Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

I would say there is no substitute for vital wheat gluten flour. I know it's available online, in the USA from Bob's Red Mills. Bob's Red Mills vital wheat gluten flour (it's 75-80% protein). Here's a link for more information:

www.lowcarbluxury.com/gluten.html

Don't feel out of place being from the USA....check the members list...there are members from all over....there are some from UK, some from Australian...and USA!!! Everyone is welcome.

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-01, 20:24

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The only reason why I used flavor protein powder was because I didn't have plain. So by all means adjust this recipe to your taste. I love the flavor of pecans so I used that instead of using more gluten flour.

All I can say is experiment with it. I got my flour from www.carbsmart.com and the pecan meal from www.low-carb.com

#33   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 15:31

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

To Cocoa8 and all other interested parties!

Well I finally managed to make your recipe today in Mississauga, and I have the following to report:

From 1 to 10 as compared with the real bagels, I would rate my results as a 5.

I was able to get Gluten Flour and Almond meal at Bulk Barn.
I used whey powder instead of protein powder which I found at Loblaws.

I was able to use my bread machine which has a special Bagel Dough listing on its computer.

I found that I could not make long sticks and stick the ends together, because when I kneaded the dough it was popping like chewing gum and the ends would not glue together; so I ended up making bagels with no holes, (or little buns.)

Halve of the bagels did not rise very high and I learned that the boiling water with baking soda and cream of tartar had to be hot, rolling and with white foam and then they grew very well.

I am very curious to learn what each of the following ingredients does for the bagel, ie; gluten, almond meal, protein powder or whey powder.

I find that the texture of the bagel is very soft and large air pockets; I would prefer them much more dense and chewy like regular bagels.

Can anybody tell me what I did wrong as I am a novice baker?

Netzers book lists gluten flour at the same amount of carbs as most regular flours so what is the advantage? I believe the book shows 22 or 23 carbs for 1/4 cup of any flour including gluten.

All comments would be appreciated , Regards
Joe
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 15:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Wink RE: Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten Flour

Joe,

Nutritional Info For the above: per 30 g serving !/4 cup:

Energy 120 cal.

Protein 23 g ( Joe this is one of the differences between regular flour and vital gluten)

Fat .5 gm.

Carbohydrates 6 grams (this is the other big factor in using vital wheat gluten flour over others)

Dietary Fiber 0 gm.

Sodium 0 gm.

Hopes this clears up your confusion in regards to this product.

Bonnie

#35   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 17:13

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default GLUTEN FLOUR??

i found gluten flour at the bulk barn today. is this the same as vital wheat gluten?
  #36   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 17:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default debbie and joe,

At Bulk Barn, there's a tear-off pad of info. and nutritional data next to most of the bins, describing the product. Vital Wheat Gluten, Gluten or Gluten flour, as specifically called for in LOWCARB bread recipes is 75 to 80% protein. Bonnie has given the correct nutritional data in her post above .. ..

Bob's Red Mill is just a brand name, there are others as well, Rogers and Arrowhead Mills spring to mind. Don't get hung up on the brand name. And some stores may call it any of the names I listed above. What you look for specifically is the high protein content, 75 to 80%, or 23 to 24 gm protein per 30 gm serving.

Hope this hasn't confused you further ..

Doreen

Added Note

How to tell if what you bought is the right stuff ----- put a couple Tbsp in a bowl and add a little water. If it turns into a beige coloured rubbery mass, with a somewhat "meaty" odour, and absolutely no starchy residue or milkiness to the liquid, you DEFINITELY have vital wheat gluten. Go ahead with your recipes.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, May-13-01, 08:32

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Bread machine Bagels???

Has anyone tried this in the bread machine??? I wonder if I put it on the setting that does everything but cook it, if it would work? or is this recipe too big??? I have a 2lb capacity. I also LOVE the everything bagels from Tim Horton's. I looked at that web site for bagels but when you calculate the exchange (I live in Canada) they're very expensive bagels!!!

Everything bagels would be easy to make (adding the toppings on top) and the other thing I was thinking about is that onions turn into sugar in our bodies hence making them a little higher in carbs??? Would I be correct in that assumption ladies???

Please let me know so I can start making these. My favorite thing to make are plain bagels with cream cheese and you add chopped cucumbers mixed with a little bit of red onions and red wine vinegar (salt & pepper to taste) OH WOW THIS IS GOOD!!!!

Thanks

#38   ^
Old Sun, May-13-01, 08:42

BF:
Progress:

I use my bread machine for this all the time, like you said...just don't cook it. I use the "pasta" selection.

I find the gluten flour a read sticky mess to clean up...doing the kneading in the bread machine eliminates this as mine has a telfon type finish and I just have to wipe it out.

I find I can't make them with the hole in the middle, I sometimes just tie them in a knot.

#39   ^
Old Sun, May-13-01, 08:46

BF:
Default Bread machine bagels continued

Ok so when your machine is done doing it's thang... you boil them then the egg wash (with toppings) then bake right???

I don't think I have a "pasta" setting on mine but I think it's called dough... or something or rather.... I haven't used it in a dog's age... LOL (low carb did that to me ) I will definitely try it. I'm not sure if we have a bulk barn here in Ottawa for all these ingrediences, but I'll check it out.

Thanks for your reply,

#40   ^
Old Sun, May-13-01, 08:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile bagel holes

hi everybody,

I tend to avoid discussions on breads, and baking in general (triggers wheat and especially yeast allergic-addictions) BUT ... I once saw on a TV cooking show, where the fellow made perfect bagels with the perfect hole in the middle ... by using a small ball of dough, and instead of rolling it into a rope and joining the ends ... He poked a hole with his finger through the middle, then twirled it around and around until it had stretched and opened up nicely. Don't know if it would work here, given the persnickety nature of the high-protein vital gluten .... but it' might be worth a try ..

Doreen
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-13-01, 19:16

BF:
Progress:
Default Kay's Final Bread Recipe - Buns

Gracia_30...and any others interested....

Since trying "Kay's Final Bread Recipe" I haven't made bagels. I've been making her recipe into buns...and believe it or not...I think they're even more like bagels than this bagel recipe, and half the work. I get about 16 bagels out of a recipe....I make the recipe exactly the way Kay indicates.. only instead of putting the dough in a bread pan to rise, I cut it in pieces and shape them into buns and put them on pans not touching each other.....it hardly takes any work at all....(I don't knead again). I let them rise for about 70 minutes...and then bake...but it only takes about 20-22 minutes to bake them....they turn out with a nice crust....when still hot I use a brush and paint the top of them with butter (it soaks and makes the crust softer).

I store them in a plastic bag in the freezer. These are great with a little sugar free peanut butter and jam!! The gluten flour gives that "chewy" texture similar to some bagels....(at least what I remember of a bagel...it's been a long time since I had a high carb one!!)

I had good luck with the bagel recipe...this one is just easy for me, as there's no "boiling", and the breadmachine does all the kneading.

#42   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 10:16

BF:
Default Thank you! :)

Thanks for that reply. I will be trying this recipe. Just as soon as I can find all the ingrediences here in Ottawa.