Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 164/146/125
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy Sleepless in North Carolina

Has anyone out there had a problem with sleeping since they started low-carbing? Maybe it's coincidence, but since I started on 01/07/02, almost a month ago, I have had a lot of difficulty sleeping, tossing and turning and waking up at all hours of the night............. What is up with this? I'm still able to function during the day. And I'm actually thankful that I don't require a nap after my work day like I used to. But come midnight, I think I really should be feeling a little sleepy?? At 1:00 am I'm certain that I should be sleepy..... Is this unusual?
Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:41

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

You didn't mention what time you get up, or how many hours of sleep you are getting??? I suspect that you are experiencing the increased energy that comes with LCing. I didn't need as much sleep either for the first few months that I did Atkins, however now that I've started BFL, I definately need my 8 every night.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Hi there! and welcome to the forum. Funny you should mention sleeplessness, as I just read something on that last night. This is from Protein Power:
"Heavy ketosis can cause sleeplessness. If you are producing and releasing a lot of ketones, you may be able to increase your carbohydrates a little, or move ahead to Phase II Intervention." (Phase II = 50 carbs/day instead of 30)
What colour are your Ketostix before bed?

Hope that helps,
Kipling
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:46
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Yup

This happens to me too. Especially if I eat to closely to bed time or if I exercise after 6:00 p.m. Also, if I have not had enough hydration throughout the day. Drink you h20, but make sure you stop a few hours prior to bed or that will wake you up too.

Exercising has also helped me sleep more soundly.

On the other hand, I have found that I don't need as much sleep.

I just get up earlier now.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:46

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Wakey wakey

Drinky Winky
Nighty Nighty
Sleepy creepy
Wakey wakey
Winkle Tinkle
Bladder gladder

Last edited by rustpot : Mon, Feb-04-02 at 09:28.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Are you taking supplements? Calcium and magnesium especially have soothing, nerve-relaxing properties ... helpful for easing muscle aches and cramps experienced by some during the waking hours and for improving the quality of sleep for others.

Cal-mag can be purchased as a combination supplement ... usually 2:1, ie 333mg calcium to 167mg magnesium. RDA for calcium is 1000mg per day ... many are recommending up to 1500mg. Take 3 pills daily, the third dose in the evening. I think you'll find your sleep improved

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 14:07

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%

Are you by any chance taking an ECA stack -- a combination of ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin (white willow)? Some of the brand names include Metabolite, Hydroxycut or use terms like "thermogenic" or "fat burner". Any of these would definitely be candidates for sleep disturbances.

Allison
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all for your replies.
Marlaine, I get up at 6:30-7:00 am. I've been going to bed at approx 12:00 a.m. without luck. Some nights I wait until 1:00 hoping that I'll be more sleepy. But I'm not. I lie there in frustration for a while, finally drift off and then wake up at the very least 4 times per night. And that's a good night.
Kipling, I don't think it could be the ketosis thing for the one reason that I have not lost more than 1 lb in the past 2 1/2 weeks. My keto sticks are mid to dark pink. Not purple. That's at bedtime and in the a.m.
Terrie, I think you asked about water, I apologize if that's incorrect but I'm afraid if I try to back up to the original replies to my message I'll lose this post. Anyhow, I'm drinking about 70-90 ounces per day. Plenty, I think. And I do stop a while before bedtime.
And as for you Mr. Rustpot, you crack me up! There could be some truth to that poem for most people. But I'm part camel and have never been one to get up in the middle of the night to "tinky tinky", not even with the increased "drinky drinky".
Doreen, I'm taking a multivitamin, only 1/2 faithfully. Do you think 40 mg magnesium and 100 mg calcium are enough, or might this be my problem? I hate to have to buy more "stuff", this diet is getting expensive!! Sorry. That was a whine. Didn't mean for it to slip out.
Allison, that was an interesting note. I was not aware of that. However, I am not taking any of those products. I have an aversion to eating anything other than food. And perhaps my problem is from not taking my multivitamins consistently?
Well, thank you all. Anymore feedback, let me know. I'll be more faithful about my multivitamin and see if that makes a difference. Unless, Doreen, you don't think it contains enough of the Ca and Mg.
Theresa
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:35

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%

Theresa: You are very much in ketosis!
Quote:
Originally posted by tree
I don't think it could be the ketosis thing ... My keto sticks are mid to dark pink. Not purple. That's at bedtime and in the a.m ... I'm drinking about 70-90 ounces per day.
Unless you're severely dehydrated they don't get any darker than this! I've been a low-carber for 16 months altogether and I've never gotten one in that range. You're doing great!

