Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 16:15

Plan: TSP
Stats: 155/155/105
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Just read TSP and have some ?'s

Hi everyone! I just finished TSP and need to ask some initial questions. I'm sure there will be others down the road. I read the meal plans and every one has eggs. I do not like eggs by themselves (omelettes, scrambled, egg salad) etc. I don't mind it in something like a quiche. What are some ideas for breakfast besides eggs? I don't want to get burned out quickly on the same thing day after day. Also, it seems like so much food in a day. How will I ever eat that much?! I don't have a lot of time in the morning before work to eat a huge meal and I can't have that would be too messy or hard to eat for snacks when using a computer and talking on the phone all day. I have never been one to eat a lot and use to skipping meals. The only other thing I do not like besides eggs is seafood. I love veggies so that's a point in my favor! Are there meal plans listed here on the site to view at all? I feel that will help me get started. I would love to hear any advice/tips you would have for a newbie! TIA!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 19:09

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well first off...here are some breakfast ideas for you...and portable to bring to work (I can't eat first thing in the morning usually either):

- Whole yogurt w/ fruit
- Oatmeal w/ butter and cream
- Ricotta cheese w/ fruit
- Creamed cottage cheese w/ fruit
- Pre-made crustless quiche
- Why limit yourself to breakfast foods?
- Protein shake (soy or whey protein powder - check carbs!) w/ any of the dairy products listed above, some water, ice and fruit or if you don't want protein powder, some peanut butter

It does seem like a lot of food but you don't want to hurt your metabolism by undereating! 10-12x body weight in calories is a standard minimum.

As for meal plans...check out member journals (like chewie1012 or debpenny) to see what they are eating. I'd send you to mine but I don't strictly SP anymore.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 09:46

BF:

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for responding to my questions. I used to LOVE cottage cheese and pineapple. Would that be enough to eat for breakfast everyday or would I need to add something else to it to be total TSP? I like oatmeal and quiche so that would be another great option for me but again do I need to add anything else to it? According to the chart in the book, I need 15 carbs at each meal and my snack should be 7 1/2 to 15. Thanks for all your help and patience with all my questions! Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 06:46

BF:

You may want to find a way to add in some kind of vegetable with any of those b-fast ideas...quiche is easy of course - then you'd be totally TSP. Check the quantities on the pineapple...it's very high in sugar and I doubt you can have very much. Other fruits will give you much more quantity for your 15g...just a thought!

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:31

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

You will still have to watch the carbs with the cottage cheese and fruit because they both have carbs in them, the cottage cheese is not a strictly protein. I find with the WOE you really need to focus on the protein and fats while you cut down on carbs, and don't worry so much about how much to eat, don't over eat stop when you are satisfied and eat when you feel hungy. Eating fats and Proteins you fill up quickly and you don't eat as much as you think you will, particularily after the first week or so.
You could use other cheeses for lunch too. There is a recipe for a mock danish that is good that you can find browsing through the recipe area. It uses eggs and cream cheese.
I've seen other people with the same concern as you about the eggs, and many of them eat left over meats from the night before, there is really no reason why you can't do that either.
Good Luck,
Tanya
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:36

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

One other note, Pineapple is a good choice because it has a low glycemic index. It is better to use than raisins or some other fruits like banana's.
Tanya
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 15:39

BF:

Thanks Lisa and Tanya! I meant to start yesterday but didn't get to the store this past weekend and haven't got there today. I have cut out the caffeine and been drinking water in the meantime. Thanks again!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 19:02

BF:

Anytime!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 23:04

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Actually, Debra, I don't post what I eat very much. However, a really good place to see what someone is eating on TSP is TheBetty's journal, if she'll post on this thread, you'll have a quick link to it. She posts her menus almost every day.

Oh, and I like eggs for breakfast as long as they are not runny or boiled. My current breakfast is homemade chorizo sausage and eggs with onions and cooked in lots of butter. Yum!

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 12:30

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

oooh could I have your recipe for chorizo sausages ? I've been meaning to start making my own because I love them but it's near impossible to find good ones with no crap added. I even have the electric grinder and tube arrangement needed to make real sausages.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 17:27

BF:

Angeline, I'll post it in the recipes section tonight. I don't make mine into real sausages, but that would be fun.

I have an antique hand-crank meat grinder that I found for $15 at a small shop in Crescent City while I was on vacation. It took me about an hour to grind up my 10-pound pork shoulder (wound up being about 6.5 pounds of meat) for my latest batch of chorizo, but it was worth it. Before I was using my food processor and getting minced meat. Grinding gives a much better texture. I froze most of it.

;-Deb
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 20:12

BF:

I've posted the chorizo, Angeline. I hope you enjoy it.

;-Deb
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 21:06

BF:

I forgot to say, I put it in breakfast foods.

;-Deb
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 06:07
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 153/141.5/135
BF:22
Progress: 64%
Default Pineapple?

The list I have puts pineapple on the "don't eat it" list. Here's a copy of the list. I'd be interested to know what everyone else knows about pineapple.

Fruit
apple 38
apricot, canned 64
apricot, dried 30
apricot jam 55
banana 62
banana, unripe 30
cantaloupe 65
cherries 22
dates, dried 103
fruit cocktail 55
grapefruit 25
grapes 43
kiwi 52
mango 55
orange 43
papaya 58
peach 42
pear 36
pineapple 66
plum 24
raisins 64
strawberries 32
strawberry jam 51
watermelon 72
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 09:02

Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

In TSP (the Schwarzbein Principle--etc) pg 266-268 under "Fruit/ all fruits are raw, except when noted. Each of the following real carbohydrate selections contains 15 grams of carbohydrate." pineapple is listed in the serving size of 3/4 cups

In the 'Complete Book of Food Counts' by Corinne T. Netzer 3/4 cup(3 oz) of fresh pineapple is listed as having 7 carbs and 2 slices of Dole brand 21 carbs .

In TSP Dr. S' idea (at least my take on it --is to get control of appetite by giving our bodies their nutritional needs, eliminating the harmful) , hopefully getting to a point where this is a natural lifestyle, and not obsessing over food--I am not at that point yet --obviously Anyway on TSP a serving of pineapple is allowable.

IMO and experience keeping an eye on the glycemic levels of food is helpful. I include some of the higher glycemic items in my weekly diet(not daily) in the portions suggested in TSP. Variety can be helpful in many ways.