Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/208/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile "heavy whipping cream" and the SBD

My husband & I are about to go to Phase II of the SBD. We were on Atkins--didn't lose a lot. The SBD sounds more sensible and I find that we adhere (so far) more closely to SB than Atkins especially when it comes to starches & bread--anyway before I get off on the great advantages of LCarbing, I have just one question. There are many LC desserts that I have gotten (not only from this forum) but from Dr. Atkins books & most of them use "heavy whipping cream"--is it okay to use this? Also, my husband likes the breakfast muffins that I have gotten from this forums recipe page & would like to start taking them with him again to have with his mornings cup of coffee but they also contain "heavy whipping cream". Any advise?

Thanks in advance.

Maren Stoy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 12:55

Plan: dr.schwarzbein
Stats: 160/159/127 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Heavy Whipping...

Heavy WhippingHeavey WhippingHeavy Whipping

Heavy Whipping cream is great because it has no sugar and is not stored as fat. If you ever plan to read up on the Schwarzbein program you'd find out that not all fat makes you fat. Choose "Real" Whipped cream. I use it in my coffee and on oatmeal. The coffee creamers that are non dairy, fake and even half and half is the worst for you. The whipped is a natural and be sure to buy the one that says "Real" on the package. Hope that helps. Take good care!heavy whipping
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 15:49

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/127/130 Female 5'7
BF: BMI:26%/20%/20%
Progress: 109%

I have never tried it myself but I have heard that you can substitute heavy whipping cream for fat free half and half which is legal for SBD. Heavy whipping cream is not.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:34

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Heavey Whipping Cream would be one of those items that a South Beacher would have very very rarely, in very limited quantities, if they were on Phase III. We try to limit the amount of saturated fat we eat.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:36

Plan: South Beach/Atkins diet
Stats: 235/228/160 Female 5"9
BF:
Progress:

I wonder what about 1 tsp of fat free whip cream??
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:25

Plan: SBD
Stats: 148/148/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress:

If you are using the heavy whipping cream for cooking, like sauces ect, you can substitute evaporated skim milk successfully, while you will lose a little bit of the creaminess it will still be close to the original, I do it all the time to reduce the fat in recipes. Just be careful not to boil it, heat it on low heat slowly or it may curdle.

I'm not really a baker, so I don't know about the baking aspect, but you can always give it a try.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 22:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 402/299/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Besides the evaporated skim milk already mentioned, I've also seen plain, low-fat yogurt used as a substitute. I just did a google search this afternoon for "replace cream with", since I found an Atkins-style recipe that I wanted to try the SBD way. Since I usually have fat-free yogurt on hand, I was going to give it a try the next chance I get. Of course, it'll be in a recipe that I've never tried before, so I'll have nothing to compare it to! I'll have to rely on my taste buds alone!