Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 01:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%
Default Why the Atkins Diet Should NOT Be Your Summer Diet of Choice

Besides, of course, the fact that carbs are yummy. :-) According to a 2005 study by Beisswenger, the collagen of patients who were put on the Atkins diet aged faster than the collagen of patients who were not on the diet. Specifically, it was found that the rate of advanced glycation endproduct (AGE) formation, responsible in part for the hardened aged state of collagen, was actually doubled in patients who were following the Atkins diet from those who were not. (It was verified the patients in the diet group were following the Atkins diet by the presence of ketones in their urine.) It seems that ketosis doubles the presence of methylglyoxal in the body, which reacts with Amadori products, forming twice the collagen-aging AGE products that would normally be present. It is further notable that methylglyoxal is 40000 times more reactive than blood sugar itself, so it seems that avoiding sugar in hopes of decreasing AGE formation is incredibly counterproductive!

So what is a body-conscious, skin-savvy patient to do? According to über nutritionist Joy Bauer, MS, RD, CDN and author of Food Cures, the best bet is to consume high-quality carbohydrates, such as vegetables, fruits, beans, peas, lentils, brown and wild rice, barley, oatmeal, whole grain cereals, whole grain breads, whole grain crackers, quinoa, amaranth, wheat berries, and millet, rather than eliminating carbohydrates. These carbohydrates allow blood sugars to rise gently, stay even over a longer period of time than their simple carb counterparts, and then fall off slowly.

So don’t age your skin to make your body leaner - simply cut out only the simple carbs, switch to all complex carbs, and get healthier, leaner, and still have younger skin as a result.

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/05/2...diet-of-choice/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 01:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

I came across this article and thought "Huh? No way!" -- because in real life, my skin looks fantastic and I attribute a good part of that to the Atkins diet.

But, my own anecdotal experience aside, what do you think about the points she is making about AGEs?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 01:58

Plan: Zone
Stats: 205/212/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:34/26/12
Progress: -13%

Most of the people in the study were probably doing the Atkins diet wrong, i.e. never having any fruit and hardly ever taking in any fresh plant based food.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 03:50

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Didn't Dr. Eades talk about this?

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...er-2/#more-1224

*sigh* Whatever. There's always plastic surgery, right?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 04:24

Plan: lc
Stats: 93/75/74 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 95%

check the source of the article (a blogging dermatology med student). she's misinterpreted the study. the researchers didn't measure collagen loss, nor did they measure AGEs. they measured methylglyoxal, which was raised and is usually raised in diabetics. difference is, of course, methylglyoxal is damaging in a hyperglycemic state, which is never found in a low-carber.

Last edited by pbowers : Sun, Jun-01-08 at 04:30.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 05:15

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well that's interesting. But if I do say so myself, I have beautiful flawless skin now. I have way less wrinkles than other friends my age and no blemishes at all. Also, since LC'ing, all my dry skin problems have corrected themselves on their own.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

What could be more suspicous than a "Future Dermatologist" telling people that a glucose driven process can't be relieved by Atkins. How would she have any "Future Earnings" if people didn't have so many skin problems by avoiding carbs and the resultant insulin production.

But then people who are looking for a "Summer Diet" aren't folks who register high in the "forethought and knowledge" area. Perhaps it's best they don't try Atkins until they are ready to do it right.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 06:54

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSka
But, my own anecdotal experience aside, what do you think about the points she is making about AGEs?

The major AGE that we know is critical is HbA1C which is reliably reduced on a low carb diet.

Beisswenger's work is highly adversarial. For example, in one of his papers, he says “Several studies of people who have undergone periodic weight loss, “weight cycling,” which commonly occurs on diets such as the Atkins diet,(2) have shown increased cardiovascular problems”

Now, reference 2 does not refer to the Atkins diet and, in any case, the abstract of that paper concludes “The evidence suggests that weight loss and weight fluctuation (cycling) in these men does not directly increase the risk of death.”

I wrote to Beisswenger and asked him " the question most of our medical students want to know:

Suppose your patient showed up and told you that they had been on the Atkins diet for several weeks and it turned out they lost weight, reduced their medication, improved their lipid profile, had better glycemic control and reduced Hb A1C. What would you do? Tell them to stop because you were concerned about the long term consequences?

What would you do?"

He never answered.

Richard Feinman
Professor of Biochemistry
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 09:30

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Scary

So scary how flawed studies get into the press and I am sure the whoever agrees with the conclusion or supposed conclusion will spread it and so by spreading it gains the halo of "Truth." This is so like many of the scenarios in Good Calories, Bad Calories. How the erroneous and flawed become the, "Law," and how that becomes media darlings. Turns us into skeptics, but that is not bad, eh?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't care what the study says, my skin looks great on low carb and horrible on high carb. good enough "research" for me!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurederm
So what is a body-conscious, skin-savvy patient to do? According to über nutritionist Joy Bauer, MS, RD, CDN and author of Food Cures, the best bet is to consume high-quality carbohydrates, such as vegetables, fruits, beans, peas, lentils, brown and wild rice, barley, oatmeal, whole grain cereals, whole grain breads, whole grain crackers, quinoa, amaranth, wheat berries, and millet, rather than eliminating carbohydrates. These carbohydrates allow blood sugars to rise gently, stay even over a longer period of time than their simple carb counterparts, and then fall off slowly.

Sounds like a press release for Bauer's book!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:13
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Just another carb pusher....

Yet, diabetics should be worried about AGE and heart disease.

I think the best thing for younger looking skin is prescription sunblock with Retin-A, exercise, and some sun wearing your wrinkle-reducing sunblock.

However, I do find it harder to eat low-carb in the summer when all the aromatic fruits are in the market and the last thing i want is a heavy protein meal.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 10:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Y'all should post your comments on her blog. Maybe she can be salvaged.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
I think the best thing for younger looking skin is prescription sunblock with Retin-A, exercise, and some sun wearing your wrinkle-reducing sunblock.
Interesting statement. I would argue that the best thing for younger looking skin is to live in a place with a warm climate and don't worry about the sun.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast, where each summer we wondered why the beach tourists had such weathered looking skin. We got several times the sun exposure year round, and the only time anyone used sun block who wasn't very fair skinned was in the beginning of the summer when you needed to develop a tan without burning. After you got the tan you never touched sunscreen.

I'll take my tan, the vitamin D from the sun exposure, and a low carb diet to improve skin along with the rest of my health.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 11:08
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Liz, I live in Ft. Lauderdale and have an excellent tan. You get all the benefits of sun exposure with a moderate sun blocker. A friend who lives in Hawaii told me about the Retin-A sunscreen. She's 54 and looks about 30. We're both scuba divers and we spend a lot of time on boats.