Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 11:26
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Jake - awesome job with the new records especially considering you were tired. It's amazing what happens when we push ourselves, isn't it? BTW, as far as flexibility, I would necessarily suggest yoga for you but maybe just incorporating the principles. The real key is just to take the time to stretch. The more you do (especially right after working out) the better it'll be for you...for flexibility and recovery. I'm a huge believer in it. Have a great weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 10:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%

A quick update on my exercise of late: I've been doing it, just not putting it in here as there hasn't been much beyond the routine. Thursday and Friday I hit the kettlebell, Saturday I only had a 1/2 an hour so I hit the treadmill and did 2 1/2 miles, of which I jogged 1 3/4 including 1 1/4 straight, then sunday I hit the kettlebell again. I seem to have finally put on the muscle I need to really hit it at 53 lbs, as it's gotten much easier than it was, knock on wood (though it's still definitely serious exercise). Last night I hit the KB really hard and did 6 sets of 10 of clean and presses and 1 armed swings, and I also did this new thing where I'm doing 9 passes around the body segued directly into 9 passes between the legs without stopping, then repeating. I found that if I do odd numbers I automatically switch direction when I go into the other type of pass, and since I'm not in the crouch for as long for the between-the-legs style I can go longer and it's a BRUTAL workout. I'm not sure how to document my sets of that, so I'll do it this way:

((9 x 2 pass types)x4) = 1 set, and I did 2 sets in addition to the clean and presses and swings last night. So that means that I did

9 around the body passes into 9 through the legs passes into
9 around the body passes into 9 through the legs passes, all without stopping. I'm considering that to be 1 set.

Then I took a break, then I repeated.

For my Friday kettlebell workout I just did ((9 x 2 pass types)x5)x5, and it was a KILLER. I'm probably going to start working that in as a regular workout, because it's really good for muscle building and brutal(!) for cardio. I was also doing double-dumbell curls at 35 lbs in between those sets. I've switched them from the day with the clean and presses/swings because it was making those days take too long and I think there were too many redundant muscles being used, making the overall workout less effective.

-j.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 21:52

BF:

I hit the KB tonight and did ((9x2)x5) x 6 sets of passes, and 6 sets of ten double-fisted dumbbell curls (each dumbbell at 35). Those passes are a serious workout.

I think I might up the dumbbells a bit, but I'm going to hold steady on the KB weight at 53 lbs, at least for the time being. I've definitely put on some more muscle as the KB work has gotten easier than it was (knock on wood), but I'm not sure that I'm super-eager to get it much higher than where it is. I suppose I'll stick with it until it either gets way too easy or I change my goals to be getting stronger than I currently am.

-j.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 22:14

BF:

Hit the treadmill tonight, doing 4 miles in 49:38. Obviously not a record, but I wasn't trying to and at least it was under 50 minutes. I alternated 1/4 miles at 4 mph and 6 mph. I was really dogging it, probably because I didn't get started until 10 pm. The whole exercising late at night thing that I've been doing lately is really suboptimal. I don't have as much energy to do the exercise, it makes me fall asleep later which makes me wake up later which makes me need to work out after work which often leads to my starting late at night. Plus, when I do it late it means I'm not doing something else late, which isn't a great thing - I'd really like to be living a little bit. I'll keep doing it so long as I need to, because I feel like letting it go could be the start of a slide that I obviously don't want to happen, but, well, it just sucks.

Tomorrow might be a day off, but I might end up hitting the KB. I should probably have a recovery day in here somewhere, if not tomorrow then Friday.

-j.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 22:23

BF:

I've been pretty bad about updating this, but I've been exercising. Saturday it was actually somewhat warm out and I went outside for a good 1:20 walk with some jogging mixed in. Not as rigorous as when I have the treadmill to hold me accountable, but a bit of exercise and a good time to get some sun on my face (for once). Sunday I hit the KB, Monday I hit the treadmill, doing 6.60 miles in 90 minutes, which isn't a breakneck pace but I did mix in quite a bit of jogging. Tuesday I did a light KB workout before hitting a homegame.

Tonight I hit the treadmill, doing 4.25 miles total, with a 3 mile mark of 34:38, and a 4 mile mark of 46:50. I managed to jog a full mile straight (which is still pretty brutal for me), and alternated the rest in 1/4 mile increments between jogging and walking. Total jogging was somewhere between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 miles, with the extra being done at the end of one of the miles in attempt to boost my time. I didn't know I was so close to my record times (34:33 for 3 miles and 46:25 for 4 miles) - if I had I would have pushed a little harder. So close! DAMN! I knew I was getting in a good workout, but I didn't think I was close to those marks. Oh well, another day.

-j.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 13:19
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Jake - I just stopped by to check out your latest workout updates. I gotta say you're impressing the hell out of me. I figured you'd be proud of me - today I did intervals on the treadmill and jogged/ran 1 1/2 minutes (before could only do 30-60 secs) and really shot that heartrate up. It just shows you that you have to start somewhere right? And now look at how long you're jogging! Wow!

