Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-01-16, 17:21

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%
Default Why have my thyroid levels improved?

I just got my labs back and my thyroid is much better -- TSH, FT3 and FT4 all much closer to the middle range, when always before they were in the low (or high)-normal range -- at times much worse.

I have been on Armour for several years now, but I know some of have said the formula has changed over the years. But my dose has been the same -- not increased.

I do have a cold glass of water with a tablespoon of ACV and 5 drops of Lugol's iodine every day or two.

But the main difference is that I am on a ketogenic diet with some IF.

Why do you guys think my thyroid levels have improved? I'm not complaining, of course, just curious.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 08:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Could be lots of reasons. Thyroid can vary by time of day, even season. If you've got an autoimmune disease, they tend to attack in waves. A dying thyroid can be variable. Also, I do believe diet can influence a course of autoimmune disease, just ask Dr. Wahls. So anyway, congrats!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Congrats. And it COULD be so many reasons, as Nancy said. Even the weight loss you've had could affect it...

I've had, multiple times, TSH levels drawn two or three weeks apart, because the first one looked fishy, and the next was just fine.

BTW: just above the message window I'm posting in is an ad for a T2D drug. With that slime ball Doctor Phil smiling there. AND a safety notice that it may cause thyroid tumors.

But HEY! If you can keep eating carbage, and lower your BGs, it must be good for you, right?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm happy for you, hopefully symptoms are improved too!

I was reading on Dr. Rinds site about the interactions of adrenal and thyroid and estrogen hormones. He says less sugar and wheat and allergens in diet all help the adrenals, which helps the thyroid. So maybe your diet?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 04:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/164/128 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've been back on low carb for 14 days now and have seen a significant improvement in my hypothyroidism symptoms... like I have no symptoms at all anymore. The only change has been my diet, which leads me to believe that all the carbs were to blame. Obviously it's only been 14 days, so I'll continue to monitor, but still interesting!