Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 17:16
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Were about right on par I do about a 13 minute mile, and you're closer to 12.

Great job fellow runner
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 17:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

[QUOTE=NixCarbos]Were about right on par I do about a 13 minute mile, and you're closer to 12.

I thought I'd be doing 13+ but managed to whip out 12:20's compared to the 12:10's I did at a 5 mile race just before the injury. Not too bad for a long layoff. Are your 13's in a race or just in training? I bet we would make good rivals! I don't know if I'll ever get back in the 10:00's. I made it into the 9's for a 5K once! Almost threw up!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 17:50
Give A Damn

BF:

That's in training.

I did a 5k run once at 11:30.

I'm scared to puke so I don't push overly hard.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 19:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Running is the worst thing you can do, and i do not mean you but everyone, i am seeing a sport doctor regularly for back pain, and as so many patients that are ex runners, joggers and sprinters, most of them started when they where young and are now in there 40-50-60, with arthitis in the knees and pain.

Running as so much impact on the whole body, each time you put your foot down its 10 times your bodyweight as impact.

I used to run when i was younger to get my cardio up for tae kwon do competition, each time i finished running my knees would hurt like crazy.

Still if you decide to go ahead and run make sure to have some very good running shoes, not cheap shoes a la walmart stuff, and try to run on a soft surface to limite impact.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 22:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
That's in training.

I did a 5k run once at 11:30.

I'm scared to puke so I don't push overly hard.

I trained like a dog for that 9:55 5K lol! I saw my ex husband's ex college roommate who never liked me much so I didn't want to flub too bad so I gassed it We would have been neck and neck at the race, then. Do you ever race around Philly?
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 08:19
Give A Damn

BF:

No, but that's not completely out of the stars for me!

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently training through the snow. Blech! Worst run I had was -30C. Thank goodness for the running gear they provide now.

How is it running outside in Philly?
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixCarbos
No, but that's not completely out of the stars for me!

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently training through the snow. Blech! Worst run I had was -30C. Thank goodness for the running gear they provide now.

How is it running outside in Philly?

Holy cow. Worst I ever ran was a bit below zero in Wisconsin. I overdressed the first night (was there on business) and was good the next night. The good thing is at that temperature it's much more pleasant to get around running since it's warmer. We had a blizzard here in Philly and I ran in it cause it was warm and no wind - just snow coming down. I am only doing two runs a week as I rehab from my injury so I've been able to plan around bad weather. I have good trail shoes so have not needed Yak Trax or anything, as I am sure you do.

I really want to do the 30K in Hamilton, ON sometime, but that is far, far from where you are...It's on my radar for 2011.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 10:23
Give A Damn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Holy cow. Worst I ever ran was a bit below zero in Wisconsin. I overdressed the first night (was there on business) and was good the next night. The good thing is at that temperature it's much more pleasant to get around running since it's warmer. We had a blizzard here in Philly and I ran in it cause it was warm and no wind - just snow coming down. I am only doing two runs a week as I rehab from my injury so I've been able to plan around bad weather. I have good trail shoes so have not needed Yak Trax or anything, as I am sure you do.

I really want to do the 30K in Hamilton, ON sometime, but that is far, far from where you are...It's on my radar for 2011.

That's only what, 3 times what I'm doing now? My next goal after the 10k would be a half marathon ~ 21kms. Seriously though, what's another 9 kms

The yak trax are a must when running out here. Especially on the tar mac (its like spongy black cement). The ice is brutal, often doing a balancing act going across intersections. My mid section and hips get quite the workout. Definitely not training for speed when running on ice and snow. Its a distance thing. But man, when that stuff melts, you find that you have increased your speed tremendously!

Quote:
Philly and I ran in it cause it was warm and no wind - just snow coming down.

That sounds really beautiful. I could totally run that. One part of my course is about 4 kms long and it is a trail that runs along the outside of the city. Major wind and its on the north side, so you can imagine the cold "breeze". I bring along my balaclava specifically for that section, and then take it off when done and stuff it in my pocket for the rest. Otherwise I'd just get too hot and when I'm overheated I slow down.

Quote:
rehab from my injury

How is healing going? Does it slow you down a lot?
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/265/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
"I am 255lb and I would love to run. I have the wii fit plus and I try and do 15 minutes of slow running 5 times a week but after reading this, I don't know if I should be doing that? "

What made you think that? You are already doing it! I started running at 240 and, while I have had injuries common to runners, even thin runners get injured frequently if they do things wrong. You are doing great - 15 minutes five days a week is very respectable.

I weight 225 right now and I just raced five miles on Saturday. You can do it!

Thank you! and thank you for the encouragement
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 16:16

BF:

"That's only what, 3 times what I'm doing now? My next goal after the 10k would be a half marathon ~ 21kms. Seriously though, what's another 9 kms "

It would take awhile to get back there. My longest run ever was 17 miles (on a track so in some ways does not count. I did alot of 14 milers last year - I am slow but I like running long.

" My mid section and hips get quite the workout. Definitely not training for speed when running on ice and snow. "

You are getting a much better workout for all that you do. Don't worry about time!

" I bring along my balaclava specifically for that section, and then take it off when done and stuff it in my pocket for the rest."

I really need a balaclava for just those couple of days when it gets real cold. I like the cold more than the heat so I am out in winter and on the TM in the summer.

"How is healing going? Does it slow you down a lot?"

Very well. I found this miracle chiropractor who is helping me alot. I was looking at major abdominal surgery for repair (cannot heal on its own usually) but I may be able to avoid it. Still waiting for final diagnostics. I was 10 seconds slower per mile Saturday than my last 5-miler. I was coming off of half-marathon training when I did that, so I think I'm doing relatively well. Still not near my best time for the distance (1:20 per mile slower) but I'm just glad to be running.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 18:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayta
Thank you! and thank you for the encouragement

Go, Zayta.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 12:12
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:

Let me know if you do come up here for it! That's my neck of the woods, as a matter of fact, I'm doing it for the first time in 4 weeks! The last 10k is all hills, I've run the hills in training, but not after doing 20k first! I'm quite apprehensive about it, actually.

I've done the 5k at the same race a couple of times, the race finishes in the sports stadium, quite spectacular, actually!
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 240/215/200 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't recommend lots of long, slow, distance running for anyone - even skinny people.

Persistent injuries that refuse to heal? Sounds like too much running to me.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 23:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Let me know if you do come up here for it! That's my neck of the woods, as a matter of fact, I'm doing it for the first time in 4 weeks! The last 10k is all hills, I've run the hills in training, but not after doing 20k first! I'm quite apprehensive about it, actually.

I've done the 5k at the same race a couple of times, the race finishes in the sports stadium, quite spectacular, actually!

That's awesome - I wish you a huge amount of luck. I am so excited about that race for some reason - it just looks like so much fun. I love latter-stage hills in races, actually - I think you'll be fine. You could walk them, too, to conserve energy.

I am slow but I run an even, measured pace and just get it done. Most of the people I am racing in the later stages of a race just don't have the endurance to gas it at the end and power up hills. I consider them my strategic advantage. I was in a race last weekend where I chased a lady for 4.5 miles and just could not get her. The last 1/2 mile has a huge hill - as soon as i saw it I knew I had her - and I did.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 01:09
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Good for you! That's great. You would probably catch me, too. I tend to go out too fast and run out of gas near the end on the longer races. I made that mistake on my half marathon last September. I had a *great* first 16k and then slowed right down for the last 5. I do the long distances in 10s & 1s, running for 10, walking for 1, as a rule and I had to really, really fight with myself not to walk for more in that last 5k.