Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question Started 2 days ago !!!!! Got a BIG question about ATkins diet

Hello everybody !

My hubby and I started the ATkin's diet 2 days ago !

Yesterday was real bad for me coz i've always been a sweets and bread and FRUITS junkie. And I've never eaten fatty food in my whole life.
I felt FUNNY the whole time Craving for sweets, fruits and feeling so guilty abt eating so much fats !!!! I fear I may end up putting on weight instead !!!

Dr Atkin's theory about INSULIN sounded very sound. But the one thing that really baffles me is -

If we are consuming so much fat, would our body still turn to STORED fat for energy in the absence of glucose or glycogen ???

Wouldn't we be utilising those fats we are eating ????

So if we are now eating more fat than we did last time, how could we still burn fat even when we are not eating carbohydrate ??

Its been 2 days, I havent lost any weight even put on a little. Its getting me worried ...

Btw, is it ok for me to take some peanut butter everytime i crave for my chocolates ???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 07:04

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi - I guess the best information I could give you is personal information. I consumed 2 pounds of butter during induction and lost 9 pounds. So eating fat in the absence of carbs, as the good Doctor says, causes the body to burn body fat as fuel.

However, as mentioned to you by another member in another post, you have to stick to induction. Peanut butter is not a substitute for sweets. Try some sugar free jello instead.

Also, why don't you post an actual menu of foods (complete with portion sizes) that you eat in a day. That might help us help you
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:35

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi and welcome. My guess is, after years of believing the low-fat myth (a must read on this topic of fat intake and health is the Taubes Science article--available at http://ajdubre.tripod.com/Health/So...ietaryFat0.html ), you probably aren't eating too much fat. I bet you haven't yet stuck a spoon into a stick of butter or vat of cream cheese or cooked up a whole pound of bacon as a snack.

Yes, if you ate far more in calories as fat than you were expending as energy, you wouldn't lose weight. But in the absence of high levels of insulin, you wouldn't store it, either. It'd come out as waste (and you might get diarrhea as a result). You might want to utilize www.fitday.com to make sure your calorie intake is right at 11 or 12 x your body weight in pounds (or about 1550-1700 calories for you). For the "average" person, this, LC, all whole fresh foods, no sugar substitutes, limited dairy, and some moderate exercise would provide the optimum weight loss conditions. With so little to lose, once you've gotten your induction results (typically 3 or so pounds for more slender people), you'll probably only lose at .5-1.0 pounds per week, on average.

All that said, you could be different. Your metabolism could require more calories (eating fewer than 1400 would likely send you into "starvation mode" and your body would refuse to give up any fat molecules at all), 50 g of carbs instead of 20 for optimal loss, no dairy at all, caffeine might help you rather than hinder you, or so on. The only way to know is to pick the plan, stick with it, and be satisfied with anything around a half pound loss per week. If you don't lose pounds or inches for three or four weeks, then it may be time to start experimenting a little to see if a dietary or exercise change could get the fat moving again.

Hope that helps!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks for advice !

Hello,

Thanks for your advices.

I have another 2 more questions :

a) peanut butter had abt 4g of carbo / 2 tablespoon.
Why would it be wrong to take that 4g if it is within the 20g allowed for the day ? AFterall, its peanut, and butter with prob abit if sugar giving rise to 4g of carbo ??
It works for my sugar craving !! But I'm also switching to the sugar free jello , one cup a day ...

b) Abt caffeine
Dr Atkin's says, caffeine mimcs sugar and causes a temporarily increase in insulin. However, in the absence of glucose in the body, no glycogen can be formed even though insulin is produced.
Caffeine was "banned" coz it may cause irritability, etc related to the rise and fall in insulin in the body.
Why is caffeine so bad if you can manage that "irritability" issue ?

Today is my 3rd day, the ketostix have turned lavender
And I'm starting to feel better !!
Told myself, bacon and omelatte for bfast, lunch will be steak and dinner will be chicken wings !!

love chicken wings ... dont really dare to take too much veggies coz i really dont want to exceed that 20g !
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 05:50

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

During induction your carbs should be coming from green leafies and other veggies - peanut butter is fine for later.

Caffeine causes an insulin spike. That is what you are trying to avoid. The irritability has nothing to do with it.

The point of induction is to detoxify your body from the crud you've been feeding it up until now, AND to get your pancreas to STOP pumping out insulin like crazy. So long as you continue to spike your own insulin during induction, you are not getting full benefit of the induction period.

After induction and once you have "retrained" your body to knock off the insulin over-production, you can add back certain foods and will discover on your own, which ones cause you problems. This is also part of the ongoing weight loss stage.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

BTW there's no butter in peanut butter. It's usually a mix of ground peanuts, SUGAR, and trans fat oils (the ones best avoided). As long as you consume sugar you keep spiking insulin like LC said and the vicious cycle remains.

Later after induction if you choose to reintroduce peanut butter you need one without sugar, that's simply peanuts.
Jo