Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 19:29

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Pizza in NYC

I am in NYC for the first time in my life. And I had a slice of NY Pizza, folded it half and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm going to rely on portion control this week. I also had a pastrami on rye with Swiss. But I only ate half. I bought a bacon egg and cheese on croissant from a street vendor, and only ate half.

We had a team meal, family style, with the project team. Stuffed mushrooms, tomato/mozerrella salad, fillet mignon, spaghetti and meatballs (which I ate very little of) from Carmine's in Times Square. And I came in under my calories today.

So it's more of a WW than a low carb week for me. I like what I learned about portion control. I intend to enjoy a bit of the tastes of NY, and still lose weight this week. But if I don't, that's ok. A little living is a good thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 19:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
I am in NYC for the first time in my life. And I had a slice of NY Pizza, folded it half and enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm going to rely on portion control this week. I also had a pastrami on rye with Swiss. But I only ate half. I bought a bacon egg and cheese on croissant from a street vendor, and only ate half.

We had a team meal, family style, with the project team. Stuffed mushrooms, tomato/mozerrella salad, fillet mignon, spaghetti and meatballs (which I ate very little of) from Carmine's in Times Square. And I came in under my calories today.

So it's more of a WW than a low carb week for me. I like what I learned about portion control. I intend to enjoy a bit of the tastes of NY, and still lose weight this week. But if I don't, that's ok. A little living is a good thing.

oy....I love NYC pizza....and haven't had it for several years! No bagels or pasta either! I avoid white flour all the time!! evil stuff I tell ya!
Carmines is da bomb!
Thanks for sharing!

One other thing, if you like WW so much, we not post all this to them?l
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 19:51

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

Quote:

Have a great time, get back on the horse as soon as you're outta here!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 20:09

BF:

I'm not off the horse, and THIS IS NOT A FRCKIN CONFESSION. I did not give in to a moment of weakness, and I did not cheat. Im a grown man making choices.

I'm in a special city and using calorie counting, portion control, and moderation to ENJOY my WOE. I will lose weight this week, just watch.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 20:15

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sounds like you got all the answers for yourself. Enjoy! But it does sounds like an excuse to enjoy a taste of New York. Just enjoy and then back to business. Whether is 1/4 sandwich or 2/3 of a spagetti dish or half a slice a pizza, just work it!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 20:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore4now
Sounds like you got all the answers for yourself. Enjoy! But it does sounds like an excuse to enjoy a taste of New York. Just enjoy and then back to business. Whether is 1/4 sandwich or 2/3 of a spagetti dish or half a slice a pizza, just work it!

Why does one need an excuse? I shared about how I'm handling a trip to a city where food is one of the attractions. It's a good thing to be able to enjoy life, in moderation.

I had a half bacon egg and cheese "mc muffin" from a street vendor, a half of a pastrami sandwich from NYC deli, and had that fab meal at Carmine's....and came in under my calorie goals for the day! That's not something to confess...that's having a great day.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 20:36

BF:

From the Sticky on what this section is for.

Quote:
First of all, forgive yourself. You made a mistake. Guilt causes no weight loss at all. Guilt can (and often does) lead us to more comfort eating or self-punishing eating.~

...snip...

Remember, you can't "blow the diet" because this isn't a diet but a permanent way of eating. Part of a WOE is finding strategies for dealing with challenging situations. As long as you are learning something from this experience, you're still moving forward.

Yes, I remembered that I'm not on a diet, but have a way of eating. I devised a strategy for handling a trip to NYC. I'm executing the strategy using moderation, portion control and calorie counting to ENJOY some of the tastes of this very special city.

Therefore I HAVE no guilt for I did not make a mistake, and that's why -I- didn't post my thread in the confession section.

I did put the thread in the semi low carb ghetto to which I had been banished.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 22:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
From the Sticky on what this section is for.

Quote:
First of all, forgive yourself. You made a mistake. Guilt causes no weight loss at all. Guilt can (and often does) lead us to more comfort eating or self-punishing eating.~

...snip...

Remember, you can't "blow the diet" because this isn't a diet but a permanent way of eating. Part of a WOE is finding strategies for dealing with challenging situations. As long as you are learning something from this experience, you're still moving forward.

Yes, I remembered that I'm not on a diet, but have a way of eating. I devised a strategy for handling a trip to NYC. I'm executing the strategy using moderation, portion control and calorie counting to ENJOY some of the tastes of this very special city.

Therefore I HAVE no guilt for I did not make a mistake, and that's why -I- didn't post my thread in the confession section.

I did put the thread in the semi low carb ghetto to which I had been banished.

Hi there leebase.

First of all, the two stickies here in the Confession Booth are simply intended to help members who have fallen off their plan, to cope. They do not describe "what this section is for".

However, while this section of the board is mostly so people can find support when they need it after eating something high carb, we also make it a practice to move threads here where people are discussing eating high carb food. This is not because we assume you have made a mistake, it is simply because many of us find discussion of high carb foods can be a trigger, and so susceptible people can avoid this area if necessary.

