Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 00:31

Plan: CALP
Stats: 340/335/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Newbie- and a Cheater already!

I've been on CALP for 19 days now, and have been just so perfect- until tonight. I just HAD to have popcorn and a NuttyBar. Not just one or the other- but BOTH! I feel so mad at myself. My hubbie is LCing with me, and get this... I wait until he's in bed to do the bad deed. It was a premeditated cheat! Now I'm just beating myself up, knowing that I'm gonna have to fess up in the morning. I've let myself down, but I also feel like I've let him down too since we're each other support system. I know it's not like it was a major crime I commited, but why did I have to blow all of my hard work?! I know my sweet hubbie will just smile and say that it's ok, and tomorrow's another day...but I still hate being the 1st one that fell off the wagon. Grrrrrr..... I feel so weak!

Lyndsey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 07:26

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

you didn't blow your hard work! You're converting to a different and permanent way of eating. If once every couple months, you eat an extra rewards meal, it is not the end of the world--this too can be part of a healthy permanent way of eating. In fact, the popcorn wasn't all that evil...but that candy bar!

Forgive yourself immediately. Once the clamor of emotions is quiet, you can then become a scientist, examining why the lapse occured and coming up with strategies for the next time. You then quietly and rationally ask yourself the important questions: how did you get access to candy? (Aren't you the one who shops? ) What is the appeal of 'sneak eating' to you--are you re-creating some ages old fight you used to have with a parent about food? Might it be better for you to switch from CALP to Atkins/PP to help get rid of potential trigger foods during the rewards meal? and so on.

Every lapse becomes then not an opportunity for self-flagellation, but for research, for fine-tuning your permanent way of eating. This WOE is a gift to yourself, leading you to a healthier and more active life. Be gentle with yourself, persevere, and keep your eyes focused both on today and down the road at a year from now, when this one little "oops" won't matter much in the larger picture.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 18:52

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thank you for those wonderful words of wisdom, Razzle!! I'm sure you've helped many...including me!!

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 23:08

Plan: CALP
Stats: 340/335/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks Razzle- you helped me see my 1st cheat in a new light! I'm feeling much better today, being back on track. Plus I helped my chances of beating a repeat cheat attack, by getting rid of the "evil" carbs that temp me. (Those Nutty Buddy Bars had no reason being in my cupboard in the first place!) I'm feeling my strength return! And I know I can do this- one day at a time!
Thanks again- it's so great to be encouraged by people that have been there!
Lyndsey
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

I started the LC poorly and alone as I went out of town on business. I thought I might fail and therefore should do it in private, and save the expense of saying to my wife I was finally ready to try something and then dumping. I even kept carbs from meals and free hotel sweets, lying there in case I hopped off the wagon. I could not have done more things wrong, besides throwing in the towel. I did not read of the cool luxury items I could flavor my meals with. I wrongly thought that milk was A OK, and had that with breakfast the first two days. I nibbled on one of the treats!

I came through that experience, resulting in more knowledge. In a sense, I found out that I really wanted to do the diet, and finished the week out of town with a new resolve and a knowledge that I could leave that junk alone. Arriving home to all my usual treats, I continued to polish my resolve.

Why tell you about it? Because this is a no-judging zone, and you have also probably battled through some of the same things. Atkins says this diet requires the least will power of all the approaches (as opposed to lowfat, controlled calorie). This does not mean no will power, and you have noticed how your own resolve has strengthened over time.

You really do have the strength to see it through.