Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 09:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/195/145
BF:probably 100%!
Progress: 9%
Default Fibercon

I have a big problem with constipation on this diet and have tried the Psyllium Seed Husk both in powder and pilll form. I took a couple of FiberCon the other day and was VERY pleased. The label says it has Calcium polycarbophil 625 mg equivalent To 500 mg polycarbophil. I have no idea what that is but the "carbo" part worries me...on the other hand maybe it is the type that the fiber count cancels out the carbo part. Does anyone know? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I pasted calcium polycarbophil into my Google browser and came up with this site http://www.fruit-eze.com/

It's selling a high carb fruit based laxitive, but has lots of info on different laxative types. Quite interesting! I never knew there were so many types of laxatives.

There are warnings and contraindications there too that are probably beneficial to read.

Calcium polycarbophil falls into this category: Bulk Forming Fiber Laxatives

"Bulk-forming (fiber) laxatives pass through the body undigested. The fibers attract water to the intestine, absorb the water and swell to form a soft, bulky stool. The bulky mass stimulates the intestinal muscles and speeds the stool transit time through the colon. Bulk-forming (fiber) laxatives will not work without increased fluid intake and can complicate constipation. Both soluble and insoluble fibers are important in the formation of stools. Fiber laxatives that contain only one type of fiber can produce stools of poor quality. Attempts to correct the quality can promote laxative dependency."

Karen