Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 01:12
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Way to go, Karen. You are going to have some muscular legs, girl! That's great your little guy like the ride - before you know it, he'll be on his own bike.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 07:41

Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

Welcome to hauling, Karen! In decent weather I pull Sen in a burley double, and I just bought an Adams Trail-a-bike for my nephew From everything I hear, it is just SOOOO much safer to trailer kids rather than throw a seat on back. Wait until you get to the point where you are pulling the trailer AND you drop folks, especially men. They HATE that and it is highly enjoyable and satisfying! <evil grin>

Allez Girl!

sen
  #63   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:03

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hello fellow cyclists! I'm back from helping a friend move to Idaho and can't wait to get back on my bike - it's been 4 days!!! Hope everyone else's riding has been going great; it looks from some of the posts that it has been.

For those wanting a bit of a smile, you might get a kick out of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/31/p...print&position=
  #64   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 23:02
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

East Coasters... Looks like a fun ride.....

http://www.valleyforge.org/Patriots...action=BtoBHome
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:37

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi to all the cyclists! I am on cloud 9 - actually got to ride twice this weekend, with my schedule that isn't always possible.

Hi Sen! I didn't know you used a trailer - thought your daughter was beyond trailer age? I have a Burley Cub for my guy. We started a couple of years ago with a cheapie trailer but he ended up pushing the side out last year and making contact with the wheel - it scared me so much that I immediately retired that trailer and invested in the Burley. It is just so hard to climb with my extra weight and also the trailer, but it's so much fun. I just can't believe my rambunctious toddler sat in the trailer for 20 miles without a break.

The whole reason I got a trailer was for safety reasons. Plus, I don't have great balance myself and can't imagine having a 35 lb toddler in the seat behind me flailing around. I don't think I'll be dropping folks anytime soon though, it's tough pulling a trailer against the wind.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 21:57

Gypsy - I sure wish I could make that Liberty Bell to Valley Forge ride, it sounds great.

Karen, I don't pull a human child and you are right, my daughter is definitely too big for a trailer particularly since she is taller than me, LOL!

I haven't had the time to get any riding in over the last four days due to work and travel and car difficulties, so I am now fully green over everyone else's getting to ride!

Allez Y'All-

sen
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:40

Due to recent commuting experiences and another conversation on this forum, I just want to state the following for any non-cyclist that wanders across this thread, for the purpose of education-

In all 50 states cyclists are legally entitled to use the roadways (barring only controlled-access, interstate highways) That means we have a right to be there. We are considered moving vehicles with the rights and responsibilities of any motorist. You can not nudge us off the road, force us on to the sidewalks, or harrass us in any way and think it is justified or legal.

In many cases, we have the right to take the lane if need be to insure our safety. If you see a 'cyclist' doing something stupid, like riding against traffic or cutting an intersection, report them as you would any vehicle. (Although, ime, these are not 'real' cyclists, that behave in this manner)

Too bad if sharing the road makes you what, 20 seconds, maybe, later to work? We use no petroleum resources, we contribute no smog, and WE HAVE A RIGHT TO BE THERE!

My rant for the week-

Allez Y'All

sen
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 10:56
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sen -- nice rant. I'm a cyclist, and I'm also a driver. And I have to say I see an AWFUL LOT of cyclists with really bad road manners. In fact, these types of riders are definitely predominant in my area. I hate witnessing the stupidity and arrogance of these cyclists -- because it is these riders who give the rest of us a bad name and engender such hate for us when we are on the roads.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:26

BF:

You guys both have great points. I think some motorists are angry at us because of the arrogant cyclists out there; and I think some of the cyclists are arrogant and angry because of the idiot motorists out there. As I see it, what's really needed is a PR/educational advertising campaign by the cycling industry to encourage sharing of the road and good manners. Who knows, it might even work!

