Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%
Default need some advice..... want to start running!!

Hi All

Well been on the low Carb WOl for 5 months now and its all going well and so far ive lost 53 1/2 lbs. I swim half a mile a day five days a week and that is really helping to tone up my body, however, for as long as I remember I have wanted to run. I havent got time to goto the gym, nor would it be easy to go out at night running ( I have a daughter), so I decided to take the plunge and treat myself to a treadmill.

Its arriving on Monday, and imreally looking forward to using it as Im so determined to teach myself to run - and thats where I need some advice !!

I truely can not even run around the block, in that respect im so unfit, I have spoken to some people I work with who run on a regular basis, and they assure me that I will be able to do it, it just may take some time. BUT(!) Im not sure how to structure/ build up my running, therefore im hoping that some of you may be able to give me some sound advice as to what I should be looking to do. Im interested in finding out about what speeds I should be looking at, how and when to use the inclnes ( the treadmill has automatic incline increase) and how many times I week I should be running ( or should I say walking in the early days!!!)

Would really appreciate some advice, although I bet your thinking I should have looked into this abit more before I bought one, but Im so determined to do this I couldnt wait!!

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas !!

Lisa x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 21:51

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Lisa,
Congrats on your weight loss! You have done a great job. I have a home treadmill and I like it alot but I only walk on mine. Your treadmill may come with a feature called ifit that you can look up on the internet for a beginners program. You can also go to Runners World (mag) website for beginning running programs.
As with your swimming program I'm sure you started out carefully and built your distance over time. It's the same concept with the treadmill. I would start walking first, slowly and with no incline perhaps for 10 minutes a day then slowly build up your time. After a few weeks you can increase the speed a bit, walking faster and adding incline. Whe you are really comfortable on your machine consider a slow jog 12-13 miles per hour on no incline. Make sure your safety chip is in place.
Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress! You sure are getting a jumpstart on the New Year and are motivating me to get back into serious training!
Maureen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 22:04

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default newrunner.com

Runnersworld.com has a wonderful section for beginners:
newrunner.com
You can find everything you have to know from how to getting started to your first race.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Have to applaud you for reaching the decision to begin a running program! I was in your shoes 9 months ago, and am happy to say it was one of the best decisions I've made in the last 10 years.

I wanted to add a regular cardio-exercise program to my lifestyle, but one that didn't require a major $$ investment or joining a gym (taking time away from my family). Though I hated running during high school/college, I have found it to be very enjoyable and rewarding now (age 35).

I started simply by going to Oshman's and buying a decent pair of running shoes (about $75). My first run was about 2/10 of a mile around the block. Within a week I got up to half a mile, and just kept adding small increments from there. The rule is to add no more than 10% distance to your longest run each week.

After 6 months I ran in my first 5K race of my life, and am now training for my first half-marathon (translates to a 20k race). I train by running 6 miles every other day.

And by the way, I've stayed on the LC WOE the entire time. (though I do find on the day of my run that I can get away with eating the hamburger bun or an occasional piece of cheesecake and still lose weight!)

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 11:53
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi! I just came to the exercise forum to post this question! I saw your thread so I thought I'd just jump in and bump it to the top.
I've always had a secret desire to run some kind of run....... mini marathon or 5K or something. Doesn't have to be major. Starting at over 200 lbs I never considered it a serious goal. But as the pounds are dropping I'm thinking maybe I can actually reach this goal..... maybe in the fall.
I'm not sure where to start. Thanks for the links above, I'll check them out. So far I've been doing increased leg strengthening and on the treadmill I alternate walking a song/jogging a song.
I'm not aiming for the Boston marathon by any means but any help would be appreciated in my little dream!
Thanks,
Gypsy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:59

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

[quote]Whe you are really comfortable on your machine consider a slow jog 12-13 miles per hour on no incline.[/quote

12 or 13 miles per hour?!? That would be averaging a 5 minute mile, not exactly what I consider a slow jog

Lissa I commend you as well for starting to run. I too have started running in the past week and it's actually kind of fun. I went and did something stupid and committed to running a mini-marathon in late APRIL of THIS YEAR While it may seem far fetched, I think I can do it.(well at least FINISH the dang thing, not run the whole thing). But it has given me great motivation to stay strict on my diet and quit drinking any alcohol.....because I figure I really need to lose about 30 more lbs by then to be able to do it.

