Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 10:19
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
DH makes two different recommendations to PCO women - those who are the classic apple are guided toward strict low-carb (20-40g) with weight loss targets, whereas the lean PCO is moderate carb (60-90g) with no weight loss objectives - both whole food options, very limited to no processed foods (ie. commercial salad dressing okay, low-carb bake mix not okay).

The two approaches work toward resolving homonal imbalance - estrogen, testosterone, progresterone, etc. are all on the wrong ends of the normal range....but slightly different in the apple versus the lean PCO, with each type also having different personality types (generally) and body composition.

The apple has more body fat, distributed differently than the apple, so it drives hormones differently, thus the recommendation for lower carb and weight loss; the apple also tends to have a higher level of inflammation which also needs to be resolved as much as possible. The lean PCO tends (generally) not to be a specific "weight watcher" but more naturally active and can tolerate more carbohydrate....with a normal body fat level, weight loss is undesirable and modifying the chemistry via dietary influence is the goal.

While diet alone doesn't always work, and alone will likely not work for the majority, it works a lot more than previously thought (there are still docs out there who, when giving a dx of PCO tell their patients they won't have kids)....DH has been tracking his PCO ladies for years now and has a stack of charts where diet alone led to pregnancy, some within a few months of initiating the dietary changes (after years of trying to no avail). He's also noted that in those that do not become pregnant with diet alone, the level of intervention needed to achieve and sustain pregnancy is less than if no dietary change is made.....basically medical intervention can still assist in attaining pregnancy if no change is made, but it's more intensive intervention.

Thanks for the reply Regina. What if the patient is not an apple nor lean--what if she's a very large pear?

--Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 10:35

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
...most of our Vitamin C is produced in the adrenals...

We produce Vitamin C, I thought humans could not produce Vitamin C ? How does that work?

Patrick
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 10:44

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 420/275.6/189 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

We lack an enzyme (the last step in the process) to synthesize vitamin C, I believe I've read
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenny
We lack an enzyme (the last step in the process) to synthesize vitamin C, I believe I've read

Exactly. So I'm curious about the previous comment.

Patrick
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 11:03

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks to both Costello, Maile and Sagehill *giggling about the dog advice*

My cortisol is indeed probably low because I have been producing too much of it the past years. I was under tremendous stress then and only since a few months I have found something resembling peace.

So indeed no exercise for me, although I don't sit still in bed either all day long. I just do what needs to be done for work and for keeping my house clean.
Need to apply a hydrocortisol cream daily to first battle a nasty inflammation, switched to sea-salt, as well as take Vitamin C and melatonin and a few others more.
And I take it easy with my diet at the moment, since dieting too causes stress.

In three weeks I go to the doctor again to see the blood test results and discuss these and see what action I need to take. Of course I very much hope that a few results at least will have improved. I think I went to this doctor just in time. And she takes a lot of things seriously, believes not only in adrenal fatigue, but also in a low carb diet, and so on. If she weren't so horribly expensive, she would be perfect

At the moment, yes, I do my best to reduce stress. I think I may have that massage yet
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 12:10
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Thanks for the reply Regina. What if the patient is not an apple nor lean--what if she's a very large pear?

--Melissa

I'll ask DH tonight and post back tomorrow!
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 12:29

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Exactly. So I'm curious about the previous comment.

Patrick

sorry I mistyped and wasn't clear, I should have typed that we secrete most of our vitamin C from the adrenal glands and adrenals have the greatest concentration of vitamin C in the bodyHuman adrenal glands secrete vitamin C in response to adrenocorticotrophic hormone
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 13:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
sorry I mistyped and wasn't clear, I should have typed that we secrete most of our vitamin C from the adrenal glands and adrenals have the greatest concentration of vitamin C in the bodyHuman adrenal glands secrete vitamin C in response to adrenocorticotrophic hormone

From the introduction
Quote:
Humans, unlike most animals, cannot synthesize vitamin C and instead must obtain it from diet.

So I would say that the adrenals are a storage depot for vitamin C, but cannot manufacture it.

Patrick
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 13:28

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor

So I would say that the adrenals are a storage depot for vitamin C, but cannot manufacture it.

Patrick

which is why those with low cortisol should supplement vitamin C
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 14:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I wonder if that is why I have to eat potatoes every day or feel crappy? I have had symptoms of adrenal fatigue and potatoes have a very large amount of vitamin C.
  #161   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 14:57

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm not sure just how much vitamin C a cooked potato would retain.

One thing a potato is a good source of is potassium. And being tired is a symptom of low potassium.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 16:42

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I'm not sure just how much vitamin C a cooked potato would retain.

One thing a potato is a good source of is potassium. And being tired is a symptom of low potassium.

Yeah, I don't know but it was actually french fries that Fitday identified as having 28% of the DV for vitamin C. French fries! Those are often double cooked. Does heat destroy vitamin C?
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 17:50

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I believe it does.

Potassium seems like the better bet here.
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 18:05

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

How did we ever make it to 2010 ?
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-10, 20:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
How did we ever make it to 2010 ?

We only have to live about 20 years to reproduce and then it doesn't matter how long we live after that. So the human race could endure much worse still.

Patrick