Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 22:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkadams
I just ran a 10 miler last Sunday.
Wow! Someday...
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 23:26

BF:

Me again! I just had to drop by because I had a personal best on the treadmill last night! I'm still in pursuit of a 30 min 5K (which I know is slow for a lot of people).

Just curious...does anyone wear minimalist shoes? I bought some Merrells, and I love the way they feel when I run. But I'm also nervous about injuring myself!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo, low fat/low carb
Stats: 270/242/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Congrats Ferry on the PB! I am a barefoot runner. I have both the Merrells and the Vibram Five Fingers. I love my five fingers but a lot of people hate the separate toes. The only thing is I don't wear them any other time but when I'm running because people stare at my feet. My sister will not go out in public with me when I am wearing them haha. Just a word of caution with them, build up distances very slowly, it can cause achilles tendon strain if you push it too far too fast.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 10:16

BF:

Thanks for the reminder! Too funny about your sister not wanting to be seen with you in the VFFs! My Merrells feel so good that it is a little hard to stop myself from wearing them. My old running shoes feel like bricks with pillows inside now. I think I'll go back to the oldies for my runs this weekend.

The Merrells remind me of wearing ballet shoes a little - it's kind of fun.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 18:52

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i've been curious about barefoot running. i'd like to give it a try sometime.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

Ferrygirl the Merrell barefoot sandals are amazing as well. I have two pairs and I live in them
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 03:00

BF:

The sandals sound great!

Today, I ran 5K in just under 30 minutes for the first time at the gym - so happy to finally pass that milestone.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 168/135/130 Female 5'3'
BF:
Progress: 87%

Congrats on breaking 30 minutes! )
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 20:45
Registered Member

BF:

Congrats on the personal best. I had one tonight as well. 10km in 59 min 30 seconds. I have been working on this one for a while. Glad I was running in the dark because I totally did a happy dance when I hit 10 km under an hour. Couldn't finish the last 300 metres because I was laughing. I have no problems with longer distances just getting my speed up. My thighs are still really thick and I think thats the main problem.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 16:32

BF:

WTG, Deoran! Sounds like the happy dance was well-deserved!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 03:20

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i love happy dances! i did one earlier this week when i finally ran a mile under 12 minutes.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 05:40

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

I started running about 8 weeks ago but had 3 weeks off due to strain on the calf & the flu
Back at it this week frantically trying to catch up on my training. I'm doing a 10k race on 13th of May. I've done the distance 3 times but last night was the first time I'd run the whole distance non stop with no walk breaks. Took me 8 minutes longer that way but had a great sense of achievement that I'd run the whole 10k without stopping. Considering if I want to take this further & do a half marathon next.
Should add I do gym 5x a week, spinning, body pump, boxing, circuits & personal training as well as the newly added running. I consider myself pretty fit, but running is a whole new ball game!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 20:33

BF:

Hey, peauk! How did your race go? Sorry to hear you had an injury and the flu...boo.

TaraTea- WTG on your mile in under 12! Great milestone. In the tracking website I use, a 12 minute mile is finally counted as a run (over 12 is a walk, even if you ran). This has always driven me crazy.

I ran 5 miles yesterday, and was very excited. It felt so good to be back in my Merrells. I wore them outside while I was traveling, and now they can't be used in the gym. They have been sullied. We had awful weather last week, so I did all my running in the gym in my old clodhoppers. I really hate running in my old running shoes now. I was hoping to order another pair of Merrells, so I'll have one outdoor and one indoor pair, but the color I like doesn't ship to Japan. Other colors do, though. I thought that was weird.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 09:53

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

My race was ok-ish!
I normally run at 6-7pm on an empty stomach but stupidly had my usual breakfast, protein shake before the run. I was nervous and along with the hot sun we had i threw up at the 5k mark. Spent the rest of the distance telling myself i wasnt going to be sick again instead of pushing myself.
I finished in 1 hour 12 minutes which i was quite dissapointed with as id done 1 hour 7 on Tuesday with 3 big hills and the race was flat so was hoping for the hour mark.
But despite being sick i finished.
Ive have registered for another 10k on the 15th of June, an evening run through the new forest and a 10k road run on the 18th of August. I am determind to get it under an hour, even if it takes a few goes.
On the shoe front i wear Asics gel running trainers and i love them. They were not cheap ~ £130 but they are comfy, firm fitting and due to the gel they absorb alot of the impact, unlike my previous nike runners. They are nice and cool too, i use them indoors and outdoors and will def get another pair when they wear out, which at this rate wont be long.
Deoran, well done in the 59mins im jealous i really want to do this in under an hour. Im not fast by any means just have alot of determination & stamina that keeps me going for a long distance.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-15-12, 00:39

BF:

peauk- WTG on your race, especially considering the, er, unfortunate event at the 5K mark. Can't wait to hear your times for the two upcoming races. An evening run in June through a new forest sounds so lovely.

I'm scheduled for a short run today, so I guess that means I need to work on my speed. It's too bad races can't be more like Mario Kart. It would be helpful if you could get banana peels to toss at your opponents, or bursts of speed and invincibility. That would be exciting.

What are your thoughts about negative splits? If I understand right, that's running slower at the beginning and faster later on, right? Have any of you ever tried that? I usually blast off in the beginning and then try not to die the closer I get to the end of the run.