Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-26-06, 23:54

Plan: gluten-free,atkins
Stats: 198/196/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I wish you good luck on getting your health back, that may have to come first before the weightloss will happen.

I kind of agree with you, but the docs I go to seem to like to tell me the weight loss will help me with health! Interesting, since when I was very thin I had a LOT of problems still!

Thanks for the good wishes, and the info about NancyLC. I know the sonogram tech said 'follicles,' I don't know enough at the moment to tell you if there's a difference between that and 'eggs.' I am sure there is, but I am trying to remember what I know. I am sure it's in one of my books!

My guess is that the 'strange black hairs' are also thick, or kind of coarse? That's something I don't have, and I think it's one reason things look so out of place, or make it harder on you. Does bleaching work? PCOS is a very strange thing. I think some people, there is no doubt they have it. Others might fall into a gray area.

I went to Borders this evening, and got a couple of sale books for my nieces and nephews. They had a 'buy 3 get one free' even on the clearance, so I got a nice low carb book, with recipes and pics! I like that it looks like there aren't a whole heck of ingredients in each one. And the book was $ 3.99 to start with!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Bleaching does work, not to be too gross, but they keep growing longer though so I just pluck them out. Maybe someday I can get hydrolysis, but I know it would gross out the technician.

$3.99 or less for a cookbook is awesome! I never used my cookbooks before lowcarb since I was constantly craving junkfood. I ate out all the time. Now I have 2 that I love.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 23:54

Plan: Neanderthin / Paleo
Stats: 230/222/185 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi,
Just to clarify; not everyone with PCOS has Cystic Ovaries. That's just one symptom of many that could indicate the syndrome. I have had both ovaries removed because of horrific cysts, but my sister, also with the syndrome, doesn't get the cysts.
Check out the book: "PCOS The Hidden Epidemic" by Endocrinologist Samuel Thatcher.
The name Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is one of the reasons it's so hard to get a diagnosis; it's a misnomer that most GP's use as a dagnostic tool.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 00:19

BF:
Default Nawchem

Hi,
I know I'm a newby to the board, but I am not to PCOS.
I've been dealing with it for years; far longer than the 7 I've been diagnosed.
First off; you may appear 'normal' on blood tests, but that doesn't mean your blood sugar and insulin levels are right. The averages they base these tests on are taken from an Insuin Resistant culture.
I'd been hyglycemic all my life, with all the symtoms but 'normal' blood test results.
One test that would give you a good idea of how your body handles sugar is a Glucose tolerence Test (GTT); they take a regular fasting glucose then feed you a pure sugar concoction and take your blood again after a 2 hour wait. Showing 'Normal' on fasting glucose, this was the only test that reflected trouble.

A difinitive diagnosis can only be given by an Endocrinologist; Hormone Dr.
Ask your Dr. for a referal.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 23:16

BF:
Progress:

Yes, I have had the 2 hour fasting test, and yes, my sugar was 'off.' Not horrible, but not really normal. And as a doctor said on the radio this weekend, you're already in trouble if you're sugar is in that range (the range I am in).

I hated that test. No matter what the results said, I felt terrible, probably worse than the results showed. I never felt normal again during the day.

Thanks for the info on insulin resistance.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 19:22

BF:

Hi there,

You sound a lot like me, except for the Southern European ancestry
I've had 3 surgeries to deal with PCOS issues, the last being a complete hysterectomy.

Another issue prevealent in PCOS is Endometriosis; a thick, overgrown endometrium. Exactly what you're dealing with. Probably the reason your cycles are so painful, too.

I've read that people with European ancestry are prone to PCOS, including those of Indian descent; basically anyone with caucasoid blood.

Yeah, the GTT was horrific. The best way to schedule the rest of that day is to sleep! And that's another indication your sugar ain't right!

http://www.pcosupport.org/living/nu...n/insulinre.php

It's great to be able to discuss this issue with people; there's so much controversy and misinformation, the more we talk the more we know.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks Pananii,
My blood sugar was hypo on the GTT test.

I was at the chiros office. The assistant is this energetic girl, that was an olympic runner. I envy all her energy. She told me she was in misery from her teen years on she went to all kinds of dr and finally was diagnosed as PCOS. I have an appointment with her dr at the end of the month. I'm excited about that.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 17:53

BF:

Hi Nawchem,

I'm glad you're seeing someone. This isn't something we should have to second guess our way around.

