Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:10

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hashimoto and SP

Hi, I know there is a Thyroid forum, but since I want to eat balanced, ala SP, I thought i would ask my questions here. I have lurked here for a while, and am impressed with everyone's vast knowledge of EVERYTHING! So, I need some advice.
I was dxed hyperthyroid in august of last year. I started on tapazole, and felt fine. I never felt hyper before, but I didn't argue with bloodwork.
I maintained my weight by eating lc(ish) until about Jan of this year, when my dose was increased. I put 10 pounds on in the month of Jan. In these past 7 months, I have not been able to lose a pound! Despite exercise, and a bout of induction, then higher carb, lower fat. No exercise or probably over training, to no avail! I have been opn a lower dose for a month now, and nope nothing moved!
Anyways, I saw an endo yesterday, and he finally said the words "Hashimoto" My original dx never said anything! BUT, at least my endo is willing to test for more than usual thyroid labs: He wants, AM cortisol, Estradiol, FSH, and LH. I think I know what these things are, but how do they translate toward weight loss?
Has any Hashi poeple had success with SP?
ANY advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:36
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

I was diagnosed with Hashi's 2 years ago--I'm on Armour thyroid 180/day. In April of '99 I started Atkins plan at 155 lbs (5'3.5"). Would you believe, 4 years later, I am STILL at 154-155??? And this is all while following the plan to the letter. Gave up ALL diet soda, caffeine, all processed meats, I've even cut down to 1 pkt of Splenda/day in my Teccino (fake coffee!), or decaf. I've even tried Atkins with low cal/low fat to no avail. So last Friday I decided to try the Schwarzbein plan (someone on another board suggested it).....well, as of today I am 2.5 lbs more than when I started! Now I don't know what to do--it is really frustrating so I know just where you are coming from. Good luck with your endo appt and bloodwork.

Carol
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:42
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Please stay with the SP for a while. She says you may gain at first while healing. Give it at least 3 months before you try something else. It's a very healthy balanced plan.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:50
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Carol:

It is likely that you gained water weight from increasing your carbs quickly. Dr. S. suggests increasing 5 grams/meal/week when coming off a LC plan.

It's also likely that you can gain weight if your adrenals are burned out. That's the frustrating possibility of this healing plan, that it may get worse before it gets better. If you haven't read SPII, she goes into great detail about it. Initially I gained weight too so I decreased my saturated fat intake a bit (explained in the sticky above). I think part of the problem was that I was still following Atkins' high fat instead of moderate fat.

I feel for your frustration. Hang in there!

Wanda

---edit, sorry I repeated some of this - Lizzy beat me to the "enter" button

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 11:53.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:15
Registered Member

Thank you Ladies.....you see, I actually got up to 164 at the time I was diagnosed with Hashi's (nothing had changed in my eating plan--just gained 9 lbs for no apparent reason). It took me nearly 3 years to get down to 155 again (where I started)--I used the Fat Flush plan inbetween Atkins and that seemed to jump start things a little. It was a long slow process. So, you can probably understand why I am so freaked out about this gain now....if I hit the 157 mark, I will most likely be sufficiently spooked and go back to Atkins Induction (or maybe even the Fat Fast)--as I will be totally freaked. It is so difficult to believe that I cannot lose anything even though I gave up all white flour, sugar etc... 4 years ago-- isn't that really strange?

Carol
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:43
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Carol:

Quote:
It is so difficult to believe that I cannot lose anything even though I gave up all white flour, sugar etc... 4 years ago-- isn't that really strange?

Not at all strange! When your major hormones are out of balance, it's next to impossible to lose weight. There are lots of stories like yours on the SP forum.

I can certainly understand why you are so freaked out. It really sucks!

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:53
Registered Member

I'm wondering...have any of you been on Atkins prior to Schwarzbeining? And if so, did you gain lbs switching over?
Thankyou!
Carol
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 17:55

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

#1 Most petite ladies seem to have this experience with Atkins, especially the closer to goal you are. I think this is because of excess calories - if you're not using fitday, it's easy to over do it as a shorty (I'm 5'1", so I know!)

Ok, I can't get #2 now - gotta leave for dinner!
ARg!
More later - glad to meet you!
Jinx
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Just for the record....I read 'Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat?' about 2 months ago. I did the recommended lowcal diet for 4 weeks and only lost 1 lb! (and that didn't even stay off)-for 1 day I weighed 152! LOL!

Carol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:29
Registered Member

Plan: shwarzbein II
Stats: 174/???/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Carol,

I FEEL your pain -- I had been doing Atkins since January and was loosing and gaining the same 6lbs over and over again. I found SPI at first and then (thank god) SPII and realized that my Adrenal glands are burned-out. I started the healing program the first week of july and because I switched from atkins (20 g carbs) to SPII (60-90 g carbs) I GAINED about 8lbs the first week and was absolutely EXHAUSTED. In the past week I have gained a lot of my energy back and have lost a few of the 'gained' lbs... HANG IN THERE ... try not to get too freaked out if you gain, just remember that you are HEALING your body -- and by gaining weight and healing the hormones you will ultimately LOOSE all the excess fat. It is a process -- but I feel like it will be worth it once it's over.
I definetly reccomend getting the book -- I've seen it on ebay fairly cheap --- it will make everything so much easier for you.
Hang in there -- and remember, there is all kinds of GREAT support and Info. on this site!!

Good luck
cristin
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:14
Registered Member

Cristin, thanks so much for telling me your story--wow! 8 lbs? I've got to give you credit for having the guts to stick with the program--I don't know if I can handle it if I gain another lb!! I really drank a ton of water today--hoping to flush things out--hoping tomorrow at least the weight stabilizes to give me the incentive to stick with this plan...

Carol
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

Carol, which plan are you following? I edited my original post so I don't know if you saw it. I also gained after switching from Atkins. Then I reduced my saturated fat intake a bit and the weight started coming off. I think it was harder adjusting from a high fat diet to a moderate fat diet.

Admittedly, I don't have thyroid problems so I don't know if this is of any help.

Good luck!!!!

Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Wanda, I have been on Atkins for the past 4+ years (with a bout or 2 of Fat Flush Plan thrown in!). Someone from the other board I've been on sent me a copy of an article in a magazine featuring Schwarzbein plan along with a 4 day menu. It looked interesting so I started it last Friday (7/25). As I said, I am carefully monitoring the scale--I cannot afford to gain and not be able to lose again. I am actually not even eating the recommended amounts of food on the plan (I find I am just not that hungry). So, why I've gained 2 lbs is a mystery to me. I haven't upped my fats any either.

Carol
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:30

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:

HI Carol

Like the others have said, if you have burned out adrenals, that could be one reason for the gain. I that is the case, as hard as it sounds, once your adrenals heal, the weight should come back off. I so highly recommend the books as the others have. DocS explains all this soooooooo well. She tells you the WHY of things, which I really really like. It really helps to see what to expect and why it will probably happen this way or that. Our hormones play such an enormous role in our metabolisms.

I have different metabolic issues than you, but I sure know the frustration of wanting one thing to happen and having another happen -- ARG. Good luck to ya!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:39
Registered Member

Thank you Cicely- This morning I weighed in at 155.8 (Bodyfat on the Tanita, said 19.9%). I'm still not sure about the accuracy of the bodyfat measurement on that scale. Maybe I will put up a post for anyone else who uses the Tanita and see what they think. Anyway, as of today, I am sticking with it....

Carol