are obese.

Gassenheimer takes a healthier approach than Atkins, recommending a balanced eating lifestyle that includes the right carbs, the right fats, lean meats, and fiber. A Cordon Bleu-trained cook, Gassenheimer's book has reached number 1 on Amazon.com's best-seller list and number 2 on the Los Angeles Times' Cookbook Hotlist. Her newest low-carb cookbook is planned for January 2003.

Linda Gassenheimer is a syndicated food columnist with Knight-Ridder/Tribune and hosts a food show on National Public Radio in South Florida, where she resides. Foreign rights sales been brisk, reaching number 3 on the U.K. Amazon.com bestseller list. TV viewer ratings and book sales soared when Gassenheimer appeared on the Food Network, demonstrating tremendous interest in her plan and recipes.

Bay Books publishes cookbooks, gardening and interior design titles which are distributed to booksellers through Publisher's Group West and to other retail establishments through regional representatives.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020709/90185_1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 11:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Now here's an opportunity, when the New York Times publishes a milestone article supporting Atkins and low-carb. Yet, all this low-carb book publisher could think of is how to twist it into their own profit, by trashing the Atkins diet as uhealthy. Did they read the NYT article?

With friends like these, who needs enemies

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Angry AAAAAAAH!!!

Well Said!
It drives me around the bend when I hear The Atkins Programme condemned by focusing only on the induction period. I get all worked up and want to rant to someone. Perhaps I will start emailing the publishers and authors. I don't know how Dr. Atkins has remained sane with all the distortions out there.

Aaak I can't even write coherently when I think about it!

Colin
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking

you are so right, i must tell you that so many people read that NYTimes article, and then asked me, (because they know I've been lo carbing) just what I eat, and how it works. It's a shame that Dr. Atkins doesn't get the credit he deserves. Chris