So please don't be upset by this. And enjoy your NYC trip.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 22:14

BF:

It was in the SEMI low carb section. And learning how to use moderation and portion control aught to be in everyone's bag of options. And even if it's not for everyone, it's an option for some. Hearing that's it's helpful for some....offers help to others for whom it would also help.

Going to a wonderful city like NYC and then eating nothing but your normal foods...that would be a thing to cause some to give up. What's the point of sticking with a diet that prevents you from enjoying different food once in awhile?

How in the world can you have a south beach section of your website? The regularly eat carbs that are a trigger to those who would be disturbed by the mention of someone enjoying a moderate portion of carbs
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 07:58

BF:

This morning I bought a bacon, egg and cheese croissant from the same street vendor. But today I had left early enough...and was more familiar with the client accommodations...so I took the sandwich to work with me. Ate it at my desk, but threw the croissant away instead of eating it. So basically, I had bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 10:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
It was in the SEMI low carb section. And learning how to use moderation and portion control aught to be in everyone's bag of options. And even if it's not for everyone, it's an option for some. Hearing that's it's helpful for some....offers help to others for whom it would also help.

Going to a wonderful city like NYC and then eating nothing but your normal foods...that would be a thing to cause some to give up. What's the point of sticking with a diet that prevents you from enjoying different food once in awhile?

How in the world can you have a south beach section of your website? The regularly eat carbs that are a trigger to those who would be disturbed by the mention of someone enjoying a moderate portion of carbs

I'm going to address the words bolded.
SBD does not allow for any foods made from white processed flour. Where did you get that its OK on SBD?
I am one of those who find it triggers me when I have to read about it and appreciate that your post was moved here.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 07:58
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

"Going to a wonderful city like NYC and then eating nothing but your normal foods...that would be a thing to cause some to give up. What's the point of sticking with a diet that prevents you from enjoying different food once in awhile?"

okay, Lee, I'm going to respond to this. I read it a couple of days ago but it is still concerning me, so here I go.

Lee, this is not a DIET to me, or to many others on this site. It is a way of life- literally. If I ate the way most people do, or gave myself permission to "enjoy different foods once in a while" (your code for eating carbs- because there are lots of foods that are 'different' that are not carbs) I'd be on a very slippery slope. If I go off LC, I will be sick again. I will be insulin resistant, and I believe diabetic in short order. That I'd be fat again is a factor, but a minor one compared to the health isues.

It's okay to say that YOU consider this a diet, and that YOU can "try different foods", but please don't present this as applying to others. After almost 9 years on this site I've seen sooooo many people slip and keep on sliding.

I think it's great that you got the bacon/egg/cheese and ate it without the roll. Whe I was in NYC in June I got the bacon/egg/cheese from a cart for breakfast daily-in aluminum foil- delish! I had a NYC hot dog with no bun (a bit messy), lots and lots of iced coffee and iced green tea when I was thirsty or had seen one too many ice cream cart or pastry in a window, and nuts from a stash I brought. Lunch (except for the hot dog) was a large salad from one of the ubiquitous salad places- it was fantastic to get any veggies and protein I wanted all mixed and chopped fresh.

so for me, I've been lots of places since this WOL- and I've stayed on plan. It can be done and it can be fun. My best memories of Egypt are not the foods or the meals- but the people, the Nile and the experience of being in a different world. Florence- the countryside, the city and the art. Not the food.
In Florence I had cheese and coffee for breakfast every morning- not the pastry and breads that were provided with teh cheese. I had a GREAT time-
it is possible. And the point of "sticking with " this plan is that it has given me back my life- and I intend to live it to the fullest!
Thanks-
HTH
E
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 11:24

BF:

Who said it applied to anyone else? I lost 3lbs that week, despite the pizza, knish, bagel, and pastrami sandwich.

Who says pizza is the difference between a diet and a way of eating? My way of eating allows me to enjoy pretty much all foods in moderation. I used portion control, moderation and watched my calories and so enabled myself to enjoy food and still lose weight.

This past week I've been home and my carbs have been about 15% of my diet.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 405/379/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

There's a bigger problem here folks and its one that needs to be addressed. Lee or anyone else that is doing their own thing needs to keep in mind the recent findings that point to high fat being fine for you as long as you keep carbs low. By low I have seen numbers suggesting 120g/day or lower. If you eat high fat and mod/high carb even though you are losing weight by calorie counting, you are not getting the lipid benefits that come with low carb eating. In fact you are setting yourself up for some potentially life threatening issues in regards to your blood profile.

Please do not take my word for it, research it for yourself.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 12:44

BF:

You'll have to do a little better than "do the research yourself" if you wish to back up your assertion.

I haven't taken the position "my current state diet is example of the perfect diet". What I'm doing is making changes and improving my diet from "current state" to "better state". This, I'm finding, is far more sustainable -- for me -- than jumping from "current state" to "perfect state".

I remain fairly confident that Lee at 264lbs is considerably healthier than the Lee at 309lbs. While it would take no effort to find flaws comparing my current diet to perfection...it is equally no challenge to realize that my current diet is a huge step forward than what I had been eating.

Perfection is the enemy of progress.