Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 19:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default LC Dinner at the Fish House, Vancouver July 30th - Low-Carb Riviera!

The Fish House in Stanley Park Presents

The Lap of Luxury!
Low-carb eating for health and well being

The Fish House in Stanley Park's Executive chef Karen Barnaby is an accomplished low-carber, an accomplished teacher and chef who enjoys sharing her passion for good food.

Our low-carb Dinner Series will introduce you first-hand to the delicious way of eating that is part of a low-carb way of life. Each four-course dinner is paired with wine selected by Wine Director Barbara Philip. A selection of recipes will be available!

Low-Carb Riviera!

Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Soupe au Pistou
Chilled summer vegetable soup with pesto
Cinzano Rosso

Salade de Fromage aux Chevres Chaud
Warm goat's cheese salad with tender lettuce
Manuel Sancho- Montmarcal Reserva Brut Rosado

Tuna Nicoise
Grilled fresh tuna, green beans, tomato and egg
Tavel Les Lauzeraires- Les Vignerons de Tavel

Cassata Riviera
Almond and ricotta cake with fresh berries
Quinta Do infantado

$60.00 per person
Includes wines paired with each course
Excluding Tax and gratuity

FOR RESERVATIONS & DETAILS CALL 604-681-7275
SEATING IS LIMITED
Due to the success of our last event be sure to book early!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 00:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why Wa'il! You must be on the mailing list. Thanks for posting it.

If anyone is interested in coming, please book early. The last dinner was a huge success and we actually had to turn people away.

This dinner will have reserved seating. All groups will be seated at their own tables instead of the banquet seating used in the past dinners.

I hope most of you LC Vanouverites can make it!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 19:14
Forum Founder

Oops, I just called to reserve and they don't have the list ready yet

It's great they took our emails for notification.

For those who missed last dinner, if you fill their forms, you get a plastic card for 10% discount (any time, not just LC dinners) and email notification before they advertise on the papers, so you'd get a priority reservation chance.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hmmm,

I filled in the form but I can't remember if I actually gave it to someone. Too much vino perhaps?

The menu sounds delicious. I can hardly wait.

Wa'il, you and I are a select club of 2: We've been to all the LC FH dinners. I hope you won't be in the process of moving to Ottawa that day, 'cause then I'd be very lonely in the club all by myself
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 22:23
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Wa'il, you and I are a select club of 2: We've been to all the LC FH dinners. I hope you won't be in the process of moving to Ottawa that day, 'cause then I'd be very lonely in the club all by myself

Now that you mentioned it It will depend on weather 1) I decide to go, and 2) If I'm driving or flying. If Idrive, I will have to cancel since I need a few days to drive over there, if I fly, I should be able to make it.

But If I can't make it, I'll announce a coffee get together, we haven't done those in eons! Also, there's a rumour we're having a potluck in mid-July at an executive chef's newly refilled BBQ

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 22:51

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian

But If I can't make it, I'll announce a coffee get together, we haven't done those in eons! Also, there's a rumour we're having a potluck in mid-July at an executive chef's newly refilled BBQ

Wa'il

Coffee? The only one you & I were both going to attend was my very first face-to-face in May 2001. You were sick but Rachel & I had coffee. Our group evolved into food, food, food, not just coffee, LOL.

Mid July BBQ? I trust you have a very reliable source
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:59
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Count me in

I just called in and made my reservation. It will just be me this time.

Colin
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Damn, I seem to have been dropped off the mailing list... again!

grumble, grumble
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 00:10

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Question Where's the BEEF!!

The menu sounds delicious but I thought we are having beef. Or was I on a Cheesecake delusion(sp?) and heard wrong?? Please clarify.

I will call them tomorrow.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 15:17
Forum Founder

BF:

There are still a few seats left for any Vancouverites who are interested in attending.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Thumbs up Simply Great

Another enjoyable evening! There was a harmony of elements that made it seem like the universe was in partnership with Karen on this one.

The evening started with a beautiful white wine on the deck, overlooking the tennis courts. The sun was playing tag with a few clouds, making the evening pleasantly cool. Perfect for sipping wine and mingling with people from all over. There is nothing better than having an interesting conversation on a veranda with a beautiful glass in hand and watching others sweat below. It seems so civilized. Oh, the food?

Karen likes to start things off with a punch it seems. The chilled vegetable soup was unexpected. It had a depth and earthiness that quickly settled me in my place. I was expecting light and airy and was secretly wondering if the white wine was going to have a fight on its hands. The beefiness of the stock simply changed the direction of the evening, avoiding any clash. And the Cinzano Rosso that went with the dish added a sweet herbal note that completed the spectrum of taste.

The Salad continued the earthy notes with the warm Chevres coating the mouth like a soft blanket. This is comfort food and you could see the table relaxing. The greens with a very light balsamic dressing served to keep the cheese from being too overwhelming. They held it in check, but didn't detract. The Blanc de Noir worked a cleansing magic on the palate, making each bite a new experience. Here is a good tip to bring home!

Recent experience made me a bit nervous about the upcoming entree. Few things are worse than overdone tuna. (I should know, I served some to guests recently and had to throw it out and cook something else) But, when I order Grilled Tuna, I don't want to be presented with seared shashimi and an attitide from the waiter that says " Just try to send this back, buster!".

I needn't have worried. The Tuna was perfect, and a quick glance around the table showed that everyone else had the same experience. The herb crust caught me off guard. I expected the pungency of the garlic, but the mint put a refreshing note to the dish. ( At first I thought it was basil.) It was this that began an intriguing dance of elements that was carried on by the accompaning salad. Earth, sea and sky were evident in the play of taste and texture. (Was there a drop of truffle oil in there, or was that my mind running off in creative directions?) The wine played a supportive role and didn't try to bring in anything that would detract from the plate. The rose kept things light , but also kept a note of heartiness to the experience.

Nature was dancing in step with the dinner and a refreshing shower (the only kind we have in Vancouver) came along as dessert was presented. Nuts, cheese, berries and chocolate; worked into a piece of art. What else could you ask for? Well how about a glass of port with a fresh breeze drifting in from the veranda and pleasant conversation with like-minded friends? Oh so civilized!

We missed you Wa'il.

Colin
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 09:51
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks for describing the menu so eloquently Colin. It has been my favourite so far, probably because my food muse lives somewhere around Mediterranean.

'Twas a wonderful night indeed. What you didn't see is how much fun Wayne - sous-chef - and Wanda - #1 apprentice - and moi had in preparing, cooking and presenting the food. We love doing the low-carb dinners because it gives us a chance to do something entirely different from the norm.

Thanks to everyone who made it possible by attending!

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 00:20

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I am wondering if you are planning another one of these dinners before Christmas...I am from Victoria, but would like to come over to Van to do some shopping...and thought if yall were planning another dinner I could work my schedual around it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 17:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Yes!

There is one planned for October 2nd with James Barber, the Urban Peasant. He planned the menu but it isn't finalized yet, so I haven't posted anything about it.

James will be at the dinner, so if anyone is a fan, you'll be able to meet him.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 03:00

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Thankyou for replying Karen...I will see if I can get there. It shouldn't be a problem. I am sure I will have to bring my dh too...He loves the cooking channel, and all you fabulous chefs!!!!