Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 07:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The National Review adds their voice against the dietary guidelines:
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...t-bad-after-all

And Fortune comments on the controversy: http://fortune.com/2015/10/07/dietary-guidelines-usda/
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 10:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for this link, Janet. In reading the article, the thing that strikes me most is that the same criticisms of the dietary guidelines can be applied to medicine as well. We have become "wary and weary" of the constant blood tests that mean nothing or encourage faulty advice or result in harmful medications. We really do have a health problem when the majority of the doctors I've seen over the past many years are basing their medical diagnosis and approaches on the belief that cholesterol must be lowered and prescriptions are required. A truly vicious circle!!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 10:31
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I felt Fortune's article spent so much time making sure we knew the claims against Nina, that all that space conveniently missed actually addressing her claims except in the "he said / she said" sort of way. She attacked the guidelines and the motivations for the guidelines; in turn, she is personally attacked (of course it's alllll about how she is trying to sell a book). I'm a lot more concerned with: "Really? You DO cover the legit and latest science on ___? Give some examples?"

PJ
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-15-15, 11:35

Yes, the Fortune article was just a "there's a controversy out there" piece. The New Yorker adds some detail:

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/eleme...s-may-get-wrong
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-15, 03:17

I missed that on October 6th that Secretaries Burwell and Vilsack had already issued a statement through the USDA blog (who knew a government agency blogs ) that consideration of sustainability is out, but that:

"This year, we will release the 2015 edition, and though the guidelines have yet to be finalized, we know they will be similar in many key respects to those of past years. Fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grains and lean meats and other proteins, and limited amounts of saturated fats, added sugars and sodium remain the building blocks of a healthy lifestyle.

- See more at: http://blogs.usda.gov/2015/10/06/2015-dietary-guidelines-giving-you-the-tools-you-need-to-make-healthy-choices/#sthash.X3DuRegl.dpuf"
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-15, 03:55

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I missed that on October 6th that Secretaries Burwell and Vilsack had already issued a statement through the USDA blog (who knew a government agency blogs ) that consideration of sustainability is out, but that:

"This year, we will release the 2015 edition, and though the guidelines have yet to be finalized, we know they will be similar in many key respects to those of past years. Fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grains and lean meats and other proteins, and limited amounts of saturated fats, added sugars and sodium remain the building blocks of a healthy lifestyle.

- See more at: http://blogs.usda.gov/2015/10/06/2015-dietary-guidelines-giving-you-the-tools-you-need-to-make-healthy-choices/#sthash.X3DuRegl.dpuf"

This is just so disheartening. I am so glad that I can think for myself. Relying on the government or the powers that be to do my thinking for me would have me in an early grave as it has so many people. As I was taking a walk yesterday I saw one of my neighbors drive up to the local convenience store. She is probably younger than I am but is visibly in bad health, extremely fat with her legs always wrapped in elastic bandages and walking even a few steps with great difficulty. A visiting nurse visits her regularly. Of course i don't know if getting proper nutritional advice would help her but it would be nice if proper nutritional advice was at least offered.

Jean
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-15, 07:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Of course i don't know if getting proper nutritional advice would help her but it would be nice if proper nutritional advice was at least offered.

Jean

I loathe the whining excuse that LCHF diets are "hard to stick to." Who are you to be the one to decide that? I've been on it for years and it's the easiest "diet" I've ever tried!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-17-15, 08:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

.......Dr. Volek sent me an email today about a petition he created to raise awareness and put pressure on the USDA and HHS to make meaningful changes to the Dietary Guidelines set to release in December.

https://www.change.org/p/mike-conaw...uiter=400169012

]

8k signatures in one week. That is pretty impressive.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-15, 05:47

Dr Volek's petition has over 14,000 signatures now.

