Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 10:12

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Carbs per cup of Splenda Granulated?

Does anybody out there KNOW how many grams of carbs there are in a cup of Splenda Granulated? It is marketed for baking but the only nutrition information is that there is "less than 1 g" total carbs per teaspoon. NOBODY uses a single teaspoon of the stuff when baking!

With homebaked goodies, the only way to get an accurate carb count is to add up the actual carbs in each ingredient in the recipe, then divide the total by the number of serving you cut that cake or pie into. Yet the per CUP carb count for Splenda seems to be a state secret!

With 48 teaspoons to a cup, "less than 1 gram per teaspoon" COULD still mean 47.9 grams of carbs per cup... a significant amount if the recipe only makes 8 to 12 serving. Or, "less than 1 gram per teaspoon" could mean just 10 grams per cup and therefore a negligible amount per serving in most recipes.

I'm usually pretty good at finding info out on the web but this one has me stymied. I'm hoping that maybe someone here has the inside scoop. If the info is NOT available anywhere, I'm going to assume that there ARE 48 grams of carbs per cup of Splenda Granulated because then I'll be "on the safe side" when I calculate the carbs per serving.

In fact, if Splenda is hiding the real carb count, I recommend that we just start spreading the word that, when using Splenda Granulated in baking, assume 48 grams of carbs per cup. Once that info becomes widely disseminated among carb counters, if it turns out that there really are significantly less carbs than that, maybe Splenda will publish the info.

Last edited by bevangel : Sat, Sep-13-14 at 10:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 10:51
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I don't have the answer, but I was actually going to suggest just counting each tsp as 1 carb---then I read what you said about it. I think that's probably a good idea, but I can totally understand wanting exact counts.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 12:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmm... was pretty easy to find using google. I typed in "how many carbs in a cup of splenda". http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Ad...arbs/td-p/72560

24. This is why many of us get the liquid splenda, like Ez Sweetz, Sweetz free, or whatever brand. One drop is equiv. to 1.5 tsp of sugar and there's 0 carbs even in enough drops to equal a cup because it is diluted with water, not maltodextrin.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 12:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I'm not sure where I got this, but I have 1 tablespoon of Splenda at .5g carb. So a cup would be 8g carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 13:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

The carbs/calories in powdered forms of Splenda come from the maltodextrin and dextrose fillers, which are pure carbohydrates. Both the little 2 tsp equivalent packets and the granulated "measures just like sugar" forms contain 0.5g carbohydrate per 1 teaspoon equivalent .. however, the granulated type has been "fluffed up" to make it easier to measure.

According to Splenda's own website .. 1 cup of Splenda has 24g carbs and 96 calories. Note: 1 cup = 48 teaspoons. So .. 0.5g carbs and 2 calories per teaspoon (or half a packet).

There's a comparison chart on the Splenda site for professionals. Unfortunately it won't allow direct img linking, but you can check it out here .. http://www.splendaprofessional.com/comparesugar

hth,
Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 13:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Oops! I had tablespoons & meant teaspoons.

So it is 24g carbs per cup.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 22:55

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Straight from the horse's mouth

I emailed Splenda (aka McNeil Nutritionals, LLC) to ask this question more than a week before posting my question here and had not gotten a reply. But today I did. Here is the info they sent me copied and pasted straight from the email I got:

Thank you for contacting McNeil Nutritionals, LLC, makers of SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener Granulated. It is always important to hear from our consumers, and we appreciate the time you have taken to contact us. The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDAŽ Granulated
1 tsp = 0.5 gm carbohydrate = 2 calories
one half cup = 12 gm carbohydrate = 48 calories
1 cup = 24 gm carbohydrate = 96 calories
*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:
Sugar 1 tsp = 4 gm of carbohydrate = 16 calories
one half cup = 96 gm of carbohydrate = 385 calories
1 cup = 192 gm of carbohydrate = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener come from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDAŽ Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate. Granulated - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)

Since you need to use only half the volume of sugar called for in your recipe, SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking and SPLENDAŽ Brown Sugar Blend provides half the calories and carbohydrate that sugar would ordinarily provide.

SPLENDAŽ Sugar Blend for Baking (use ˝ as much as sugar)
one half cup = 96 gm carbohydrate = 384 calories
one half teaspoon = 2 gm carbohydrate = 16 calories

SPLENDAŽ Brown Sugar Blend (use ˝ as much as Brown Sugar)
One half cup packed = approximately 95-105 gms carbohydrate = approximately 380-420 calories
One Cup packed = approximately 190-210 gms carbohydrate = approximately 760-840 calories

NancyLC, I was looking for the number of carbs in granulated Splenda because I wanted to use it and almond flour to bake some low carb "quick breads". I don't think liquid splenda would work very well for that. LOL!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 07:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Actually, you can use liquid based splenda for it. Just add it to your liquid and mix well.