Good luck and enjoy!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:16

BF:
Default See you all in Boston:-))

mrschmelz - you underestimate Maureen (mmoranmic). She is a fantastic ultramarthoner, for her 12-13 miles/hour - close to the Marathon world record speed - a slow jog:-))) Ok, I am sure she wanted to say 12-13 min/mile:-)

Gals/guys you all can do it. Anybody, who does not have any serious heart condition or serious previous leg injury can run a mini Marathon.

mrschmelz - to comitting yourself to a mini Marathon was a very good and brave decision. Nothing stupid in it. Last January I comitted myself to a mini Marathon too. And I DID IT:-))) I needed a little more time than 4 months, because of the total lack of previous running experience, and because of my age - 46, but I did it. There is no better motivation than a mini Marathon comitment on the fridge:-) (My full Marathon comitment there too.)

GypsyAngel - if you start running you will see the pounds melting giving more strength to running, melting more pounds:-)) You have plenty of time for the Boston Marathon. Do you know how many 60-70-80 year old are there?
Check the runnersworld, one of the best site. I followed their program from 30 min walk to running a mini Mararthon, and following their program to the full Marathon too.

So see you all in Boston:-)))) Meanwhile please, share your training/race experiences. We all can learn a lot from each other.

Last edited by Galadriell : Sun, Jan-11-04 at 19:52.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 23:41

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
mrschmelz - to comitting yourself to a mini Marathon was a very good and brave decision. Nothing stupid in it. Last January I comitted myself to a mini Marathon too. And I DID IT:-))) I needed a little more time than 4 months, because of the total lack of previous running experience, and because of my age - 46, but I did it. There is no better motivation than a mini Marathon comitment on the fridge:-) (My full Marathon comitment there too.)

I am in my early 20's so I figured if anything my youth should help me through the race even if I can't. It's amazing the motivation laying your word down on the line gives you........and I have been sure to tell at least 15 people to give me that extra motivation of "you cant give up cause you already told everyone you are doing it". Today we went to a bar and watched football. I drank about 120 ounces(7 bathroom trips during the game ) and ate 4 chicken wings while everyone else enjoyed their beer.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 23:53
Circling...

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
GypsyAngel - if you start running you will see the pounds melting giving more strength to running, melting more pounds:-)) You have plenty of time for the Boston Marathon. Do you know how many 60-70-80 year old are there?
Check the runnersworld, one of the best site. I followed their program from 30 min walk to running a mini Mararthon, and following their program to the full Marathon too.

So see you all in Boston:-)))) Meanwhile please, share your training/race experiences. We all can learn a lot from each other.

Galadriell - Thanks so much for the info and encouragement. I will check out runnersworld and am looking into where I can run on an indoor track around here because I find it way to cold to run outside now and I'd like to get off the treadmill. I am also going to see if I can find when/where there will be a mini marathon in my area so I can set a goal like that.

mrschmelz I'm glad to hear you're enjoying running. Best of luck in April!!! And let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the tips!
Cheers,
Gypsy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default Learn to Run programs

I completed the learn to run program for the VAncouver Sun Run, and if I could do it, ANYONE could. There is a fabulous page which includes a training program (although if you have time, I would spend two weeks at each level before moving on to the next). And GOOD shoes are essential...go get fitted properly at a running store:

http://www.sportmedbc.com/sportmed....training_run10k

Just as an aside, I did this program when I was fresh from my third pregnancy, and very overweight. I was completely out of shape, so much so that I could not complete the WARMUP at first. I really struggled, but if you do your three sessions a week, your body will rise to the challenge.

