Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/178/155
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Has anyone tried Thyroidinum?

I am COLD all of the time, and have put on 30 pounds that is VERY hard to lose, even doing Atkins....I lost five pounds in one month doing the Induction Phase. My body temp is in the 97.6 range consistently. I have been experiencing hair loss (due to extreme dryness and brittleness). My mother is hypo.

I bought Thyroid Support/Glandular (a Natural Homeopathic Medicine) by NATRA-BIO. I bought it a few moinths ago, and tried it. It actually seemed to cause me to GAIN ten pounds in one week. Has anyone tried it? I was contemplating trying it again, because I was not totally convinced it was the Thyroid Support/Glandular that caused me to gain the rapid weight. I seemed to plateau rather quickly on Atkins.....so I want to try something new to help what seems to be hypothyroidism.

(I recently bought coconut oil because I heard it helps with metabolism......was thinking of doing it with the Thyroid Support/Glandular. I guess either way, it won't hurt to take the coconut oil.)

Auntie Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:32
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I suggest you go to your doctor pronto. Hypo does seem to run in families and what you describe sounds like typical hypo. You need thyroid replacement. The coconut oil won't hurt you and might even help some, but it is no substitute for the hormone.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/178/155
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks for your reply. Based on the symptoms and the history, I am probably hypo -- and I am sure the doctor will confirm with tests. However, I prefer to try the natural approach first. I do not want to be on thyroid meds for the rest of life.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Thumbs up Good Advice!

I'd even go a step further and check out the thyroid website on about.com and educate yourself BEFORE going to the doctor. Unfortunately, doctors tend to "poo poo" the symptoms as a hypochondriac trying to lose weight. It took two doctors before I found one that was right for me. Once I got my thyroid under submission (which is relative...i've got hashimoto's) the weight started coming off. The first 2 months I lost 20 pounds (through Thanksgiving and CHristmas no less!) and now it's slowed to a trickle. BUT once the weight started coming off, my labs got even better. I've gone from a TSH of 6.0 to 2.1, my glucose and insulin are "behaving" and the doctor is duly impressed. I just recently started the coconut oil and I've found that I can actually go work out in the evenings after work now because I can drink a little coco/coconut oil concoction and have a little burst of energy that will see me through the 45 minutes I spend at the gym. That can only help too.

Good Luck!