If you're experiencing slow "weight" loss with this much response from ketostix, it's not that you aren't losing fat. You are burning fat. You may also be simultaneously adding weight from building muscle with the increase in dietary protein or re-filling hollow bones from past low-fat experiences.

Don't be discouraged. Hang in there. You will be very pleased with the way it all sorts out in the end. The newly added muscle will burn more fat even while you're at rest and make you very trim. Soon you'll find your clothes hang on you even though the scale hasn't moved much.

And the satisfaction that comes from seeing this change will probably help you sleep better at night.

Allison
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 20:08
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tree
Doreen, .... Do you think 40 mg magnesium and 100 mg calcium are enough, or might this be my problem?
Quote:
originally posted by doreen T
Cal-mag can be purchased as a combination supplement ... usually 2:1, ie 333mg calcium to 167mg magnesium. RDA for calcium is 1000mg per day ... many are recommending up to 1500mg. Take 3 pills daily, the third dose in the evening.

Theresa, this amount of calcium & magnesium is the RDA for good health regardless of dietary program. Consider it an investment.

While we're on the subject of supplements, it would be good to remember to take those multivites 100% faithfully . During the early weeks of ketosis, you will be - ahem - peeing a lot more as your cells release water and fat, and because you're drinking lots to keep your system flushed. This can lead to your potassium levels getting low .. and is a frequent cause of fatigue, tiredness and headaches during Induction. Your multivite probably has 30mg (or less) potassium in it. You can take potassium as a pill, but the least expensive way to get extra is to use a salt substitute, such as No Salt, NuSalt or Morton's Lite Salt. These contain potassium chloride and you sprinkle on food just as you would use regular table salt.

Hope this helps,

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:23
Registered Member

BF:
Default Potassium

An easy source of Potassium is apple cider vinegar. I was recommended to take 15 ml (1 tbsp) stirred into a large glass of water, with meals. I have tried searching the web, but have not discovered how much potassium is in 15ml of vinegar, but it might be worth a try.
The taste has rather a kick to it- like ginger beer.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:27
Registered Member

BF:

Doreen, I guess my multivitamin is a little below the RDA recommended amounts for Mg and Ca, huh? Wowee! I will definitely try that and see if it helps. In addition, I will be faithful about the multivitamin. Thanks so much for recommendations. I really appreciate them.

Allison, Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the encouragement! I felt so good reading your post! I didn't realize how much I needed that reassurance. I guess it was bothering me more than I knew that I wasn't losing any weight. And I guess I was uncertain about being in ketosis. So thanks for reassuring me. My first week, when I was really strict, I actually had Keto readings in the purple range. That and a very fast weight loss during that week sorta scared me into increasing my carbs. Now it's time to be a little more strict again. Anyhow, thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:33
Registered Member

BF:

Kipling,
I think I'll have to use that vinegar on my salad or something. The thought of drinking vinegar, and even more so, vinegared water turns my queesy stomach. My stomach has been sensitive since the Psyllium concoction I tried drinking last week on a couple of occassions. I love cooked cabbage with vinegar, so I think that will be my best bet. Thanks for the advice. Does it have to be apple cider vinegar?
Tree
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 23:00
Registered Member

BF:

AFAIK, yes, it has to be apple cider vinegar. Do a web search, if you like. I found all manner of pill hawkers and apple cider bottlers, all with similar claims of aiding the digestion.

All the best to you!

Kipling
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 19:33
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

According to our carb counter (Low Carb Tools from the orange menu bar) ... 1 Tbsp cider vingegar has 15mg potassium, and 0.9g carbs

1 cup shredded romaine lettuce has 162.4mg potassium, and 0.4g digestible carbs.

Doreen