Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176.5/170/154 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question Hashimoto's - your advice ??

Hi Everyone !!

I was dx 2 yrs ago with SLE. About 1 yr ago I put on about 35 lbs overnight. I just figured it was because I was not sticking to a proper diet, etc. but 7 wks ago I decided to do something about it. I started a weight training and cardio plan plus Weight Watchers. And the weight is just NOT coming off !!!

I am quite certain I am suffering from hypothryoidism - brought on by my faulty immune system. I see my Lupus doc Wed. to get the necessary tests underway to confirm this.

I have done a lot of research on hypothyroidism and I am def. showing more than 80% of the symptoms listed. To me this really isn't a great disappointment. If I am dx with a thyroid condition at least all this fatigue, weight gain, lack of weight loss, etc will finally make sense and I can do something about it.

I have decided to start Atkins based on research findings that hypo's are highly carb sensitive (which I KNOW I AM !!).

Can anyone recommend complimentary supplements to help my condition? Currently I am taking CLA, Garcinia Cambogia, SISU Enzymes, Moducare, EFAs and Dophilus

Thanks,
Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 13:00

Stats: 228/225.5/145
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy Me too

I have Hashimoto's also. I take Synthroid every day now for the rest of my life. It has made losing weight VERY difficult. Atkins is the only diet that seems to help me. I just started BFL to go along with my Atkins which I am beginning again today. I am hoping that the combination will do the trick.

In addition to the Synthroid, I take a B12 and a multivitamin. I don't believe in taking too many medications. I did check with my doctor regarding Green Tea and Pyruvate. She said that they were fine to take along with my Synthroid. She actually said that there were very few drugs and supplements that react with thyroid medication. But to do everything possible to stay away from products that contain Ephedra or any "natural" form of Ephedra.

Good luck I know how frustrating it can be to try to lose weight with this condition.

Donna
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 186/147/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's also. Here are some things to consider/remember.

1. Always take your thyroid meds on an empty stomach! Wait one hour before eating/drinking anything more than water.

2. Wait atleast 4 hours before taking any supplements or other medications. Also try and eat fiber foods at least 3 hours past throid meds.

3. Read some low-carb books. The more the merrier. Also readup on fitness and excerise......it's the best way to jumpstart.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:44
Registered Member

Stats: 176.5/170/154 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post Thanks guys! IODINE

I also read that anything with high levels of iodine should be avoided such as kelp, salt. That this actually can make Hashimoto's worse. I bought a supplement a month ago that contained Tonalin only to read now that another ingredient it contains, kelp, is a no-no
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Default I hear you....

I have hashimoto's and IR and when I was on Synthroid, I couldn't lose weight. PERIOD. When I started on it, the 1+lb/week I was gaining stopped but I couldn't get the scale to go the other direction to save my life!! When I went to a new endo I told her I wanted to try something else because I was doing everything right and still nothing. She prescribed Levoxyl because it's now formulated to quick absorb and most of her patients do better on it...turns out I'm in that club. Eventhough I went from 100 mcgs of Synthroid to 25 mcgs of Levoxyl (75% difference), I dropped several pounds (not a lot), the puffiness went away, and I felt BETTER. Now that I'm LCing the weight has started melting away too.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 04:14
Registered Member

Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%

Why can't ephedra products be taken if one is on thyroid meds?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 16:00

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile

Hi there!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 1987 while still in high school. SInce then I've struggled with weight loss and the only thing that really worked was low-carbing. I wa son the Pill for a bit over a year, and combined with not watchign my diet, 30 pounds crept right back up on me.

1) Take meds on an empty stomache, and preferably at the same time every day.

2) any carbs you eat should be at least a couple hours after the meds, and early in the day. Late night carbs will get you!

3) Talk to you doctor about your TSH results. There is a range that is considered normal, and many doctors are happy to keep you in the high range. eg. if range is 1-5, then "normal" is at 2, but many of us are kept at 3.5 or 4! Then we still have symptoms even thought the blood tests are "normal".

Many doctors are reluctant to increase your dose unless they have no choice, because the increase in meda also increases the risk of osteoporosis.

to Shasta: I'm not 100% sure, but ephedra products are har don tehheart, and with our comprimised immune system function, there is an increased risk of nasty and long-lasting side effects.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 00:01
Registered Member

Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%
Default Hmmmm....

I've taken ephedra products off and on for about 6 years and haven't had a problem so far. I've only been on Armour for 6 months, though. No problems so far, but I'll be careful.