BTW, I did my first "official" ride this past weekend! If you're interested, I did a little write-up about it in my journal: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...432#post2266432
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 23:42

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Great rant Sen! I actually had to fight with my bank in the last two weeks. I rode through the drive-thru with my son in the trailer (to make a deposit for DH's business). The teller refused to serve me, saying that I was putting my son in danger by riding the bike through there, because people in cars speed around the building!

I was livid and wrote to the bank manager. I also sent him a PA Bicycle Driver's Manual. Luckily, the manager called me and told me I was welcome to drive my bicycle through the drive-thru any time I choose!

I went on my first group ride ever last Thursday (mostly on bike paths). It was a casual 8 miler with free ice cream at the end, and nobody gets dropped! Well, I wasn't the slowest even with towing my not-so-little guy, so that made me very, very happy. And I didn't get lost

My speed-racer 9 year old finished in the first group on the ride. He also qualified for the Bicycle Racing League finals this week and will be racing under the lights at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome: http://www.lvvelo.org/ (thanks for letting me brag)
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrides

In many cases, we have the right to take the lane if need be to insure our safety.
sen

If you ask me you should always ride about 1-1/2 to 2 feet from the white line on the right side of the road. This means that you will not get squeezed off the road as any car passing you has to go around you or over you. If you ride closr to the edge of the road, many cars just try to squeeze between you and oncoming traffic without slowing down or using any caution what-so-ever. This gets you knocked into a ditch or hit by a rear view mirror.

Also if a driver is angry and yells something obscene or getures in such a manner, just smile and wave. They don't know how to respond to that. if you respond with nastiness you have to remeber they have a far heavier vehicle and could have a gun. You would lose to either of those.

my 2 cents
(from a few thousand miles on the roads)
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:02

Hey All-

Totally agreed, Dug, but there are some curves on my new commute to work that make me take the entire lane, just to make clear that this isn't the place to pass me, please Lord!

Cheesy (by the way, I like your lycra tag!) the problems I see in this area are the casual bike-riders, not what I would classify as cyclists. You know, the kind of people that are on a bike because they have to be, not because they've made a conscious choice to ride and ride correctly. They meander through traffic, cut intersections, and infuriate the driving public to the point that they take it out on the easier targets, the real cyclists

It's now officially June, anyone beside myself and Teardrop interested in the RAPsody ride around puget sound at the end of August? I'm trying to squeeze it in.......

Allez Y'All-

sen
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 09:56

Default They Are Going To Pay Me To Ride!!!!!!!

Hey All-

I went yesterday to the Atlanta Clean Air Campaign website. (For those in Georgia it's www.cleanaircampaign.com) I went because I had just heard yet another commercial encouraging commuting alternatives on the car radio and I wondered why they never mentioned cycling. But sure enough, once I got there cycling was definitely included in the 'eligible' modes of transportation.

I've completed my paperwork and gotten my boss to accept hers. If I understand this correctly, they are going to pay me $180 to ride my bike to work for the next three months..... I'm posting this because it occurs to me that Atlanta is not a 'beacon' of progressive transportation thought - we don't even have many HOV lanes yet, for example, so perhaps other cities have tapped into whatever federal funds must be encouraging this program.

As if I needed encouragement or inducement to ride to work, having rearranged everything from my employer to my commute distance just so I could do it anyway

Allez Y'All

sen
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-04, 10:17

BF:

Well, I finished my first 50-miler yesterday - the Tour de Cure. I have a report and some pictures here if anyone's interested: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...746#post2287746

Sen - that's a great idea - paying people to ride! Denver should certainly have something like that to reduce the dreaded "brown cloud" we get!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 16:17

BF:

"The Cyclism is Upon Us"

The countdown has begun - and OLN's new Tour de France site is up and running: http://www.olntv.com/cyclysm/intro.html - check it out! Something tells me I'm not going to get much work done next month...

Anyway - how are all the LC Cyclists? I went for quality instead of quantity this morning - only 12 miles, but mostly hill climbing. My legs feel like rubber, but it's worth it. Anyone have some interesting rides to share???