Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 278/268.6/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Almond Flour...The Answer?

I just returned from Sam's Club where I stumbled across an ingredient called "Almond Flour." A quick Google search revealed recipes for muffins, waffles, bread, buns, etc....made with this magical stuff that only has 2 net carbs (5 - 3 dietary fiber).

Do you have experience with this 'flour?'
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 15:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

yes, I use it instead of "real" flour to make cakes etc - great stuff

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 15:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Suzy - I do not use Almond Flour or any equivalent. I'm sure there are others who will chime in that have good experience with it. When I went very low carb, I was determined to get rid of all grains in my diet. I also made a conscious decision to avoid all of the low-carb equivalent recipes that enable one to make pancakes, muffins, etc. that initially seem to lessen the dramatic dietary changes being made. The reason for my decision is that I wanted to develop a discipline of enjoying healthy whole foods to enable me to adapt to this WOE without taking on the mindset that I was "missing" something. It's worked well for me, as I consider these equivalents, albeit with lower carbs, as gateway foods that would have kept me in a stall, or worse, would have encourage me to make exceptions. Today, I don't feel that I'm missing anything, as when one adapts completely, there's no longer the craving for these food types.

There are many who can eat these equivalents with no negative results, and I knew from the beginning that I best stay away that category. YMMV - but there's only one way to find out. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 15:21

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I've played around with almond flour and coconut flour along with other low carb substitutes. Over time, I must say I agree with GRB5111 above. Instead of finding subs for some of the same foods that caused me problems, I have done much better by just changing my mindset and food choices. Everyone is different, so good luck and have fun.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 16:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Tonight I used almond flour as a binder for meatloaf, the same bag bought for Christmas cookies. (Kept in the freezer as nuts have oils that can go rancid) Like others I don't make breads, crackers or the like often, usually for company. There are so so many almond, coconut and flax flour substitute recipes, and quite good too, but I would rather have a salad than a sandwich made with almond flour bread.[QUOTE]
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 16:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I use it here and there. Actually, I can't remember the last time I used it. I have some in my pantry and haven't bothered with it.

I find coconut flour far more useful, but I don't make desserts out of it. I love it in meatballs and meat or salmon patties. I also enjoy coconut flour/cheese tea biscuits that are VERY filling. Filling, and even though the texture is nice and moist, it has a way of making you chew slowly through them. Built-in portion control. I can never eat more than one, and I'm satisfied for a long time. I didn't really like almond flour for the same purpose.

If you were following Atkins to the letter (recommended ) you'd want to be waiting until you were comfortable approaching the nut level on the carb ladder. Satiety, cravings and all that stuff are very subjective. Just be honest with yourself about whether or not you're able to handle such replacement foods without binging or going berzerk, and which ones are the culprits.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 19:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i'm another one who uses coconut or flaxmeal on occasion- i used to use the almond, too- but my boyfriend has a nut allergy.

for breads/buns, i recommend the infamous "oopsie roll" recipe on this forum. or just ditch the bread (what i do) and wrap in lettuce.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 19:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Another useful thing is to make wraps. Finally, something to put lunch meat in!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 02:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I agree about the Oopsie roll - a similar recipe is on the internet here:

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low...rger-bun-229625

It's excellent, and well worth buying a little coffee grinder for the flax.

I very occasionally use almond flour to make a cake flavoured with orange and sweetened with a touch of stevia, and it's nice, but I don't make a habit of it.

I think that if you get into the habit of baking sweet substitutes you'll revert to buying and eating the real thing if you're stressed or less motivated to think about your diet. My experience has been that because I don't eat a lot of sweet stuff, the bought stuff now tastes unbearably sweet to me, and I really don't want it.

If you concentrate on finding really great, tasty and fast main meals to cook, then you're more likely to stick with them after the first flush of enthusiasm wears off.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Apr-21-15 at 02:36.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Almond flour is a useful addition, with some care. Most people find nuts can be easily over-indulged in, and thus, potential stallers. This goes multiple-so for nut flours, which have even more nuts per serving!

It also lends a crumbly texture, which is just what you might want for shortbread-type cookies and muffins, but less so for sandwich wraps.

I get the best results with a mix of almond flour, coconut flour, and protein powder (depending on the final product.) It's great to have a recipe I can whip up to bring to parties or have during the holidays. The amazing thing is that when I eat such goodies, I'm "normal." I can have a serving, and STOP. It is an awesome, occasional, treat.

Here's my recipe for Sorta Shortbread

I find that low carb treats are far better than the high carb kind, and it was a revelation to enjoy a treat-like food without losing my mind and my grip. And it has its uses for savory things, too, like salmon patties or crab cakes, though now I'm just as likely to use crushed pork rinds.

But I've also gotten away from such things. I'm dealing with a health issue and I don't have the time. I've gotten much more Paleo and no longer use artificial sweeteners, so I'd have to recast my recipes with honey or maple syrup, with more carbs (though my taste for sweet has become hugely sensitive and I'd probably use very little.) And I don't miss it, either, which is fine.

I had a lot of fun learning to cook with such recipes, and adjusting my, previously-awesome, baking skills into low carb channels taught me even more. And when I've got more energy, and social occasions are upon me, I'll have a good reason to explore such things again.

So I would say the advice to wait until the Nut Rung of Atkins is a very good one. Getting a grip on cravings and not using treats like rewards is another excellent lesson to teach ourselves. Because while they are more nutritious than the wheat & sugar toxin bombs our society is used to handing out constantly, they are less nutritious than the whole foods we should make the overwhelming majority of our diet.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 07:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I like to use almond flour mixed with grated parmesan cheese (1/3 Almond flour to 2/3 parmesan), plus appropriate seasonings as a coating for fried fish, chicken nuggets, and pork chops. The fat in the pan gets a little bubbly and gross looking, but the food turns out great. It is a nice substitute for a wheat flour breading. P.S.: once the food is fried and removed from the pan, I blot it with a paper towel to remove some of the greasiness. This makes the coating seem a little more crispy.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 09:59

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Coconut flour...I love it in meatballs and meat or salmon patties.
Hi Kristine...I would think you use a pretty small amount, right? I like the idea for salmon patties, or maybe crab cakes...
Any recipe in particular that you use/like? Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 10:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Not really. I take my batch of meat or can of salmon, add an egg, add some parmesan cheese, and blend that. Then I add a little coconut flour at a time, just enough to hold it together into patties.

Bad habit of mine (or good?), just being a slap-dash cook.