Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 20:07

Plan: atkins, sommersize, schwarzbein
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Lab Results....questions?

Colesteral came back slightly above normal, estrogen slightly low (110), Dr sez sugar levels are normal, and thyroid tests show normal.
I notice the Cortisol result is 23.3....isn't this high? The dr sez normal, but in my small town, drs don't keep up on things. My main problem is a preggo looking belly.
Also, can anyone tell me what other levels to look for, in trying to figure out if I have andrenal fatigue, etc?
She is referring me to an endo, because of something about "too much blood"...anyone have a clue what that's all about?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 21:10

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Re: cortisol - on my lab the "normal" range for free cortisol (not a saliva test) was 20 - 90, so 23.3 would be pretty darn low. Mine was 28 and my endo said that was really low. Really low is NOT good, either.

I've always had the "preggy looking belly" so I can sympathize. The endo should be able to give you better info on your adrenals.

Found this link, looks promising...

http://www.rxforwellness.com/learni...ellness_1.shtml

Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 21:48

BF:

Thanks so much Ms Jinx ! I took that quiz, and scored 28...so possibly andrenal problem!
And as for the cortisol results...geez...now I'm really confused!
On my blood test pages, it lists these guides as "normal":
AM test = 4.0 to 22.0
PM test = 3.0 to 17.0
Wonder why your guides show 20-90 being normal? Guess we all need good drs to dicipher all these tests! Wish it wasn't so difficult!~ I feel like I'm talking to a wall when I talk to these drs..they have no idea about cortisol, natural HRT, etc. If I had the $$, I'd be seeing Dr Schwarzbein personally & quit playing games with local drs..haha.
I remember reading your post about your low cortisol...have you had any luck with that?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 00:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

The preggo belly is what she calls the insulin meter. In other words you are insulin resistant or on your way to becoming IR.

At least you have numbers. I got a slip of paper in the mail that said all my tests came back normal, what does that mean, I want numbers. I had to call the nurse at get some numbers.

Pianobeiner
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 06:00
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cadillac:

I'm a bit confused b/c looking at your numbers, it looks like you are outside the normal range into the "Cushing's Disease" range, which would certainly explain the belly. At least you'll be seeing an Endo. You can have him give you a second opinion. Just don't bring up adrenal fatigue or you'll lose all credibility and possibly end up with a referral to a psychiatrist.

I read somewhere that some labs can have different reference points, but don't quote me on it. Just go by what it says on your lab paper. Does it list your test value under the "abnormal result" column?

Suzyq1958 is a lab tech. Maybe she can offer some better information than I can.

Good luck,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jun-20-03 at 06:07.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 06:59

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wcollier
[B]I'm a bit confused b/c looking at your numbers, it looks like you are outside the normal range into the "Cushing's Disease" range, which would certainly explain the belly. At least you'll be seeing an Endo. [B]

This is probably exactly why she's being sent to an endo?

[QUOTE][B]
You can have him give you a second opinion. Just don't bring up adrenal fatigue or you'll lose all credibility and possibly end up with a referral to a psychiatrist. [B]

"HIM"? My endo was a female, thank you very much! Amen to that not bringing up "adrenal fatigue"- I was seriously referred to a psychiatrist! And if it makes you feel any better, Dr. S. is no longer taking patients - one of her nurses told me that in an email.

Your tests were just different from mine and OBVIOUSLY high. Don't be confused! I hope everything turns out ok. You're being referred and that's a good thing. I always ask for a copy of the tests - looks like you do too. Always best.

Take care,
JInx
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 07:16

BF:

Wow..just read the symptoms of Cushings, and sure enough they fit! But this dr told me the cortisol test was NORMAL (it wasn't until I came home & read the paperwork that I noticed it was high)...it wasn't "flagged" by the lab either.
Believe it or not, this dr had a copy of my labwork READY for me..I didn't even have to ASK, let alone beg or plead...way to go dr!
This is dr #2, as my first dr just told me it was old age & wouldn't run any levels! THIS new dr referred me to the endo because of hormonal imbalance. Long story...but 2 FSH tests say I'm NOT in menopause, yet I haven't had a period in 1-1/2 yrs. I'm on progestin only birth control pill, so my estrogen is low, progesterone normal, and testosterone is HIGH (probably because dr #1 prescribed me testosterone cream, without checking level, when I complained about loss of sex drive!!).
AND...something about having too much blood??? That's the other reason she wants me to see the endo.
THANK GOODNESS you all warned me not to mention andrenal fatigue!!!! Sure don't need depression meds adding to my problems!
Thanks so much everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 10:28

Default Like I Say - WE LOVE PILLS!!

