Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:44

Plan: CKD (Modified)
Stats: 27%/22%/15% Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Female Help Needed(TrainerDan or other) -need to lose 25lb

I have read many of the posts here and pretty much understand the idea of CDK , but I was wondering if it would be appropriate for my case to use.

Please look over my reasons why I am considering to do this and if you feel I should do CKD or not or if you have any suggestions or help you can offer me.

I greatly appreciate your time and expertise in this matter.

I have done Atkins for a while and lost pretty good amount of weight (done the plan pretty much to the T and included good amount of cardio and light to medium weight training).
When I was about 20lb from goal, I got stalled and tried everything I could to break it, nothing worked (around 6 month no loss of inches or pounds).

I came to the conclusion that may be my body entered “Starvation Mode” and that I needed to up my calorie intake to start losing again, I did so not drastically but reasonably. The result, I gain more weight (not muscle, but fat, around waste, legs and other places).

I am pretty upset now and am hoping that some one can help me.

I was thinking that may be I need to shake things up the way CKD does the 1.5 day CU and then low carb 5.5 days.

I am not sure though if this will work for a female that does not lift weight too much, I do moderate weight training and have great muscle definition in arms and other parts that are not covered by extra fat. I really don’t think I can build more muscle, but I want to lose 20-25lbs of fat and am stuck.

I am afraid to do this carb UP for 1.5 days because I just can’t imagine gaining more weight.

Please suggest what I can do to help me lose the fat.
It seems like being on Atkins so long, my body somehow is just stuck in a low carb state and does not want to let go of fat. I have tried just upping my carbs and following most of the plateau breakers in Atkins.

If anyone can assist me in any way or direct me to where I can find some info or even suggest something other than CKD or TCD or just post anything helpful, please do so.

I am in tears from trying so hard over the last 6 month of trying to lose 20lbs and instead gaining.

BTW (no medication taken, no other medical situations present, I am a female in late 20s).

Thank you so much to anyone who will post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 00:17

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had the same experience on locarb diets. I started researching and discovered that people with the absolute best physiques where I train did moderate balanced diets with roughly equal amounts of protein/fat/carb. Everyone one of them counted calories, ate five or more meals, and trained hard. I checked my own diet and found that I was consuming loads of fat and protein calories.
I didn't see you mention your caloric intake. Count your kcals for three days or so then cut them by 10% for a couple of weeks. Check your weight and if you are losing 1-2 lbs stick with it, otherwise cut back another 10%.
Start weight training with more intensity. You won't bulk up and it'll help you cut. Get an experienced trainer to show you how.
Add some carbs back into your diet but keep it at or below 100g. Do some cardio but not too much. Expect to gain back some water weight as this is a considerable percentage of weight lose on atkins. Locarbing slows down the metab and depletes glycogen in the muscles, so adding some carbs back in along with the training will stoke your furnace back up.
The only people I know that are successful on CKD type programs are hardcore bodybuilders that are training for contests. It's quite difficult, even sickening for some of us to throw in all that sugar. Not particularly healthy either. I don't know anyone who has been able to stick with CKD for more than a few weeks.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 05:34

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Amen to that Dan.. .

As in the other post: CKD is too hard to do, only benefit is the ability to pig out in the weekend, but strict CKD-ers then have to limit the fat/carb combo severely, so again: no pizza etc.

TKD is a much better approach..

I've been told to go isocaloric, but one prob is that it is more difficult then to control my food intake , as carb /junkfood cravings come back with a revenge.. doesn't help that for my endurance events I have to exclude fatty foods and only consume sugary stuff, including some junkfood...

Dr. Jekyll & Hyde indeed.

You DO work out as hard as you can with weights I hope? 3-4x wk weights, 3x/wk interval cardio. Excessive cardio breaks down muscle mass as I experience now for myself.

Fietser Ivana (down from 38% bf to 29-30%, so still waaaay to go!)