Keep it up, man. You are kicking butt. Oh yeah, and have a great weekend!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-07, 10:18

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Yep, its official.. You work out WAY WAY more than I do.. I shoulld be doing as much as you to get into better shape for the beach, but I don't have anyone yelling at me to do it! I wrote on my journal after you commented that I think you work out more than I and checked and yep, you do! Great job.. I always look up to people who are motivated enough to work out that much!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 21:04

BF:

Thanks, LStump. I don't have anyone yelling at me to do it, either. Except for me, of course, and I can be something of a maniac when I put my mind to something.

I guess that after posting this:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=333363

I felt obliged to work out a little extra tonight, so I hit the bike I just got for about 20-25 minutes, which is really surprisingly difficult. I mean, I jog, walk and lift all the time (just because I haven't been posting regularly in here doesn't mean I've been taking time off - I'm still keeping to a good and fairly strict schedule), but the bike works these muscles in my knees and my outer thighs that just apparently don't get a lot of work otherwise. So the cardio isn't what gets me shot on the thing, it's been muscle fatigue. I'll have to try and do it regularly until that's not a problem anymore. Today, incidentally, was my second time on a bike since I was 10 or 12. The other time was yesterday.

After that, I shot around, as I'm trying to get my basketball stroke back. I can still dribble, pass and play defense, but my shot isn't what it once was (when I was a kid I'd go to basketball (and/or soccer) camp during the summer, and I played several hours a day) and I want to rectify that. I love being able to play (and being in way better shape than my friends when we do). I was always relatively athletic growing up, despite my weight - I was goalie on the central state soccer team, score 16 goals in 10 games in soccer one season, won little league baseball and basketball championships, won most improved player at soccer camp one year, etc. I stopped most of that around 14, though, and though I'd play some pickup basketball here or some racquetball there, I was just in too bad shape to really do much. That's one of the reasons I love going to the batting cage so much, for instance.

After my ride and shoot around, I grabbed dinner, and then I hit the kettlebell, doing 5 sets of 12 of everything for the first time. I had been doing 5 sets of 10 regularly, or 6 sets of 10 occasionally, but upping the sets to 12 reps each was noticably harder than 6x10. I found that to be kind of odd, because the number of reps is the same, but the added reps per set really makes a difference.

So that was a pretty good day, workout-wise.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-01-07, 22:39

BF:

Hey there.. I've been reading up about HIIT and I've also had some people tell me about studies they read about where people sprint and then slow down and then sprint and slow down, etc. Seems to burn more fat from everything I've read and doesn't go to your muscles and break them down for energy. I'm going to start trying it, I'll keep ya posted :-)
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 07:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Hey there.. I've been reading up about HIIT and I've also had some people tell me about studies they read about where people sprint and then slow down and then sprint and slow down, etc. Seems to burn more fat from everything I've read and doesn't go to your muscles and break them down for energy. I'm going to start trying it, I'll keep ya posted :-)

I've definitely read a lot about it and all the studies seem to point to it being a great, if not the best, way to work out. I've done something vaguely similar where I'll walk and then jog/run until I can't anymore, then walk and then run, etc., and it does definitely gives a good workout. I also do hard sets with the kettlebell, then break, the another hard set, then break, which (since doing kb work is pretty good for cardio) is also somewhat similar. But it isn't the same short time workout, and the bursts aren't as hard as they recommend. Definitely let me know how it works out; I'm really interested in it.

-j.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 12:31

BF:

I will definitely keep you posted. I'm hoping to do it tonight if I have enough energy. I had to go to work kind of early (10AM is early in my book LOL, esp. when I usually come in at 12PM) and after work I'm signing up at curves and going tanning (horrible for my skin, I know.. But if I don't, I'll blister and my vacation will be ruined)LOL.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 17:07

BF:

I haven't been using this journal too often, obv, although I've been working out...so I might as well pop this in here -

I've jumped my kb up to 60.5 lbs. Did 6 sets of 8 on Sunday, did 5 sets of 10 today. Maybe I should jump it up again?? I'm trying to get my workouts to be shorter and more effective. For some reason in my mind 4 sets of 8 (and being really beat afterwards) is what I should be shooting for, but even at 60.5 I can do the 5th set of 10. Not sure how I'll proceed.

Relatedly, I'll probably gain like 45 lbs tonight because I lifted hard....that seems to be the post-mono pattern. Ali swears that I don't look like I've gained anything, and I'm only up an 1/8 of an inch on my waist, but I've regained 14 lbs since I got over mono. Grrr.

Oh well - all I can do is do what I know works. It will come around eventually. Either the weight will start coming off or I'm going to be like 270 lbs of pure muscle, because I'm not doing anything that should be putting fat back on me - it should be (and probably is) coming off..

-jake.