Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-15, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default pork roast suggestions

I've been buying some meats from a local farm this winter and would like to try a pork roast. I don't care for pork tenderloin, it's too lean for me. So I'd like something nice and fatty that I can slow roast. I've read that shoulder roast is a good cut for that but they only have a smoked part of a shoulder roast.

Some of the other choices are pork loin roast, bone-in pork loin roast, boneless rib roast, center cut boneless roast. I'm thinking the last one might be best. Anyone have other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 02:16

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I like the shoulder roast with the blade bone, followed by the bone-in 'butt' (also a shoulder cut I think). I agree the tenderloin in too dry!

Do you have a Stater Brothers market in your area? They put these roasts on sale for .99 pretty often. I picked one up tonight for $10.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 09:52

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Like GWTW I prefer the shoulder cuts (yes the butt - sometimes called Boston butt - is one of those) for a nice fatty meal. I braise mine (slow cook with moisture) in an enameled cast iron pan with lots of mushrooms, fennel, celery, and moderate amounts of onions and garlic, a half cup of wine, a half cup of broth, salt and spices. I let it cook at a slow simmer (either on cooktop or oven) for 3-4 hours till the collagen breaks down and the meat melts in my mouth. It is so much more delicious that the expensive lean cuts of meat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 16:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the suggestions, they have a whole butt roast so have to see how many # - but also shoulder roast by the pound, I always prefer with blade/bone in if available.

The recipe with celery and fennel sounds so good Liz, thanks for posting, I'll try it soon! Do you cook it with red or white wine?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-15, 18:05

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've posted this before, but this recipe changed my life several years ago and I just made it last week. Look for pork shoulder with the skin on and buy it from a farmer if you can.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...der-recipe.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork3.jpg (13.9 KB, 2 views)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 09:34

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Pazia, I've used both red or white wine, whatever we have open. It's good either way.

Squarecube, my mouth is watering. I know I've never seen a pork shoulder that big but am beginning to explore locally raised "free range" pork and maybe I could special order.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

there are SOOOOO many ways to play with that roast.
one of my favorites is to slow roast it in the oven, over night.. very low temperature.. it comes out sooo juicy. the Cubans like to season it and then squeeze lime all over it.. which is one of my favorites.

another way is to slow roast it and then shred it and add lots of seasonings and lime.. this is what they make their tacos out of.

another way is to put it in the crock pot with curry seasonings.. some coconut milk and make a nice pork curry!

pork is cheap. you can make it so many ways.. but the slower and lower temps to cook it at will yield a juicy piece of meat.

*if you've ever tried cooking pork chops quickly.. you know how dried out they get.. tasteless... that's why most people cook it slow and low!

good luck!

* i just got a boneless boston butt, yesterday.. it will probably be cooked in coconut milk and curry spices! one of my favorite ways to eat it.