If I took all the meds, especially antidepressants, that I have been prescribed I would be a REAL mess! (By the way, I did take a couple different kinds years ago so I can say that with authority!) I can take their prescriptions in my hand and throw then them in trash just like they tend do with my 'homeopathic mumbo jumbo' questions! They also ALWAYS want to put you on birthcontrol pills - geez are they getting a commission??

It is amazing to hear the statistics of women put on antidepressants. It is really epidemic. In studies regarding this issue, women, with the EXACT same complaints as men, are FAR FAR FAR more likely to be automatically put on antidepressants. It's just our century's version of the "hysteria" of women...

Anyway, I would definitely take your lab results with you and point them out to the endo and ask, "HUH??? Isn't this abnormally high according to the specified range and if not, then WHY not?" I always have to write down all my questions up front or I forget because I'm so nervous trying to remember what NOT to say ("adrenal fatigue," for instance! ).

Since the testosterone cream is topical, other physical signs would develop more slowly if it were the culprit. You can pm me if you want the details.

BTW, I do have a great Dr. now. He's a sports medicine guy that is never afraid to say, "hmmm, don't know - let me refer you." He's also been known to call his Dr. friends, do research on the net and call me at home - now that's a good dr.!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 07:34
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
It's just our century's version of the "hysteria" of women...

LOL Jinxy, don't we have Freud to thank for that?

Quote:
"HIM"? My endo was a female, thank you very much!

LOL, sorry Jinxy, I was actually thinking of going back to correct it afterwards, but I was seriously rushed. You caught me.

I just went to my holistic MD yesterday and left feeling so blessed to have found him. Anyway, he was telling me that labs keep adjusting the normal reference ranges of lab tests b/c as the population gets sicker, they have to narrow the limits of "unhealthy". Frightening, huh?

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 135/128/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%
Lightbulb

I am a laboratory medical technologist. Just for FYI- there are several methodologies for many laboratory tests. Some tests such as glucose and cholesterol are fairly standardized, and thus have similar normal values. However this is not necessarily true for many other tests. The normal values (range) are dependent upon the methodolgy used. Therefore, you can't really compare your test values with others' values because the lab methodologies and their normal values can differ from lab to lab. If a result isn't flagged on your report, then it is within the normal range.

"too much blood" is officially referred to as polycythemia. There can be several different causes which is probably the reason for the referral to the endocrinologist.

HTH

Last edited by suzyq1958 : Sat, Jun-21-03 at 11:38.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 15:46

BF:
Default Thanks SuzyQ and question...

Thanks for clearing that up for us!
Just wondering...on my test results it lists the "normals" underneath the cortisol result.
My result was 23.3
The normals say: AM (which I took) 4.0-22.0
PM 3.0-17.0
So I am one number above normal for this test, but it's not flagged....do you think this not enough difference, to be considered high, so they didn't flag it?
And thanks for providing a name to the blood issue...now I can research a little!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 19:10
Registered Member

Wink

I'm not sure why it didn't flag the result - because that would be considered elevated but not grossly or alarmingly high. I'm wondering if the lab performing the test didn't know at what time it was drawn - am corstisols are usually drawn about 8:00 am so if yours was drawn at a different time in the morning that could be a reason it wasn't flagged. Sometimes if the time isn't specified a flag won't appear. Or it could be a quirky thing specific to that lab (ie., beats me) - our lab reports (and the reference lab we use for tests such as cortisols) always flag abnormal results.

I agree with the other Beiners about asking the endocrinologist about the result (my guess is he/she may want to repeat it in the future - just my opinion). Just make sure and ask lots and lots of questions - and remember if you don't like him/her (see, I do read the other replies) ask for a referral to another one.

Last edited by suzyq1958 : Sat, Jun-21-03 at 19:12.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 19:18
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Suzyq1958:

You're a valuable resource to have around. Thanks for all the explanations.

Wanda
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

SuzyQ, it is so great to have you around. Do you mind answering a question for me. I had a test done for insulin resistance and it came out as a 6. The doctor said that was normal, but I still have many symptoms of being insulin resistant. What does 6 mean?

OH, and if you ever decide to start a journal (which we would all love you to start one) we promise to visit regularly with questions!!!!!

Pianobeiner
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 14:18
Registered Member

Piano,
In all honesty I'm not that familiar with tests that are specifically looking at insulin resistance. What test did they run to to check for insulin resistance? I also haven't read TSPII so I'm not sure what test(s) Dr. S suggests for checking for insulin resistance. Also, how does Dr. S define insulin resistance? This is a new term to me.