Urgh.... Energetic ex Olympic athlete. I hate her already
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 15:19

BF:
Progress:

I am another one who has seen a lot of doctors! I just went to one I wish I had seen years ago. I have had terrible problems with fatigue for years. I used to drink a ton of coffee, and when I gave that up, well, it just got to me! This is an alternative doctor, DO, and she measured a thryoid measurement that no one has one checked before, or has always told me is normal. She said alternative docs really like the number to be higher. My thyroid is underfunctioning. In addition, she says I have high levels of candida (which is also connected to women who have endo, not sure abot PCOS) and some red blood cell levels which might be connected to anemia. I think I've read that most PCOS is connected to thryoid issues. Anyway - now I have to cut out sugar, gluten etc for real (I have been working on it). I did this 6 years ago and lost 15 pounds or so in 6 weeks. I looked and felt better. But it's hard to go through the beginning phase again. Why do people crave sugar, when it's so bad for those people?! This is like breaking up with the same guy over and over again!

Last edited by NoMoreSug : Mon, Jun-12-06 at 15:29.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 14:21

BF:

Hi NoMoreSug,

It's great to hear when we finally get the care we deserve. This Dr. you're seeing sounds like she might know what she's doing She may be investigating if you have Wilson Syndrome:
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

Another thing we PCOS'ers usually have is Adrenal Exhaustion:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/endocri...alfatigue_2.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoadrenia
http://www.mercola.com/2000/aug/27/adrenals.htm
And for something a little different:
http://www.kitchendoctor.com/health...exhaustion.html
We have to fight to keep going, even though we aren't getting energy from the food we eat (IR), so what fuels us? Common sense tells me it's reasonable. And this may be what you're refering to when you mention PCOS affecting the Thyroid.

But, really, anything that affects our Endocrine system is bound to affect all of the glands, not just the Pancreas (insulin).

With your PCOS, are you one of the women that bleeds horrendously or doesn't have a period very often? Sorry, personal question, but very relevant in terms of your red cells and anemia. The Canadian method for measuring Ferous levels wants you between 10 & 140; around 90 being optimal. I was at 9. As well, if you don't shed the endometrium, it's bound to affect your levels.

Sugar and wheat. I hear ya, Grrlfrend! I love sugar. I do. But, like a ex boyfriend you know is bad for you, but still has a death grip on my heart; it's soooooo hard to let go!
And wheat... Bread... We, the human race, are probably all allergic to wheat. Biologically we aren't programmed to eat it. Wheat and dairy, both, we, as a species, don't have the enzymes to properly digest and get all the nutrients out of. So when we even get that dang whole grain stuff, that's supposed to be so healthy, we STILL can't get the good stuff out!
http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/...egumes-1a.shtml

Did you know that we, as humans, are the only species that drinks milk after weaning? Yeah, and we're the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of ANOTHER species? Weird, aren't we?

I gotta write a book
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 19:12

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info! No problem, yes, I do bleed heavily - very heavily at times. Yes, this doc does seem to know some things! But going without my beloved sugar - well, I miss them all! I was just thinking today - how can I have all these problems?! Let me run off to read your links, thanks

I either read or heard something on the radio about grains - that in the last 20 years or so, something was added to them that really is not good for humans.

Last edited by NoMoreSug : Wed, Jun-14-06 at 19:56.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 19:55

BF:

How can we NOT have all these problems?

We're eating poison (Refined carbs, pure sugar & chemicals),
the foods we do eat 'natural' are nothing compared to what we evolved on (more sugar less vit's & min's),
living with huge amounts of stress compared to our predecesors (Fight or flight on hyperdrive),
Toxic atmosphere (greenhouse affect, poisonous emissions from factory after factory);
The fact that the human race has survived the last 150 years is a testament to our species strength and adaptability.

When we don't eat properly our body doesn't have fuel to run properly.
When one system breaks down all other systems are affected.
I liken it to a car; when the valves get gunked up the car may continue to move, but not at optimum performance or speed. Then, eventually, all the other systems break down because they've been carrying the load; literally and figuratively.

Let me know what you think of the other sites; if you get anything out of them
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-06, 21:30

BF:
Progress:

Thanks! Those recommendations are great....I like that kitchen doctor! How intelligent and what a great writer...

I am just amazed at how many docs pooh-poohed my symptoms. Argh. Or they felt some sympathy, but didn't know what to do!

This is interesting

http://www.coconutdiet.com/thyroid_health.htm
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: General/Atkins
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have PCOS and my ovaries are covered in cysts/fibroids. I also have the insulin resistance to go with it. I get blood testing and my testosterone is fine, my androgen is what is high. The Dr said this is what elevates in PCOS patients and that is what causes the hair growth.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: General/Atkins
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

If I could have one wish in the world. I wouldn't even wish for loads of money, I would wish to get rid of this hair!!! It's horrible to be a girl with hair and the time it takes to get rid of it. It makes you so self concious.