Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your favorite cardio video series!
The Firm 88 20.90%
Kathy Smith 26 6.18%
Richard Simmons 39 9.26%
Denise Austin 24 5.70%
Tamilee Webb 8 1.90%
Buns of Steel Series 6 1.43%
Gilad 10 2.38%
Taebo 90 21.38%
Kathy Ireland 0 0%
Cindy Crawford 6 1.43%
Jane Fonda 8 1.90%
Other 155 36.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

#106   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up BeachBody.com

You can't forget to add videos such as Power 90 or Slim in 6. They are great and they REALLY work. I used Power 90 (and I still do) and you can change your body type in a matter of weeks. Check it out for yourself. It's a money back guarentee, what do you have to lose, but weight. Its bootcamp style so be prepared to work. But it is fun and very rewarding.

www.beachbody.com
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:34

Stats: 162/153/130 Female 5' 8
BF:for/get/it
Progress: 28%

My fav's are 10 minute abs, Winsor Pilates, and TaeBo Advanced.
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:53

Stats: 270/203/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

Richard Simmons and Leslie Sanson are my favs!
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 18:21
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up It's old, but ...

I feel a little embarrassed to admit it, but in addition to the Walk Away the Pounds tapes (which are annoying but easy to follow and a good workout if you're not in shape), I LOVE the CherFitness Body Confidence tape. The first half is a dance-y aerobics workout led by a choreographer, set to regular pop hits (but from the '90s, when the tape was made). The second half is a strength-training workout with stretchy exercise bands led by Cher's personal trainer (at least at the time).

Cher follows along in both workouts, and complains at exactly the same times that I'm straining and ready to give up. Makes me laugh and keep going instead.

When I used these before (I'm planning to start again as soon as I get back into the habit of working out, with the WATP tapes, which are shorter), I alternated and did the aerobics one day and the strength training the next. Not only did I feel fitter, but it made me feel like a dancer (and believe me, I'm as klutzy as they come).
  #110   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 208/189/130 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

When I was younger I used to work out to both of these videos.. I don't do much at home anymore as I'm a Curves fanatic nowadays..

The Grind - MTV - Tai Funk Arobics.. I LOVED IT.. its fun and you can really get into the groooove

Jane Fonda - Step aerobic and abdominal workout. Excellent workout and low impact. Great for a small workout area.. as I used to do it in my dorm room. (75 lbs thinner )
  #111   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 19:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink
I think I would like to begin yoga...experienced a little while I was dancing...about 1 1/2 years ago, I took some classes at Gold's gym. Since I am 100 lbs. overweight, I need to start at the very beginning. Does anyone know a beginners video I could use? What type of yoga should I try? I want my old body back. I want to be able to stretch out these horrible pounds that have plagued my body and glide again.

Any ideas ...thoughts on the matter?

Love & Light,
Pink

I used Yoga Journals, "Yoga for Beginners". The DVD has a nice section where each pose is explained and slowly demonstrated.

I used to find Yoga much easier. My arthritis has gotten worse and I've lost a lot of flexibility from my sedentary life. So I am hoping to get it back with this! Of course, the poses are pretty much impossible for me to do as extreme as the instructor, but I just modify it a little.

I also got Yoga AM & PM, but they rush through the poses too quickly. I like the ones where you get into a pose and they talk you through holding it and maximizing the stretch of the pose.
  #112   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 20:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/178/160 Female 5'8
BF:37%/37%/25%
Progress: 49%

For a really tough workout, I love Cathe Freidrich. All her tapes are different with new challenging moves, and lots of creativity. She really puts you through a workout! I also have all the Firm, Karen Vought, and Bryan Kest yoga among others. I kinda went crazy with tapes. It gets so hot in Texas, you kinda have to workout inside...
  #113   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 10:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 163/165/140 Female 65 inches
BF:34%/34%/?
Progress: -9%

Christie Taylor is GREAT!!
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 09:31

Stats: 210/172.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Anyone have a review on the Buns of Steel series?
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 10:04

Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%

I enjoy Tony Little's Total Body workout, Windsor Pilates and Susan Powter's Abs & Oils. Yes I know she is the queen of Low Fat diets, but that is how I started. NAd turns out her aerobic exercises are not bad at all. Get me going and I've seen my body change. The variety of exercises keeps me motivated and my body is definately showing a big change.
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 18:30

Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up beach bodies

I have to agree with Vanity3- i love the beach bodies power 90 and i've only done it for a week. It's great because you don't have to go to to the gym but it kicks your butt- YET it's okay for beginners. It's only 30 minutes a day and has a cardio day and a resistance training day - since it's a day one/ day two split you don't get sick of it....okay, ask me in a month. HOWEVER in a month i will be on the advanced system. I found it an excellent all over workout. I took before pictures and i hope to post my before and afters on the website (yikes! me in a bathing suit online!)
Anyway- add it to the list! Elle
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 03:00

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Other - mine is definitey one of the Winsor Pilates series. If I had to pic one, I would say "Accelerated Body Sculpting" I believe it's called, the 45-min. one in the basic DVD set.

If I had to pick a favorite cardio video, it would be Kari Anderson's "Tone it up!", which is a cardio routine that uses resistance bands for toning. Nice choreography, good music, no silly steps, no excessive perkyness (real word?)
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 14:49

Stats: 158/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 55%

I too LOVE the Winsor PilatesDvd's
I am wondering though if any one knows of anything that has both balls and bands together in the workout.
I used to go to a pump class and really miss it but work the hours its on
  #119   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 15:50

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Cindy Crawford's "The Next Challenge" is a great workout.
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 13:06

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

I LOVE to do Step Aerobics.
So, I'd have to say Gilad's Step Workout. Gin Miller also has an ass-kicking new video called "Simply Step", which is going back to the good old days of BASIC step, leg curls, leg lifts, etc, no fancy "twist your ankle trying to learn it" choreography.

I like Gilad's step video for the same reason. When I exercise I want to breathe hard and sweat, not worry about falling on my face !