Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:13

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

If you want to avoid fructose, do not look for Corn Sugar in stores, you will have a hard time finding one with a low amount of fructose. Instead look for dextrose (two molecules of glucose), some stores carry pure dextrose (usually coming from corn or rice).

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:15

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

THIS is the reason that I am so very angry about these evil jerks.

There ALREADY exists a specific NON-fructose commodity called 'Corn Sugar.'

AND those miserable corporate jerks in the High FRUCTOSE Corn Syrup industry are TOTALLY aware of the existence of REAL 'corn sugar' and that people who are intolerant to fructose must use it for a sweetener.

This is just preposterous.

ALSO, be aware that if an item states, "Corn Syrup Solids" that it, too, contains HIGH FRUCTOSE Corn Syrup.... I've read that there is NO corn syrup of any type in the USA which does NOT have high-fructose added to it.

It's just disgusting.

The HFCS lobby should be ASHAMED of themselves, they are EVIL, and this deceptive lie they want to pull simply proves it.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:17

BF:

The only pure dextrose I've ever seen in stores around here are dextrose lozenges for diabetics -- they are useless for sweetening foods.

Any BEER BREWING SUPPLY STORE has huge supplies of plain corn sugar, and it's entirely fructose FREE.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Corn Sugar is a form of naturally occuring dextrose, and can be ordered from Amazon.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...gar%22+dextrose

Corn sugar is not naturally occurring. It is refined from corn starch. And corn starch is not naturally occurring either since it is refined from corn itself. And considering that corn is genetically modified, it is not naturally occurring either.

Look, I'm just saying it ain't what you think it is.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 13:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

As interesting as this sidebar is, we've gotten way off on a tangent to the intent of the original post.

Have some of us gone beyond the point of no return? I think we all agree that low-carb eating plans are the most healthful, but at some point should people simply give up on the weight-loss aspect of it all?
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 14:09

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Has anyone here, especially someone who has been stuck for a while, tried cutting out artificial sweeteners? I'm thinking maybe all the sweetened coffee and tea I drink all day keeps my insulin levels up.

After being stuck at 165-175 for years on low carb/VLC (after losing 50lbs) I removed all taste of sweet from my diet and all plant carbs and lost the last 40lbs in less than 9 months.

I then ate fatty meat and drank water and coffee with HWC and the weight fell off effortlessly. I have pretty much maintained that for a year now.

My specific metabolism at this point does not allow me any plant carbs at all, not without cravings, bloat, irritability and weight gain.

Good thing I love eating this way, because this is what I do

PS: I am 45.5 years old and have lost 80+lbs and at my lowest weight since I was 20 years old.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 14:59

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I think we all agree that low-carb eating plans are the most healthful, but at some point should people simply give up on the weight-loss aspect of it all?

There are a few who seem to find a way to break those incredibly long stalls. They seem to hit upon something that works for them. It seems to me, though, that there are more of us who never hit upon the trick that will do it for us.

I personally have tried many of the tricks others here have mentioned. Some do nothing. Some make me gain a few pounds. Each time I gain a few pounds I find that I can't lose that few pounds. For a while I was maintaining at 208, then 214, now 220. It's discouraged me from trying out other people's tricks. I'm afraid if I try another trick I'll end up "maintaining" at 226!

As to whether anyone should give up, I think that's a personal question. I still hope to lose, but for my sanity - at least for the time being - I have to stop actively trying. I feel like I've put my life on hold "until I've lost some more weight." A few days ago I had a vision of myself - literally a vision - dead in my coffin 20 or so years hence, still fat and having wasted the intervening years waiting to be thin.

I'm convinced the problem is hormonal. And I believe if I can hit the right button, I'll lose. So I intend to keep researching hormones and making changes that I hope will make me healthier.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 15:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

We have not had this come up so far in this thread, but I wonder how different people feel depending on when they were last thin and when they reeached the point of "normal adult weight". I reached the weight that should be my goal weight (ca. 130) in 6th grade. I have been overweight since I was about 4. Do I have illusions about reversing a situation I have been in almost since birth? If I had gained the weight due to Twinkies and bad habits, or depression or health issues, I would have a very different attitude. I have always been reasonably healthy at this weight, getting fat was not the signal that I was descending into ill health as it is for some - it was just how I always was. I never binge ate or sneaked food; I just always ate like everyone else. I weigh what I weighed in high school right now. I guess I am not sure there is anything really to "reverse", KWIM? Maybe it's just my reality and not everyone is meant to be thin.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Corn sugar is not naturally occurring. It is refined from corn starch. And corn starch is not naturally occurring either since it is refined from corn itself. And considering that corn is genetically modified, it is not naturally occurring either.

Look, I'm just saying it ain't what you think it is.

Thanks for the clarification of what you meant; however, while honey is "natural" and very HIGH fructose, I'll stick with the corn sugar -- which really, once one eliminates almost all sugar from the diet, the craving for sweetness slowly vanishes.

But thanks.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:04

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Maybe it's just my reality and not everyone is meant to be thin.

BMI is genetically driven. Dr. Stunkard has proven that with his twin and adoption studies. Thing is, no one wants to admit that. Where would the diet industry be?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3941707

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/256/1/51

We know that the healthiest weight in terms of mortality is "overweight" to "obese." Scientists (but not the general public) know that the most unhealthy weight is "underweight."

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10392

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558227_4

http://www.imminst.org/forum/topic/...f-90000-adults/

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...l/0801082a.html

Why don't we make what we eat all about health and not what the scale says? My answer is $$$ and the lies that we've been told for years.

ETA: Y'all do know that the act of losing weight increases mortality? It could be the re-gaining, but intentional weight loss is associated with increased mortality.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...ijo201041a.html

Last edited by NewRuth : Tue, Sep-21-10 at 16:11.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:05
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

From my anecdotal observations on the board, often the people who lose some weight and then stall out while sticking to plan discover other issues--often food sensitivities/allergies, hormonal imbalances, thyroid issues, etc. Once these issues are identified and corrected, weight loss often resumes. Obviously there may be exceptions to this, but it does seem to be a pattern.

--Melissa
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:06

BF:

I can think of several cases among friends and acquaintances, mature adults, all overweight, who when they became romantically interested in someone new invariable shed poundage and shed it effortlessly.

This is why I believe that perhaps some component of *mood* may be the missing link .... but I am not referring to positive thinking or positive affirmations, I mean an authentic joy and genuine enthusiasm in life & work & love.

THAT seems to bring out the "skinny" in people.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:08

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
From my anecdotal observations on the board, often the people who lose some weight and then stall out while sticking to plan discover other issues--often food sensitivities/allergies, hormonal imbalances, thyroid issues, etc. Once these issues are identified and corrected, weight loss often resumes. Obviously there may be exceptions to this, but it does seem to be a pattern.

--Melissa

Very insightful, I second your comment.

Patrick
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
BMI is genetically driven. Dr. Stunkard has proven that with his twin and adoption studies. Thing is, no one wants to admit that. Where would the diet industry be?

Hush, hush Ruth -- you'll ruin what's left of the economy, LOL
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile

--Melissa

I third her comment!!