Note that I did not run the entire 10k, I did a 75% run, 25% walk. Most people use some form of run/walk to get a better time and reduce the risk of injury. A goal for "later" can be working up to a higher ratio of running to walking over the course.

Other points: most people I know have some trouble with minor injuries and aches and pains when they learn to run. Do not let them discourage you, but do let your physiotherapist help you with quick treatment and good advice. I developed a knee problem that went away completely after I followed my physio's advice to switch to powerwalking till the knee healed and was stronger (I also did stretching and strengthening exercises for my entire body). Later that year I developed a fairly severe achilles tendon injury that also completely vanished after I followed my physio's advice on treatment and rehab. Runners know who the best physio's are, so if you need a reference, ask around.

Best advice: do a 10K walking program first if you are really out of shape. That will give your frame time to build muscle that keeps you protected from injury.

Ramp up slowly, but work out 3 x per week.
If it hurts, back off and do last week's program again.
Leave out the hills till late in your training.
If you are treadmilling, use a minimum grade of 1 to simulate running on the ground (which is not helping you out by moving under your feet).
**Do core and ab work to help stabilize your shock absorbing system.**

Have fun, running is very empowering and great for the weight loss!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 23:40
Circling...

BF:

westernwil Thanks so much for the website and for the encouraging words. And congrats on your 10K!!!!! That is awesome!!!!

I'm checking out the websites and gathering info and will keep y'all posted on my progress!!!

Thanks,
Cheers,
Gypsy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 08:10

Stats: 143/134/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hey all you runners. Did you feel like you had enough energy to run while doing Atkins? I'm going to begin training for a 10K and I keep reading all the running sites about how it is bad to be doing Low Carb and running. Any thoughts? Helpful Hints?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:06

BF:
Default no need for huge carboload....

I started to train last January for a half-Marathon. Without any previous running experience. I finished in 2:13 last October. Then finished third in my age group on a 10k hill race. (Check my finish line photo in the gallery - do I look like exhausted? I only had a galss of water before start. ) Last weekend I finished another half-Marathon in 1:59 (20th in my age group) - with one minute faster pace than last time. I am running another half-Marthon this Sunday - all these at 46, and without ANY carboload. I had 60 carb/day during my my weightloss from January to October. Since October I keep my carbs between 60-80. Somehow seeing good improvement in both speed and endurance - without any carboload. And no, it is not MY success story, it is an LC success story.

I always run with empty stomach (I mean only a glass of water) if my run is 90 or less minutes. If it is over 90 minutes, I have one cup of Gatorade before run, and 2x1/2 at 60 and 90 minute. But I had only 1 cup before and 2x1/4 cup during my last weekend race.
The carbs from Gatorade is included in the 60-80 daily carb intake I mentioned. (1 cup Gatorade is 14 g carb)

I feel fully energized - despite of all the warning about bonking, energy loss, necessary 200-300-400 carb "mandatory" pre-race carboload, etc.

My experience: start it slowly. Your body need some time to adjust to the fat fuel mode contrary the previous carb fuel mode. I was a total beginner, my body had plenty of time for this adjust (I needed 3 month to be able to run 3 mile:-))) I mean I needed the 3 months not because of the lack of energy/carb, but because of my weak legs...
If you have previous running exercise, be ready to accept that during the first weeks you can run less, or slower than earlier. But this is only temporary. Very soon you will get back not only your previous energy level, but much higher:-)

Something very important, if your training/race more than 2 hours, you need a somehow different approach, but still no need for excessive carboload.
If you do a search for "marathon" you can read - similar - experiences of other long distnace runners.

Good luck for your training, looking forward to read your experiences.

Last edited by Galadriell : Thu, Jan-15-04 at 13:20.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 19:17
Registered Member

Stats: 200/192/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Another good site for a starter training program for running...couch to 5K
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml