Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:43

Plan: SBD
Stats: 170/169.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Yvonne

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the dietician and health coach, and the loss of the $1000

But I am delighted to hear that you have such a loving and supportive husband!

~Jane
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:45

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 280/166/167 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

Judy, maybe "in butter" actually means "nut butters"?

Hmmmm, since when is a cashew a problem nut? I don't remember that one. Are they higher in saturated fats than the other nuts ~ I thought macadamia nuts (and maybe Brazil nuts?) were the higher sat fat nut?

I read *somewhere* the other day (maybe it was ediets Glycemic Index diet?) that the lastest GI numbers research show that converted rice has a lower GI than brown. Interesting.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 17:42

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte
Hi Annabel

Just wondering, what is 'induction level' of carbs? I'm hypo too, and find that even with a healthy diet I can't seem to lose weight unless I cut out the carbs. So how much do you think is the right amount?

I was on Levothyroxine for a while last year and it did not agree with me (anxiety, dizziness, depression, shakes). Doctor switched me to Synthroid, started with 25, upped to 50 about 2 months ago. Still not feeling like it is enough. She seems happy enough if my TSH is 5, but I'm not! Getting bloods checked again this week and will see her next week. I asked about Armour last time, and she said if the Synthroid wasn't working we could think about it.

Hi there.
By induction levels I am talking about the first two weeks on the South Beach diet... so no wine, no grains, no fruit (though I have added this in by now). Sticking to that phase 1 got my weight off.

Good god? 5? Is your doctor insane? What benefit will 5 have if most of the population is 1 and under?
Sweet lord, change your doctor forthwith or find someone who will dose you on Armour immediately!
There are good docs available... but go back and insist she gives it you if you feel you can! Demand it. She's meant to be working for you so make sure she does.
I really don't know how you can get on with a doc who is happy with a TSH of 5 though.
Mine was 6.8 and I was nearly dead. (and I don't exaggerate that)
You must be feeling really low! (((HUGS))))

T4 is not a complete medication and can only do a half job. The Levothyroxine side effects may have also due to a poor adrenal situation. Have you had your adrenal function looked at? Cortisol measured?

This can also happen on Armour ... so check out adrenal issues before you do anything else. Adrenals in theory should always be treated before the thyroid. Most docs don't do that though.

Armour has T4, T3, T2, t1 and calcitonin in it and your cells need this for proper function.

You can in the meantime, increase your own T4 meds if your doctor isn't going to play ball... Take it up by 25mcg by getting a pill cutter from a pharmacy and dose yourself up.

Generally, the instructions are that you increase the dose by 25mcg every 6 weeks until your symptoms are gone. (Ignore what the numbers say... if you're not feeling better, then it's not enough)

Your doc is totally incorrect about 5 being the correct measurement (unless of course this is some weird lab measurement but I can't see how) and this will probably mean that she only looks at numbers rather than how you are feeling... so find yourself a 'symptoms' doc rather than a 'numbers' doc.

Do you swallow your drugs? If you take them sub-lingually, they're far more effective. This means putting the tablet under your tongue (no liquids) and letting it dissolve slowly. This way it gets absorbed straight into the blood stream via a vein under your tongue.

If you swallow it, it has to go via your liver and that lowers the amount you're getting.

Whilst you're still on the T4 you should also take it before you go to bed, because the conversion to T3 is higher when you're asleep.

Take these measures whilst you're on the T4 before you get your Armour, because you might as well feel better on it if you've got it.

Now, tell me. What tests have you had for your thyroid?

Just a TSH test?

Have you had a Free T3 and Free T4 test? These are the only accurate measurement of how you are. The TSH test is merely a tiny indicator and not much of a diagnostic tool. It's generally not bothered with by doctors who know what they're doing. TSH levels can come out completely normal in many cases and the issue can remain undiagnosed for many people because of this.

Also, have they tested you for antibodies? You need to know if you have them or not, which makes things different and you may have Hashimoto's which is an auto immune illness that attacks the tissues of the thyroid... It sounds horrid but it's the most common form of thyroid issue, but it can be held in check with Armour/T3 meds....

The link I put up earlier in this thread... go there and read.
Read as if your life depended on it (because it does!) and the only way you're going to be able to get effective treatment is by being an informed patient and finding a doc who will work with you.
If you accept 5 from your doctor and her poor treatment of your serious condition, then you are accepting a life of misery, sad to say.

So here's your homework to follow up on:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Below you will see links for:

# CAUSES OF HYPO
# SYMPTOMS of HYPO
# RECENT NEW DISEASES
# THYROID, DEPRESSION and MENTAL HEALTH

* Why Natural Thyroid?

# T4-ONLY MEDS DON'T WORK
# NATURAL THYROID 101
# ARMOUR vs. OTHER BRANDS

* How to do it

# THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED
# MISTAKES PATIENTS MAKE
# RECOMMENDED LABWORK
# ADRENAL INFO
# TAKE YOUR TEMP!
# SUPPLEMENTS WE TAKE

* Stories

# MY STORY
# STORIES OF OTHERS

* Concerning Doctors

# DOCTORS NEED TO RETHINK
# DEAR DOCTOR...
# GIVE ME A BREAK!
# HOW TO FIND A GOOD DOC

Any questions, get back to me. I hope that's helpful.
I do so hate to see people get second rate treatment for something so serious... Good luck.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 19:04

Plan: SBD
Stats: 170/169.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Wow!!! Annabel. All I can say is a mega "Thank you" - for such a brilliant response to my question. I really, really appreciate the time you spent typing all that out, and the experience/wisdom you have to share. Wow!!

I don't have much time tonight to respond, and the client I work at for the next two days doesn't allow much access to the web, but I really would like to answer more of your questions, perhaps on Saturday.

I don't know what the 'acceptable' range is in Australia, but here in the US, if you are within 0.3 - 5.5 (on TSH) it's 'supposedly' okay. I know there are varying thoughts on that, so I do plan on discussing it further with the doc next Thursday - and I will ask about the adrenal issues too.

My hypo was induced, btw, by a partial thyroidectomy for a (thankfully) benign tumour.

I saw your earlier post on the 'stop the madness site" and it's already on my favorites list. Again, thank you!!!

I will start sub-lingual med tomorrow - thanks so much for the advice.

Thanks for the hugs - right back atcha!

~Jane
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/184/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Sorry it didn't go well for you. I hope you at least got a gym membership with that.

I was going to go through a nutrition program at my gym as well and then I talked to someone who had done it. She said that they were pretty set on the eating plan and not too flexible about changing things. I don't understand why? Each person has different nutritional needs and different goals. If there is a nutritionist or dietician there, why can't they adjust to the individual needs. I'm so glad I found out before I signed up.

I did join the gym though and I get full use of my membership.