Inspired by Nina Teicholz's BMJ article, Dr Georgia Ede dives into a very long analysis of the Proposed Dietary Guidleines. Good that she is back to posting on her blog...a balanced understanding of the research and evidence for recommendations.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/2015-d...elines-critique
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 04:29

Dr Michael Eades includes a good summary of the on-going reactions to Nina Teicholz's BMJ article, including links to various blow back and the weird fallout for Dr Davis Katz.
This long blog post covers many aspects of the DGAC, but helpful on this thread as well as a summary of what happened.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...-for-americans/

Quote:
From the perspective of the members of the DGAC, the previous Dietary Guidelines and the ones before those fit their concept of the state of the art of nutritional science. It’s the confirmation bias writ large. They need to be challenged. They need to be prodded out of their cognitive comfort zone. Which is exactly what The BMJ editorial did. If nothing else, The BMJ piece put future DGAC members on alert that the same old, same old isn’t going to fly under the radar as it has so many times in the past. For that, I am devoutly thankful.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 07:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Dr. Eades;

Quote:
As the time draws near for the final version of the DGA to be released, a number of groups are going into overdrive to get Congress to either change them or leave them alone. I just got an email from none other than Michael Jacobsen, the head of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), famous for having inflicted trans fats on America (which they seemed to forget as they mounted a campaign recently to remove trans fats from the food supply). Jacobsen, of course, does not want the DGA to reflect the research showing saturated fat is harmless. He’s worried that the food lobbyists will get to Congress “behind closed doors” and persuade them to change the DGA. Why?

"They don’t want consumers to have information how healthy diets – like eating more fruits and vegetables and less meat – can prevent illnesses such as obesity and type 2 diabetes."

Other advocates are desperately trying to force the DGA out early in an effort to keep them free from Congressional meddling, which, obviously, these advocates feel would not be in their best interest.

"In urging publication of the guidelines before the spending resolution expires, advocates say they hope to avoid a debate over controversial riders, including one in the House agriculture appropriations bill that would limit the evidence for the recommendations to only the strongest scientific proof."

Why on earth would we not want only the strongest scientific proof? Jesus wept.

That got me curious about the appropriations bill. Here's the relevant part;

http://appropriations.house.gov/upl...mitteedraft.pdf

Quote:
SEC. 734. None of the funds made available by this Act may be used to release or implement the final version of the eighth edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, revised pursuant to section 301 of the National Nutrition Monitoring and Related Research Act of 1990, unless the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of Health and Human Services comply with each of the following requirements:

(1) Each revision to any nutritional or dietary information or guideline contained in the 2010 edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and any new nutritional or dietary information or guideline to be included in the eighth edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans—

(A) shall be based on scientific evidence
that has been rated ‘‘Grade I: Strong’’ by the
grading rubric developed by the Nutrition Evi-
dence Library of the Department of Agri-
culture; and
(B) shall be limited in scope to only matters of diet and nutrient intake.

This isn't about things already in the dietary guidelines, it's about revision. So while this supposedly would protect from weak science being used to alter dietary recommendations, at the same time it helps to cement in the existing recommendations already based on weak science. Disregarding weaker science sounds good--but if you want to refute pre-existing claims, do you really need a level of evidence that's any stronger than the evidence used to support making those claims in the first place? How about disregarding all of the weaker science? So when Dr. Eades says,

Quote:
Why on earth would we not want only the strongest scientific proof?

I say yes, but I'm afraid that's not what's being offered.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 15:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've always found it utterly bizarre that the mere existence of something is supposed to be enough to continue it.

We wouldn't have the wheel if these folks had anything to say about it.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 15:35

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

But the bureaucrats have found a way to keep their jobs.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 00:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

At the end of the comment section Dr. Eades mentions he and Mary Dan are working on Protein Power 2.0. Oh God, I can't wait---
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 02:14
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

What "new" things do you suppose have come around since the original? The basics are pretty much the same, yeah?

(Genuinely curious. It was their book that actually brought me into LC, finally, although I later abandoned interest in them due to ME's behavior toward commenters on his blog.)

PJ